• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Coffee shop asks OCing LEO to leave.

Deanimator

imported post

eye95 wrote:
I should have known that this thread would attract the blind drum-beating of LEO-bashing. Yawn. How about you keep it to your LEO-bashing threads?
How about you give up the ludicrous fairy story of "police protection" of individuals?

It ranks right up there with Lysenko's "twig fodder" in terms of sheer BS.

Don Barnett

imported post

It sounds like something they'd do in Oregon.

I was stationed up there when I was in the USMC during the time the Rashneesh (sp?) were building their ranch in Antelope, OR (early '80's). They bought bars in Portland and painted them purple, on the outside.

Oregon is a beautiful State, but some of the residents there are WEIRD! Not all...but some!

ecocks

imported post

While the owner is certainly within his rights to refuse business and service to anyone not in the protected groups, it still strikes me as silly and foolish.

It would be nice to hear about pro-gun businesses (other than gun stores) from time to time.

I think there's a pro-gun restaurant over in the Seattle-area which strongly supports OC. Businesses like these should be getting more support from the gun community (assuming reasonable quality/prices).

JKelly

imported post

rugerdon wrote:
It sounds like something they'd do in Oregon.

I was stationed up there when I was in the USMC during the time the Rashneesh (sp?) were building their ranch in Antelope, OR (early '80's). They bought bars in Portland and painted them purple, on the outside.

Oregon is a beautiful State, but some of the residents there are WEIRD! Not all...but some!
Mostly the freaks from California or their descendants.

PrayingForWar

Founder's Club Member
imported post

I hope they get robbed and all those communists get killed with baseball bats.

That'll learn 'em.

&%^*!%$ idiots.

XD40coyote

imported post

Hmm, interesting thing in the video. It actually sounds like they can't stand the badge and uniform as it stands for oppression and somesuch, but that a non LEO OCer might actually be welcomed there. You would probably have to wear a shirt that says " F the Police" or say somethingsuch as" I don't need no stinking cops to protect me",to be fully welcomed. Many here at OCDO might just be welcomed there. You could have nice discussions about JBT's , 1960's Black Panther marches in CA, and how OCers are suing PD's all over the country for violation of civil rights done by "stinking piggy cops" LOL.

Anyone in the Portland area up for a try?

apjonas

imported post

Everybody is a member of several "protected classes." A protected class is a demographic category not a specific characteristic or set of people. For purposes of federal law - the protected classes are:

Race

Color

Religion

Sex

National Origin

Disability

Veteran Status

Please cut me some slack if this is incomplete. It is done from memory of a decade ago. States, cities and institutions have their own lists which may or may not mirror the feds. Strictly speaking, categories such as black, Hindu, female,or non-Veteran are not protected classes. Also the significance of and the exact boundaries of a protected class vary depending upon the law, facts andplayers. For instance, can a restaurant owner refuse to serve an 75-year old, black, Catholic, disabled woman veteran originally from Lithuania? It depends. As long as it isn’t because she is any of those things or the reason given isn’t pretextual. Say she has extremely poor personal hygiene and really, really reeks - to the extent of making other diners ill. The owner can bar her until she cleans up (except in a few leftwing loon cities, where level of stinkiness is a protected class).

Bikenut wrote:
What I find interesting is that ordinary folks who OC are asked to leave businesses and there is no outcry by any news agency.... but... let one cop OC'ing be treated in the same manner as an every day citizen and all hell breaks loose.

It doesn't matter if the business is owned by, or caters to, folks who don't like cops (as implied per reporting I heard on TV that the cafe is frequented by liberals and homeless) private property rights give the owners every right to toss out anyone who isn't a member of a legally protected class....... including cops wearing guns in plain sight.

Now... please read what I wrote carefully.. there is nothing anti cop nor anything anti liberal or anti homeless.... it is nothing more than pointing out more of the hypocrisy that runs rampant in society today.

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

What do you want to bet that this coffee shop is under surveylence now? Most of the time, when some one is uncomfortable with cops around, they're up to something illegal.

ecocks

imported post

ecocks wrote:
While the owner is certainly within his rights to refuse business and service to anyone not in the protected groups, it still strikes me as silly and foolish.

It would be nice to hear about pro-gun businesses (other than gun stores) from time to time.

I think there's a pro-gun restaurant over in the Seattle-area which strongly supports OC. Businesses like these should be getting more support from the gun community (assuming reasonable quality/prices).

To clarify, as pointed out above, not only does the person have to be in the protected group but the reason for the refusal has to be shown to adversely affect the group they are a member of.

My apologyif anyone misunderstood that.

eye95

imported post

Task Force 16 wrote:
What do you want to bet that this coffee shop is under surveylence now? Most of the time, when some one is uncomfortable with cops around, they're up to something illegal.
I'd be willing to bet that it is not. They won't waste the time. They probably won't waste the time to rush should a 911 call come in either.

Deanimator

imported post

eye95 wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
I'd be willing to bet that it is not. They won't waste the time. They probably won't waste the time to rush should a 911 call come in either.
Oh, I wouldn't be so sure.

When that kid in Missouri videotaped a St. George cop threatening him with false arrest and manufactured evidence, cops from ANOTHER CITY found the time to park in front of his house. He even got pictures of them doing it.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

Deanimator wrote:
eye95 wrote:
Task Force 16 wrote:
Oh, I wouldn't be so sure.

When that kid in Missouri videotaped a St. George cop threatening him with false arrest and manufactured evidence, cops from ANOTHER CITY found the time to park in front of his house. He even got pictures of them doing it.

Years ago when I refused an unlawful order for I.D. the Cops waited outside my house for me and it must have been for a few hrs. and when I went out they blocked me in by two cars driving up on the sidewalk one behind me and one in front. (nothing to do with open carry).

I yelled at them and went back inside still refusing to show I.D.

We need to start severly limiting the fundings for these "police" agencies.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

ecocks wrote:

Yes he's a friend of mine he gives a 15% discount to open carriers.

B

Bikenut

imported post

Of course the coffee shop is being watched... perhaps not a department authorized actual surveillance... but the place now has a "red flag"... just as people OC'ing have a "red flag".

And as far as folks thinking that police do not "watch" citizens? Ummmm.... where do y'all think that term "person of interest" came from? "Person of interest" only means the authorities are, for whatever reason they wish, now "interested" in the background/record/activities/affiliations with other people or groups/and if they ever farted in church.

It is a sad commentary when "we the people" have reason to be afraid of our government... but also have reason to fear our police officers.

And before anyone jumps up and says my comments are "cop bashing"..... how many posts are there on OCDO where police acted improperly and illegally concerning a citizen openly carrying in a legal manner? Stating the truth isn't bashing.... it is just the truth.

We all know there are many honest and honorable... even knowledgeable of the law... individual officers. But we all know, or should know by now, there is a trend for LE agencies... both Federal and State and even local... to militarize their operations... and to lean more to law enforcement than to "protect and serve".

For individual citizens (yes, even cops who are also just citizens off duty acting on their own) to be active.. even forming groups... and get laws changed is the way things are supposed to be done. But when a government agency (LE) decides they don't like a situation (open carry being legal) and becomes active to get laws changed is totally improper because it is just another example of rule by government instead of rule by "we the people".

That isn't bashing either... just a statement of the truth.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

And for those who think it would be O.K. for the police to purposefully neglect what they are hired for by slowing down their response .....:banghead::banghead::banghead:.

This Shop pays its taxes and the LEO's work for them, whether they want them as customers or not is totally irrelevant if or when they call 911.

noname762

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
ecocks wrote:

Well I for one would love to know the name of this place and what kind of grub they serve. I get down to the Seattle area once or twice a month and quite often am hungry. Do they serve 'homecookin' style meals? Like meat, 'taters and gravy?? That's what I like. :D

If I can get a 15% discount just for being an OC'er that's about all the incentive I need.
So how about it SVG what's the name of this joint and where's it located??

ecocks

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
ecocks wrote:

Okay, Dino's, got it. Will look up the address.

Hopefully, the WA crew is doing their best to vote with their dollars. Hope he does well and will try to patronize his business if I ever get over that way.