Thread: When did guns start having serial #'s?

Banned

Post imported post

anyone know

Post imported post

Serial numbers became required by the federal government upon passage of the Gun Control Act Of 1968. This does not mean that you cannot find firearms much older with serial numbers. This always becomes confusing when this topic arises.

Prior to the G.C.A. 1968, manufactures serialized their firearms only as a method of internal record keeping and control.

Banned

Post imported post

what happens if you run across a cop that doesnt know that

Post imported post

Just to add a little useless info but as to your original question about when did they start having serial #'s. I have a A H Fox shotgun made in 1909 that has a serial number. I also have a 16ga single barrel shotgun made around 1950 that does not have a serial number. So maybe the question should be when were serial numbers required. Before then most manf. did use them but not all.

Post imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
    what happens if you run across a cop that doesnt know that
    Tell them the correct info. If they still want to hassle you, assuming about a gun you have in your possession without a serial number, then tell them to just write you a citation for it and let the court throw it out.

You can also write to the manufacturer of the gun (if they are still in business) and get a letter from them stating that they did not put serial numbers on guns in the time frame yours was made.

Post imported post

I seem to remember that 1967 was when firearm manufactures began being required to have a Serial Number. I too have several guns W/O a number.

Post imported post

If my preferred carry gun was a pre 68, I'd have a copy of the G.C.A. in my wallet at all times, My schedule doesn't have a buffer for sideline entertainment..