• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Whilst Wearing a Suit

13Dhex

imported post

Ok...one thing that has been tripping me up, is wearing a suit while carrying a handgun.

If the suit jacket is unbuttoned, and the firearm is either in a OWB holster at 3 o'clock or in a shoulder holster, is it open carry or concealed carry?

The firearm is not always in plain sight, but it is also not always totally concealed.

Please clarify for me. I live in NC by the way.

Thanks

-Elliot

TheMrMitch

imported post

Suit coat unbuttoned and thrown back so weapon is exposed....Open Carry.

Coat buttoned or not and weapon gets covered...Concealed Carry.:dude:

Haz got it too. Just remember....if weapon is covered at any time....concealed.

AND.....Welcome to the board!:celebrate

Dreamer

imported post

If you have a lifestyle that requires you to wear a suit, then you probably make enough money to get the CHP.

With a permit, it doesn't matter if the coat occasionally covers your firearm. NC has no "printing" laws...

buster81

imported post

IANAL, and I couldn't find a definition of CC in the NC General Statutes or at handgunlaw.us, so this is justmy interpretation. Agun is concealed when it is hiddenfrom common observation. When your gun is under your jacket andnot visible to those around you, it's concealed.

13Dhex

imported post

ok, thanks everybody...I am not of the age yet to be able to CC, but soon after I turn 21, I will start the process.

RussP

imported post

13Dhex wrote:
ok, thanks everybody...I am not of the age yet to be able to CC, but soon after I turn 21, I will start the process.
How long a wait do you have?

jay75009

imported post

your from carolina! do the carolina tuck! haha wear the suit jacket, but just tuck the jacket behind the handle of the pistol. leaves the pistol in 100% plain view, looks fasionable AND its legal :-D

younggun20

imported post

76-10-501. Definitions.
(3) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence and is readily accessible for immediate use.

I would say as long as it is not covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence, it would be OC. May be a touchy subject with a jacket on. I would do OWB and tuck the jacket behind it. BTW thats UT law.

t33j

imported post

jay75009 wrote:
your from carolina! do the carolina tuck! haha wear the suit jacket, but just tuck the jacket behind the handle of the pistol. leaves the pistol in 100% plain view, looks fasionable AND its legal :-D
Pretty sure it's the Virginia Tuck

Slugslinger

imported post

I say get a thigh holster made from a nice leather , match the belt, shoes and cuff links and the gold colored Kimber 1911 with a hardwood handle really becomes jewelry.:lol: