• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

HB 5972 & HB 5973

Venator

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Also check this thread out, it deals wit the same issue and has some contact info.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/45620.html

Also committe members and sponsors contact:

State Representative Joel Sheltrown (D-103), Chairman
(517) 373-3817
joelsheltrown@house.mi.gov

State Representative Jim Slezak (D-50), Majority Vice Chairman
(517) 373-3906
jimslezak@house.mi.gov

State Representative Jim Stamas (R-98), Minority Vice Chairman
(517) 373-1791
jimstamas@house.mi.gov

State Representative Kate Ebli (D-56)
(517) 373-2617
kateebli@house.mi.gov

State Representative Mike Huckleberry (D-70)
(517) 373-0834
mikehuckleberry@house.mi.gov

State Representative Richard LeBlanc (D-18)
(517) 373-2576
richardleblanc@house.mi.gov

State Representative Steven Lindberg
(517) 373-0498
stevenlindberg@house.mi.gov

State Representative Woodrow Stanley (D-34)
(517) 373-8808
woodrowstanley@house.mi.gov

State Representative James Bolger (R-63)
(517) 373-1787
jamesbolger@house.mi.gov

State Representative Geoff Hansen (R-100)
(517) 373-7317
geoffhansen@house.mi.gov

State Representative Kenneth Horn (R-94)
(517) 373-0837
kennethhorn@house.mi.gov

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

Anyone else get this?

Thank you for your e-mail regarding House Bill 5972 and House Bill 5973. This legislation would eliminate pistol purchasing permits in Michigan. It is an expansion of the new law I sponsored last year which eliminated the "safety inspection." The new bills would not change the age to purchase in Michigan.

Public testimony was taken on the bills this past Tuesday. The Michigan State Police do not support the bills as introduced. Several committee members have expressed support for preserving the purchase permit for private sales and eliminating it only for sales by an FFL dealer where an instant federal background check is already available.

I anticipate voting on the bills and this possible amendment in committee later this month. I support the bills as introduced.

Sincerely,

Joel Sheltrown, Chair
House Tourism, Outdoor Recreation
and Natural Resources Committee

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Dear Mr. Carpenter: Thank you for writing regarding HB 5972 and HB 5973. As an unabashed supporter of our Second Amendment Rights, it is likely I will support both bills, provided they are adopted as currently proposed.

While I support the effort to remove pistol free zones, these are two separate issues. Were an amendment offered to remove gun free zones, it would likely prevent these worthy bills from being enacted. Unfortunately, support for the removal of gun free zones does not currently exist in the state legislature. While I will continue to seek to protect our Second Amendment Rights, I cannot make the perfect the enemy of the good. These bills accomplish much to defend our Constitutional rights. It would be a shame to see this legislation fail because support for a related, but separate, issue is lacking.

Regards,
Richard LeBlanc
State Representative
18th District (Westland)

ETA at least I got a response.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

I responded with this.

Thank you for the timely response, and your support of the second amendment. Im sure you can see the potential negative impact as shown by the Wisconsin map, this issue is a wolf in sheeps clothing.