• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Gun OC or AK "hand gun" BS IMHO

zekester

imported post

I have been holding my tongue on this for a long time and I am sure it has be talked about before, but taking an "AK" to any event is just plain stupid IMHO.

Yes, we want to promote the right to carry, but to me, carrying a long gun or a modified AK is exactly what the anti's want to see to diminish or curtail our right to protect our 2A.

In Missouri, which we are fighting for pre-emption,we discourage long guns and if anyone would show up with one, the event wouldend immediately. The sheepers are bad enough, we don't want the LEO to show up with the Swat Team just because some idiot....( and if you really read these threads youknow what I am talking about ) to take it beyond what needs to be done to promote this issue.

I guess I am just saying, PLEASE use common sense.

I believe you hurt the cause by displaying an overwhelming show of "force".

You may not see it this way, but the sheep and the LEO see this exactly this way!

I am so sick of seeing news reports of the OC crowd carrying "AK-47s"....when all we really want is the right protect our right.

Now, please do not take this thewrong way, you AK people out there.....you have every right to do so, I am just asking that youlet us get this movement going and then carry to hearts content.

There are other states that do not have the ability to do what you do at the moment....so PLEASE...let us catch up, because if you do not......not only will I not be able to carry my AK......you MAY lose your right to do so also.

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion on this board.

Z

slowfiveoh

imported post

Hard to advocate for an activity that is "uninfringed", and operates on the basis of equality when you yourself infringe upon other peoples rights and force your opinion of what to carry on them.

Am I right?

:banghead:

zekester

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
Hard to advocate for an activity that is "uninfringed", and operates on the basis of equality when you yourself infringe upon other peoples rights and force your opinion of what to carry on them.

Am I right?

:banghead:

Yes, I do agree 100%.....but it would be nice if we keep it to a minimum until us " backward" states could catch up.

I am not advocating the not carrying long guns nor the modified AK....All I am asking is, if your trully for the OC movement, it would behove all of us to take ALL the country in concederation. We have to fight this battle too. It is just difficuilt when you see news stories with people carrying long guns, when we ( Missouri), are just now fighting the OC laws to begain with.

Again....JMO...and a suggestion....will it change...perhaps not....but us in MO are fighting an up hill battle, and any help .....is help to all!!

Z

zekester

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
Here's a pic, specs, and a source for purchase via FFL transfer...

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storeproduct866.aspx

Thank you for posting this,

If I went to envent in MO....the swat team would be all over this, now would they be wrong? Most certianly.....but if I had just my Glock, or my 1911....I would get questioned, perhaps detained, but the local GOV would not change the law.

Without pre-emption...it would be possible that they could ban anything they want to...

Just asking for patience, until the next session....we are working on it.

BUT WHY, STIR THE POT?

Excercise your rights by all means, just remember, there are others that do not have the same rights as you do!!!
z

slowfiveoh

imported post

zekester wrote:
Yes, I do agree 100%.....but it would be nice if we keep it to a minimum until us " backward" states could catch up.

I am not advocating the not carrying long guns nor the modified AK....All I am asking is, if your trully for the OC movement, it would behove all of us to take ALL the country in concederation. We have to fight this battle too. It is just difficuilt when you see news stories with people carrying long guns, when we ( Missouri), are just now fighting the OC laws to begain with.

Again....JMO...and a suggestion....will it change...perhaps not....but us in MO are fighting an up hill battle, and any help .....is help to all!!

Z
Well put, but please remember that the exposure of a gun in general to people who have been brainwashed to believe they are devices of pure, automatic destruction, will not be well received anyways.

Many people purchased their PLR's or AK's and frankly it's all they have to carry.

It is not helpful whatsoever to make a "big deal" out of their activity, when they are likely carrying for the same precise purpose you are. Are there some "showboats"? Oh yeah, sure there are! I can think of people carrying XD's and M&P's that were clowns too, though.

It is also not helpful that you would request these same people leave their firearm at home, while advocating equality in our ability to defend ourselves.

Lastly, normalizing "regular guns" by itself is a categorization that perpetuates unhelpful stereotypes by propping them up, and supporting them.

It does not help that gun owners, for whatever reason, categorize AK or AR pistols as something "inappropriate", when "uninfringed", "equal", and "self defense" are the terms and/or purpose of the movement.

As much as you believe the antis would have a field day with somebody carrying an AK or AR based pistol or long gun, you had better be prepared to believe that they see the commentary against such activities by recognized, and reputable "gun-rights advocates", or RTKBA supporters, as likewise, extremely helpful.

I mean, if the "gun guys" think AK and AR pistols are "something different", and SHOULD be kept out of sight, then what more of a reputable source than that?

Right?

Gotta consider all angles. ;)

zekester

imported post

Again,

I agree 100%......

But then again you do not live in a state the thinks that if you have a toenail out of place that they can get you for a felony.

Now of course Ihave embelished this a bit.....ok...alot....and MO actually has pretty liberal gun laws, I am just saying......when MY legislators see news reports about the AK or AR in a public place they FREAK out....

We are doing our best to pass a premption law, but for now, we are stuck with what we have.

I will say again, this is nothing about ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT TO CARRY WHAT EVER THEY HAVE THE RIGHT TO CARRY, this is about a little help form those that have the right to do so,to help those of us that do not.

Yes it will take time, and yes I am asking alot.

I am asking those that have a right to carry an AK or AR....to PLEASE...in the case of Missouri, which has no bearing on your life at the moment, to curtail an opendisplay of your constitutional right.

I would never ask this upon ANYONE.....but then again you are not in my shoes at the moment.

Great debate BTW>

Z

zekester

imported post

slowfiveoh wrote:
So long as we cower at the feet of our oppressors, all will be well. ;)

Not exactly.....

Well, Not at ALL....

I am looking at the over all picture, and I cannot see wher an Ak or an Ar.....regardless of rights can propel this movement what so ever.

The public preceptiion is what it is, correct or not.

The public preception of these types of weapons, is a negative preception in regards to this cause.

again....jmo

slowfiveoh

imported post

zekester wrote:
Not exactly.....

Well, Not at ALL....

I am looking at the over all picture, and I cannot see wher an Ak or an Ar.....regardless of rights can propel this movement what so ever.

The public preceptiion is what it is, correct or not.

The public preception of these types of weapons, is a negative preception in regards to this cause.

again....jmo
So...

You advocate for the carry of pistols, which has already caused unnecessary panic and illegal detainment/arrests, because of an ill-informed society and law enforcement.

Is this correct?

One guy got ripped out of a movie theater. He had just a regular ol wheel gun, and was sippin a soda and watching a movie when he got attacked, and unlawfully detained. Oh yeah, he was an Airman in our countries fine Air Force.

Another was pulled over for a dinky-by-comparison 1911 on his hip, while riding a motorcycle.

A man who served his country, and is a staunch advocate for RTKBA, is denied the possession of a basic pistol in California because his sheriff has way too much authority in whether he can, or cannot, conceal carry.

Yet some dude somewhere, stepped out of his house with a gun on his hip.

Frankly, I believe the smiling face of John Q Public, carrying around an AK or AR based pistol isn't a bad thing. It proves more than shooing them away until its safe.

Just saying. :cool:

zekester

imported post

No sir....

This is strictly about the carry of Long Guns, and yes the AK or AR in particular....

The public will be "alarmed" persay, with any weapon if the are not familiar with it, but these type of weapons, the AK and AR, are more alarming than most.

You have to admit that they are more of a military type weapon, therefore it will make the general public feel that there is a "military presence".....Is that what we wish to convey?

zekester

imported post

NavyLT wrote:
zekester wrote:
No sir....

This is strictly about the carry of Long Guns, and yes the AK or AR in particular....

The public will be "alarmed" persay, with any weapon if the are not familiar with it, but these type of weapons, the AK and AR, are more alarming than most.

You have to admit that they are more of a military type weapon, therefore it will make the general public feel that there is a "military presence".....Is that what we wish to convey?
Rest assured, zekester, that the very founders of this forum agree with you:

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum1/1.html

11) This web site is focused on the right to openly carry properly holstered handguns in daily American life. Do not start OFF TOPIC threads or discussions such aspromoting the carry of long guns. Long guns are great! OCDO co-founders John & Mike and most of the folks on this forum own at least one long gun - but due to urban area issues of muzzle control, lack of trigger guard coverage, and the fact that the long gun carry issue distracts from our main mission to promote the open carry of handguns in daily life, we will leave long gun carry activism in the capable hands of the future founders of web sites about long gun carry.

THANK YOU ....THANK YOU......THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And rest assured I personally have nothing against long guns, I was merley expressing the difficulty of our struggle at my level, and would like to have help and cooperation from all fronts.

I hope to have not offended anyone. I surely hope that we are all in this together, for without that, we are nothing more than by ourselves.

Z

zekester

imported post

Ok.....I will try to clarify...

All I am saying, is with this movement....long guns and modifications should be an after thought.

Handguns, at this moment whould be the focus....loaded or otherwise....

Yes!!!!!!!!!! By all means fight the battle.....but please....and I am serious, please....expalin to me where an exposed AK47, slung on the back of someone, where the only place the general public has seen it is on TV in the hands of the terrorist, Al Queda...or other third world idiots, will EVER....and I mean EVER help this cause.

They are scared enough...

In your case, I should be able to carry a Stinger missle if I can leagally carry one...Not that you couldn't, but how does that help the states without a premption. It just makes us look bad when we try to change it in Missouri, where you could come here and carry a dang Stinger if you want to.

But if you carry it now.....I won't, you wont....and no one else will either.....ANYWHERE

Carry what ever you want, but untill we ALL can carry it together.....they will break us apart and tell us we can't even carry oru kids....

Broondog

imported post

can i still keep an AK in my truck for varmints and such?

sorry, i couldn't resist. :)

really though, i can just imagine the amount of cops that would show up if i decided to go grocery shopping with an underfolder slung across my back.

Hunterdave

imported post

They're all the same to the anti's. If you"give up" the AK pistol,
then they'll want you to "give up" something else and something else,
until all that's left is swine's poison dart gun!

Me personally, I don't care if you carry a bazooka.:p

Ca Patriot

imported post

The anti's dont want you carrying or owning ANYTHING so it wouldnt make any difference if you showed up in a tank.

ecocks

imported post

I have no problem with someone towing a howitzer behind their vehicle to a BBQ, putting an AR/AK over their shoulder while buying groceries at Walmart or wearing their 1911 in a retention holsterat the cinema.

As long as it's a lawful assembly in the first place, these all seem reasonable to me.

Infringing is infringing, Once you start withone type of weapon, then someone will wish to add another. Then ammo. Then holster restrictions. Then caliber.

"Shouldn't those cop-killer Five-Sevens be banned? Look what they did at Ft. Hood!"

"That Brit cabbie killed 12 people with a .22 and a single shot shotgun! We should ban those since they are capable of so much carnage!"

"Shoulder holsters are scary! We should only let plainclothes police officers, who are highly trained in their use, wear them."

"Shouldn't belt holsters have buttoned flaps over them? That way they wouldn't be able to be drawn so quickly if there was an unpleasantness in progress..."

Create a list and itwill most assuredly grow and grow and grow.