• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

When did guns start having serial #'s?

PT111

imported post

Just to add a little useless info but as to your original question about when did they start having serial #'s. I have a A H Fox shotgun made in 1909 that has a serial number. I also have a 16ga single barrel shotgun made around 1950 that does not have a serial number. So maybe the question should be when were serial numbers required. Before then most manf. did use them but not all.

Ole Man Dan

imported post

I seem to remember that 1967 was when firearm manufactures began being required to have a Serial Number. I too have several guns W/O a number.

Carnivore

imported post

If my preferred carry gun was a pre 68, I'd have a copy of the G.C.A. in my wallet at all times, My schedule doesn't have a buffer for sideline entertainment..