Thread: Open Carry Whilst Wearing a Suit

Post imported post

Ok...one thing that has been tripping me up, is wearing a suit while carrying a handgun.

If the suit jacket is unbuttoned, and the firearm is either in a OWB holster at 3 o'clock or in a shoulder holster, is it open carry or concealed carry?

The firearm is not always in plain sight, but it is also not always totally concealed.

Please clarify for me. I live in NC by the way.

Thanks

-Elliot

Post imported post

Suite coat buttoned closed,CC, suite coat unbuttoned, openand firearm visible, OC.

In my humble opinion.
    When a criminal invades your home and has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.

My Definition of Gun Control: The idea that dozens of people found dead in the Broadway Café, Tasmania, and many also seriously wounded, all while waiting for police, who were called to show up and protect them, is somehow morally superior to having several armed and therefore alive civilian's explaining to police how the attacker got that fatal bullet wound.

Post imported post

Suit coat unbuttoned and thrown back so weapon is exposed....Open Carry.

Coat buttoned or not and weapon gets covered...Concealed Carry.

Haz got it too. Just remember....if weapon is covered at any time....concealed.

AND.....Welcome to the board!:celebrate

Post imported post

If you have a lifestyle that requires you to wear a suit, then you probably make enough money to get the CHP.

With a permit, it doesn't matter if the coat occasionally covers your firearm. NC has no "printing" laws...
    It is our cause to dispel the foggy thinking which avoids hard decisions in the delusion that a world of conflict will somehow mysteriously resolve itself into a world of harmony, if we just don't rock the boat or irritate the forces of aggression—and this is hogwash."
    --Barry Goldwater, 1964

Post imported post

IANAL, and I couldn't find a definition of CC in the NC General Statutes or at handgunlaw.us, so this is justmy interpretation. Agun is concealed when it is hiddenfrom common observation. When your gun is under your jacket andnot visible to those around you, it's concealed.

Post imported post

ok, thanks everybody...I am not of the age yet to be able to CC, but soon after I turn 21, I will start the process.

Post imported post

13Dhex wrote:
    ok, thanks everybody...I am not of the age yet to be able to CC, but soon after I turn 21, I will start the process.
    How long a wait do you have?
    Freedom has a taste to those who fight and almost die, that the protected will never know.

Post imported post

your from carolina! do the carolina tuck! haha wear the suit jacket, but just tuck the jacket behind the handle of the pistol. leaves the pistol in 100% plain view, looks fasionable AND its legal :-D

Post imported post

76-10-501. Definitions.
    (3) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

I would say as long as it is not covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence, it would be OC. May be a touchy subject with a jacket on. I would do OWB and tuck the jacket behind it. BTW thats UT law.

Post imported post

jay75009 wrote:
    your from carolina! do the carolina tuck! haha wear the suit jacket, but just tuck the jacket behind the handle of the pistol. leaves the pistol in 100% plain view, looks fasionable AND its legal :-D
    Pretty sure it's the Virginia Tuck
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

Post imported post

I say get a thigh holster made from a nice leather , match the belt, shoes and cuff links and the gold colored Kimber 1911 with a hardwood handle really becomes jewelry.
    Peace be with you and always be with your piece!