• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

what can i do about this?

goalseter88

imported post

i took my front sight in to Cherokee firearms and had them put a new night sight on. but when i got it back the front sight didn't glow( and yes i checked them before hand to make sure they were working before i gave it to him to put on)

i got to wait till tomorrow to hopefully i can get the boss's phone number since he doesn't work on weekends, and hopefully he honor his mistake and do something about it. but if not i curious what others would suggest doing. i never had an issue like this before.

i guessing he is liable for damage and could take him to court for that but it prob cost me more to do that then the sights where even though i hate to have to buy another 150 dollar front sight again.

but besides the court route what else can i do to go about this if he doesn't accept that he messed it up or plain out refuses to do anything.

but the best out come is that i can talk to him in person and work something out and honor his work and fix his own mistakes. if he did that i wont hold nothing against him, or the store, b/c everyone makes mistakes. but i cant stand when people screw something up and then try to get out of repairing it. and at his stand point it be also good to keep good customer satisfaction. b/c i know for at least me, if he screws me over i going to tell everyone one i know about him, and gun owners seem to go for respectability when they give someone their money, and their gun to work on!!!

zekester

imported post

JMO...if he is a reputable dealer he'll take care of it...BUT....especially on night sights, you should have "showed"him they worked....

The only other advise I would have, is to learn to work on your own weapon....

I know, not much help, but like I said....JMO

Z

texasmike74

imported post

Why go direct with manager? Did you deal with with the manager and was he the one that installed the new sights? I would start with the sales person at the counter and then if you have trouble, move up. I'm sure if it is a reputable store, they will assist you with anything. Just remain calm and tell them what happened.

goalseter88

imported post

texasmike74 wrote:
Why go direct with manager? Did you deal with with the manager and was he the one that installed the new sights? I would start with the sales person at the counter and then if you have trouble, move up. I'm sure if it is a reputable store, they will assist you with anything. Just remain calm and tell them what happened.

i went with the manager since. 1) he the one who does all the installing of sights etc. the regular workers do not work on the guns. 2) the regular workers told me i have to talk to him, that they cant do anything about it, it be up to the boss on what to do.

but on a side note i just got back from there. the guy at the store gave me the owners number. but he wouldnt talk to me when i called. i asked if we could set a time i could call him that work out for him beter since i work during his work hours that he would be there. but he said no that i just have to come in while he is there.

silo

imported post

Sounds like a guy who doesn't want any repeat business. Which unfortunately seems to be common with small gun shops. That's the reason I won't go back to Mike's Guns in St. Charles.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mofalloncarry wrote:
Sounds like a guy who doesn't want any repeat business. Which unfortunately seems to be common with small gun shops. That's the reason I won't go back to Mike's Guns in St. Charles.
LOLOL

Mike's guns had great pricing but you had better be prepared to deal with a walkin talkin moron when you hit the door. I have never, and I mean NEVER come across a person in customer service that acted like such an idiot, not even the pimple faced kids at mcdonalds.

I bought a few off of him but haven't been in there in a couple of years because I DO NOT DEALING WITH FOLKS LIKE THAT!

tweeder

imported post

let me know how it turns out cause im from springfield and wont be doing any business there if they dont take care of their customers. im new to the area so im also looking for a great place to do business

goalseter88

imported post

i let yah know on the outcome.

i recomend loftis jewelery and pawn on sunshine across the street from bass pro.

or gunsmoke. i always heard bad things about them but i always got my stuff from them and i never had a problem they always gave me the extra time, didnt try to upsell to the most expensive thing when the middle range item would do just fine.

silo

imported post

LMTD wrote:
mofalloncarry wrote:
LOLOL

Mike's guns had great pricing but you had better be prepared to deal with a walkin talkin moron when you hit the door. I have never, and I mean NEVER come across a person in customer service that acted like such an idiot, not even the pimple faced kids at mcdonalds.

I bought a few off of him but haven't been in there in a couple of years because I DO NOT DEALING WITH FOLKS LIKE THAT!
Well said. I had read the online reviews of Mike's, and they weren't good. But I tried it anyway. Here's my story (posted from another forum):

This afternoon I decided to go get a new Gunvault Mini safe. My CCW instructor told us of a local place that has a good deal. My problem with this place is they've gotten HORRIBLE reviews on the Internet, mainly for acting incredibly pretentious. But there were a few people who said they were great and had fair prices. Nonetheless, I was just going for the safe.

So I get there, walk in, and it's reasonably busy. A man comes over and asks if anyone needs help, so I said that I attended the instructor's course, and said they had a good deal on the safes. He says, "Yeah." Walks over, gets the safe from another guy who seemed to have an upbeat voice, rings it up, and hands it over. No words whatsoever, even when I would say "thank you" after getting my card back and after he handed it to me. I even added a "have a nice day." I always make it a point to be extremely nice and thankful, but I got absolutely no response back from this guy.

I've honestly never been treated that way except for maybe two times at the local Wendy's drive-thru by teenagers who just don't care about their job. But I didn't really expect that from a gun store with customers willing to pay pretty large amounts of money for guns, safes, and services.

I'm 0/2 on brick and mortar gun shops around here. The first one the lady was nice but way overcharged, and the second was just appalling customer service, in my opinion. I guess I'll be sticking to my small dealer for guns and the Bass Pro Shop for ammo.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

mofalloncarry wrote:
LMTD wrote:
So I get there, walk in, and it's reasonably busy. A man comes over and asks if anyone needs help, so I said that I attended the instructor's course, and said they had a good deal on the safes. He says, "Yeah." Walks over, gets the safe from another guy who seemed to have an upbeat voice, rings it up, and hands it over. No words whatsoever, even when I would say "thank you" after getting my card back and after he handed it to me. I even added a "have a nice day." I always make it a point to be extremely nice and thankful, but I got absolutely no response back from this guy.
Sounds like he treated you nicer than he does most folks to be honest.

Mike will not order guns, if he does not have it in stock. I went there to get one, he did not have it, I asked him about ordering he said no, but looked on the computer and said he would have within a week, week later stop in, not yet but definitely next week most likely on Wed, asked if he would call, that was a joke, called him on Wed and stated it was confirmed for Thursday afternoon delivery, Friday morning I show up with my PTA in hand and tell em I am here to pick it up, hands me the 4473 and heads back to find it, I start filling out the 4473, he comes back and doesn't have it, I reminded him he stated on Wed it would be in late afternoon thur, he just starts going ballistic about WTF am I trying to pull, if he doesn't have it he doesn't have it and he did not call me to tell me it arrived and what the hell am I doing wasting his 4473's and he has to keep track of those etc.

Bear in mind, I am at the register counter with all of the paperwork, over 3k in cash, ID's ready, there can be no doubt that I am a buyer and he is belittling me like I am some kid whom has asked to look at every gun in the case. I really wanted to say a few curse words and put him in his place, but instead I was so blown away I just said "are you serious?" picked up my id, slid it into the money clip, grabbed the PTA and walked out. It is also worthy to know, I had previously spent about 2k on a variety of guns, accessories and what not.

I found the pistol at another shop, 10 bucks more, they gave me a box of target ammo for buying from them.

Do I need to explain where my gun business shifted to from that moment forward? When folks ask I always recommend Mikes as the one having the lowest prices but that the owner is a dick, every single person who made the trip there has come to me after wards and stated they thought I was joking or was just being hard on the guy because I am too picky, they then immediately confirm my diagnosis of him.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

For that pistol, Nassau had it in stock which was really fantastic since I had monkeyied around with Mike for 13 or 14 days and my PTA was going to expire, I am glad we got rid of that PITA!

I have heard they have some racist tendancies and literature that they distribute at gun shows from Nassau, however I have not seen it myself.

Pricing seems really good, service IE asked if you want help is real good, folks are friendly, the only thing I have heard that is not positive is you do not want them smithing on something, but I haven't had them do any so that is also a rumor as well.

I shop at pretty much all shops, from Sikeston to Alton and Belleville to Warrenton.

zekester

imported post

Thank you...

I too bought my last gun from Nassau.....good people.

I have dealt with Mike in the past....as long as they have it in stock, or you know what you are looking for, no problems.

I have been in Mike's where a bunch of idiots didn't know what as going on, and I know Mike is very frustrated about it.

I still do business with Mike....unlike Nassua, his shop is very visable from 94....he gets alot of gawkers and he told me that he is just tired of the crap questions that everyone should know....Not the best in customer service....I agree....but if you get to know him .....he is not "that" bad...

The only reason I bought my last gun form Nassau...it is only because they had it in stock...

I was impressed with Nassau....had a prob with my G36...took care of it right away..

Z

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

There are other issues surrounding Mike and giving him credit, he does not hide from them.

Mike thinks he has the best judgment on whom should have what guns. He has made this clear by his refusal to sell non-LEO 5.7 mm ammo, or mags or other parts for the ps90 clones. He is under the impression they can penetrate body armor and should not be owned or operated by non-LEO's.

He is aware of the negative reviews and comments on forums due to this attitude and refuses to alter his views and practices despite business it cost him. While many feel this is terrible, as do I, I do tend to at least give him credit for standing upon his own resolve without regard for how much merit others give that resolve.

silo

imported post

Mike's a prick and that's that. That's all I need to know to stop going to a place. I honestly don't know how he's stayed in business with being such a douchebag.

If he was smart, he'd answer the damn questions with a smile on his face like the rest of us in the real world do. Who cares if someone is a beginner to guns? That's even better for him, and they likely won't venture out to another gun shop since he has all the answers and what they need.

I only go to a very small independent dealer in Foristell for my guns. He only charges $20 more than his price plus shipping to get it to him (usually $20). Guy treats me great, has a smile on his face, and is willing to answer any question I have.

goalseter88

imported post

well i went and talked to the cherrokee firarms owner who did the work on my gun, and he replaced it without any arguements. i guess he just wasnt happy with his employee giving his number to me. which i understand, but i dont care that he took it out on me when it was the employees fault for giving me it and specifically saying to call him.

i forgot to ask since i told the boss i wouldnt be gone from work more than half an hour and that gave me very little time and i totally forgot to ask for atleast part of my money back for not being able to install it. i mean i feel like i payed him to put it on and correctly. i guess techinquely he did put it on so i guess he should be payed for it even if he did break it both times he did it. but most places will refund you if they cant put the part on.

the only thing he kinda disagreed with me was the part that your not suppose to use a punch on the truglow. he said he hits the very bottom of the truglow that slides onto the gun, it dosent come anywhere near where the fiber optic is, and shouldnt crack it. i not a gunsmith and this is the first time i dealt with it so i had no intentions on argueing with him on who right.

Superlite27

imported post

I walked into Mike's because I was looking for a gunsmith shop that was near there and couldn't find it. I figured, "Hey! There's a gun shop. They'll probably know where that gunsmith is." So I walked in the door and asked the guy at the counter (Which happened to be Mike) "Is there a gunsmith over that-a-way somewhere? I'm going to have aftermarket sights put on my XDm."

Mike's reply: "I ain't going to tell you where they're at because they don't like working on XD's."

Well, moron. Why don't you let the BUSINESS THEMSELVES tell me what they do and don't like to do? Good way to screw them out of business by informing the public of their supposed preferences according to you.

They're a gunsmith, right? Ever heard of a gunsmith who hates gunsmithing? WHY CALL YOURSELF A GUNSMITH AND ADVERTISE GUNSMITHING IF YOU DON'T LIKE TO DO IT?

My problem wasn't with the gunsmith....it was with the @$$hat that had nothing to do with them deciding to inconvenience everyone on their behalf.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Superlite27 wrote:
Mike's reply: "I ain't going to tell you where they're at because they don't like working on XD's."
In case you did not find it, the light just past Mikes (where you would turn back to the right to get to mikes on the outter road) you need to go right off of 94 and then left on the outter road which may have a name I am not sure if it is north outer 94 or another name. In a farm house looking building on the left within 2 blocks is a gun smith, I forget the name of them, I have been there before.

Mike was partially correct, when I visited with them about some work, the man whom owned it did say he was really retired and other than a little bit of revolver tuning, he did not work on pistols any more, just long guns which was sort of evident from what he had around, no pistols or racks and two large rifle racks.

The only other operation near there that might be smithing I know of is C&S metal works which is an odd name for a gun shop/smith but hey, I ain't the one that picked it! Very very nice folks, even held the shop open late for me to get there and pick up a barrel for the 1911 without them being the ones doing the fitting of it.

Superlite27

imported post

I performed the work myself, and it turned out to be fairly simple.

Springfield does press their factory sights in solidly.

But, I simply took my slide, one of those sliding bar clamps with the rubber coated jaws, and a thick rubber mat, and clamped my fully assembled pistol to the mat at the edge of a solid workbench (Being careful to not bear down too hard so as to not damage my slide. I thought about clamping the slide alone, but went with the full pistol so the frame would provide support to the slide when clamped sideways).

I then took a flat brass punch and performed a few "test" taps to see how it "felt". No problem. I added a little more forcefulness in small increments until they started moving, and simply drove the old ones out of the sight grooves. (left to right) Ithen took a really tiny thread file ("triangle file" for you non-mechanically inclined folks) and smoothed the sight channels out. I then inserted the new Dawson adjustable tritiums (had to file them down just a skosh just until they started about a third of the way into the sight groove without needing force. Coated them with a little Loc-Tite, and used the brass punch to drive the new ones back in until they were centered. (right to left).

And to think folks wantmoney to do this.

They were definately in there solid. (It takes a little nerve to beat on a nice pistol with a hammer) But, I figured I was already going to spend money having it done, ifI screwed anything up, the money would just be transferred into a repair instead of a modification.Nothing to lose.

End result: Looks like it was done by a gunsmith.

silo

imported post

Any idea on how easy it is to tighten a Glock sight? Bought a friend's G33 but it has a loose front sight. It's driving me nuts, although I'm a trillion times better at point shooting than aiming. Still, I want it fixed. Any ideas?