• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Long Gun OC or AK "hand gun" BS IMHO

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

I know a guy that has one of them AK pistiols, made a cool kydex & Velcro holster for it. Technically it is a pistol & if it's holsered what are you going to say at your OC event...no sorry you can't bring that pistol in to this OC event ?? slippery slope people, once you start to discriminate against your own kind...your done for.

Honestly, if that's the pistol you decide to Holster, I see nothing wrong with it. Yes, It will get looks but thats the nature of the beast.

SavageOne

imported post

Glock34 wrote:
I know a guy that has one of them AK pistiols, made a cool kydex & Velcro holster for it. Technically it is a pistol & if it's holsered what are you going to say at your OC event...no sorry you can bring that pistol in to this OC event ?? slippery slope people, once you start to discriminate against your own kind...your done for.
This site already does. I'm shocked this thread hasn't been locked yet. OH.... that's right it's anti long gun so that must be OK. Said it before say it again this site should be OCOHDO(Open Carry Of Handguns Dot Org).

hp-hobo

imported post

zekester wrote:
Yes!!!!!!!!!! By all means fight the battle.....but please....and I am serious, please....expalin to me where an exposed AK47, slung on the back of someone, where the only place the general public has seen it is on TV in the hands of the terrorist, Al Queda...or other third world idiots, will EVER....and I mean EVER help this cause.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

Your premise is factually incorrect. Follow the link for proof... Unless you want us to believe this college educated grandma is a terrorist.

http://news.yahoo.com/video/greenville-wyff-18211287/4th-district-candidate-plans-ak-47-social-20164693

hopnpop

imported post

VERY interesting talk here. I've been on the fence on the long OC topic. I think there are better times and places to OC long guns than others. I think that long arm OC is fine for, say, our OCDO picnics and 2Amarches... but have no business being carried into Ponderosa or IHOP. I believe that we should be able to legally OC long arms, but I think someone should use good judgement as to where and when they do so. Whoever said it's a slippery slope hit the nail on the head - it IS a slippery, hypocritical slope. I hate being hypocritical but I see the reactions that the carry of an AR or AK creates.

I want OC to become commonplace, too. But the fact is that while we've been making wonderful progress in desensitizing the public to the sight of guns being OC'd, and holstered handguns are creating less and less concern... the sight of an AR or AK still scares the crap out of the masses. IMO, scaring the public isn't beneficial to our cause. And yes, I see the aspect that our "cause" isn't handgun-specific, which is where the hypocrisy comes in.

Another thing that I think interesting is about perception. I've found it a little funny, actually, at how the public percieves these rifles. As an example, let's say I'm enjoying a meal at ___________, while OCing a Springfield XD-M with a spare magazine. No reaction from the restaurant patrons. Then someone walks in with an AR slung across his back. The sight of the AR causes people to feel uncomfortable and leave, and probably resulting in a couple of MWAG calls. Now, what I find funny is that between my XD-M and spare mag, I've actually got more firepower than the guy with the AR and only one 30-rd mag. But which causes fear and overreaction? The AR. I just think it ironic.

Back to the point. I'm not firmly against long arm OC, but MY bottom-line is that there's better times and places to do it. I don't think it's a good idea to be walking into restaurants and convenience stores with it, while 2A marches, shoots, picnics are great places to long OC. That's my $.02.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

zekester wrote:
I have been holding my tongue on this for a long time and I am sure it has be talked about before, but taking an "AK" to any event is just plain stupid IMHO.

Yes, we want to promote the right to carry, but to me, carrying a long gun or a modified AK is exactly what the anti's want to see to diminish or curtail our right to protect our 2A.

In Missouri, which we are fighting for pre-emption,we discourage long guns and if anyone would show up with one, the event wouldend immediately. The sheepers are bad enough, we don't want the LEO to show up with the Swat Team just because some idiot....( and if you really read these threads youknow what I am talking about ) to take it beyond what needs to be done to promote this issue.

I guess I am just saying, PLEASE use common sense.

I believe you hurt the cause by displaying an overwhelming show of "force".

You may not see it this way, but the sheep and the LEO see this exactly this way!

I am so sick of seeing news reports of the OC crowd carrying "AK-47s"....when all we really want is the right protect our right.

Now, please do not take this thewrong way, you AK people out there.....you have every right to do so, I am just asking that youlet us get this movement going and then carry to hearts content.

There are other states that do not have the ability to do what you do at the moment....so PLEASE...let us catch up, because if you do not......not only will I not be able to carry my AK......you MAY lose your right to do so also.

Thanks for letting me voice my opinion on this board.

Z
Generally speaking, I agree with you, however, trying to sway our AK/AR-carrying brethren on this matter is just pissing into the wind. You're just going to get flamed & labeled as being a turncoat or one who lacks conviction. :quirky

les_aker

imported post

ecocks wrote:
Infringing is infringing, Once you start withone type of weapon, then someone will wish to add another. Then ammo. Then holster restrictions. Then caliber.
That pretty much sums it up.

Infringing is infringing. Once supposedly "pro gun" people start qualifying the rights that other people have to purchase, own, carry, etc you might as well go get a membership in the Brady Campaign.

Rights are rights. Gun ownership and carry is a right. People's rights can not be qualified by others. They are rights.

If someone is worried about inappropriate or illegal actions by LEOs it's time to get to work fixing that problem where you live. It is not time to restrict other people's rights.

GLOCK21GB

Campaign Veteran
imported post

les_aker wrote:
ecocks wrote:
Infringing is infringing, Once you start withone type of weapon, then someone will wish to add another. Then ammo. Then holster restrictions. Then caliber.
That pretty much sums it up.

Infringing is infringing. Once supposedly "pro gun" people start qualifying the rights that other people have to purchase, own, carry, etc you might as well go get a membership in the Brady Campaign.

Rights are rights. Gun ownership and carry is a right. People's rights can not be qualified by others. They are rights.

If someone is worried about inappropriate or illegal actions by LEOs it's time to get to work fixing that problem where you live. It is not time to restrict other people's rights.
agree :)

longwatch

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
imported post

I think the perspective we should have is one of baby steps. I think we all would like to see a day that if someone were to open carry a long arm or PDW style pistol, it would garner little reaction other than admiration of a fine firearm. However, the open carry movement is still young and could be derailed by legislative setbacks. If we play our cards right the time will come when being armed with anything will be no big deal, in the meantime lets gain acceptance of the more conventional handguns first.

Also in the meantime, I am saving up to build an AR pistol for use as a truck gun:D.

les_aker

imported post

longwatch wrote:
I think the perspective we should have is one of baby steps. I think we all would like to see a day that if someone were to open carry a long arm or PDW style pistol, it would garner little reaction other than admiration of a fine firearm. However, the open carry movement is still young and could be derailed by legislative setbacks. If we play our cards right the time will come when being armed with anything will be no big deal, in the meantime lets gain acceptance of the more conventional handguns first.
Sounds like the Kennedy Administration talking about the civil rights movement.

Anyone who agrees with that is free to follow their conscience. The problem arises when they decide that the people who aren't willing to continue not eating at the lunch counter shouldn't be able to exercise their rights because it might "derail the movement". Like it or not, the people that aren't on the go-slow time schedule are just as much part of "the movement".

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

longwatch wrote:
SNIP Also in the meantime, I am saving up to build an AR pistol for use as a truck gun:D.
I think it will have to be for Chevy S-10s and the like. Much too lite a bullet forbig trucks like Peterbuilts and Kenworths. :)

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

les_aker wrote:
longwatch wrote:
Sounds like the Kennedy Administration talking about the civil rights movement.

Anyone who agrees with that is free to follow their conscience. The problem arises when they decide that the people who aren't willing to continue not eating at the lunch counter shouldn't be able to exercise their rights because it might "derail the movement". Like it or not, the people that aren't on the go-slow time schedule are just as much part of "the movement".
As long as those lunch-counter dissenters don't ruin the whole thing for everybody else through politically deaf activity. Principles are one thing; applying them is something else.

Personally, I don't want to have to fight the Virginia Nat'l Guardover my right to self-defense if I can win it back incrementally via the legislature.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

LET ME BE CLEAR. I do not support any LAW against openly carrying an FAL, AK, AR, or an M60 while shopping for windshield wiper blades at Wal Mart or any place else.

That said...

Last I looked I was no longer in Afghanistan, there is no reason to carry a long arm in the US even if goat shopping at a farmers market. Furthermore we are trying to normalize OC of handguns. This is apparently acceptible to the majority of people in the US, even amoung the non-gun nuts. As much of a gun nut as I am I don't see the utility of a long arm for self defense in public. This is not Peshawar. The danger to the general public of rifle rounds over penetrating the scumbag you justifiably shot over rides the safety of having the tool at hand.

Secondly, the ergonomics of these AR/AK pistols makes shooting them accurately more difficult. You better practice well, but IMHO it should be a back up to the .45 on your hip while self extracting from a riot in the inner city. This is common sense people, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

If you're doing it just for shock value, why not carry an RPG replica? Why not also wear something that looks like a suicide bomber vest openly? Use you heads people.

Packer fan

imported post

PrayingForWar wrote:
LET ME BE CLEAR. I do not support any LAW against openly carrying an FAL, AK, AR, or an M60 while shopping for windshield wiper blades at Wal Mart or any place else.

That said...

Last I looked I was no longer in Afghanistan, there is no reason to carry a long arm in the US even if goat shopping at a farmers market. Furthermore we are trying to normalize OC of handguns. This is apparently acceptible to the majority of people in the US, even amoung the non-gun nuts. As much of a gun nut as I am I don't see the utility of a long arm for self defense in public. This is not Peshawar. The danger to the general public of rifle rounds over penetrating the scumbag you justifiably shot over rides the safety of having the tool at hand.

Secondly, the ergonomics of these AR/AK pistols makes shooting them accurately more difficult. You better practice well, but IMHO it should be a back up to the .45 on your hip while self extracting from a riot in the inner city. This is common sense people, just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

If you're doing it just for shock value, why not carry an RPG replica? Why not also wear something that looks like a suicide bomber vest openly? Use you heads people.

+ 1

I have no problems with anyone carrying any weapon for self defense just use the best weapon possibleif is truly just for self defense.
LG are for long distance shooting. If you find your self in a shoot out of more than 50 yards you better have a good excuse of why you shot at or shot the person. A hand gun will do the job if you need one. Now, if we where to get snipers from the roof tops then by all means use the rifle. In close corridors LG are harder to wield than hand guns. JMHO:dude:

I would have no problems with someone bringing anything to an outdoor picnic. One never knows when a squirrel may mock you, switch it's tail, chatter at you, and begin dropping acorn shells from up in the tree.:lol: