• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Residency Question

Tribunal Power

imported post

Hey, folks. I've used this website countless times for informational purposes, but this time it seems I can't find an answer that really satisfies me, and open carrying is not the kind of thing that leaves a lot of room for grey areas. I want to make sure I have myself in the right before OCing, so I registered to ask a question.

I am currently a resident of Illinois (shudder). I moved here to Marion County, Kentucky with my wife. Here are a few facts about me to clarify:

I'm 21 years old, with a spotless criminal record. I do not have a FOID card, which is essentially mandatory in Illinois to even think aboutassociating someone who may have at some point seen a gun in their lifetime. That's a bitter exaggeration, of course, but a FOID card is required to own a gun, and OCing is, to my knowledge, totally illegal.

I've lived in KY for about a week, and one of the first things I did was purchase a handgun from a friend via private sale.Here's where my questions pop up.

Number one: since I do not have a KY driver's liscence, I've heard rumors that I will be dealt with according to Illinois law. Now, I BELIEVE I'm in the clear as far as KY law is concerned, other than not having a KY liscence/ID. But if I'll be treated according to IL law because I'm still an IL resident, then me owning this gun, let alone OCing it, is totally illegal. Thoughts on this?

Number two: If my purchase of the gun was NOT illegal, than I should be able to OC even though I'm not legally a KY resident yet, correct? Or do I have to become a resident (i.e., get my KY driver's liscence) before I can OC?

Those are my querries. I've seen some threads on here that have answered some other curiosities I've had on the subject, but these questions are a little too specific to be answered by threads that involve other states. Any help is very appreciated.

eye95

imported post

The laws that can be enforced against you depend on the jurisdiction that you are in, not on the jurisdiction you came from. If you purchase, possess, or carry a handgun in KY, you need to do so according to KY law.

Tribunal Power

imported post

Thanks for the speedy reply! I'm eager to find out more.

So, me not having a KY ID wouldn't be a problem for owning or OCing? And also, can that be cited? If I get stopped by a LEO, I don't think "a guy on the forums said it was okay" is gonna fly very far. xD

eye95

imported post

I can't answer that because I don't know KY law.

We have separate forums for each State. Look down on the index. They are in alphabetical order (nice for me: Alabama!). If you post your questions about KY law there, KY members will read them, and you will get better and faster answers about the specifics of KY law.

Good luck and welcome.

Tribunal Power

imported post

Thanks for the referral! I checked around and didn't see anything all that relevant, so I posted my own topic here.I appreciate the help. I'd still like opinions on this matter, and it'd be nice to keep this thread going in case the KY post doesn't get much attention.:D

neuroblades

imported post

Well, surpise seeing your post here. *LOL* Sorry we missed each other at the lexington gun show last weekend, maybe the nextt ime around though. :)

OK, you need to get your Ky. DL ASAP, the reason for this is because you can't take the CCDW class until you've been a resident for at least 6 months here.

The CCDW class fee is supposedly going to go up by about 200% in the near future, or so I've heard!

If you're looking for a great book to read on both OC & CC, mainly CC though, this is one of the best that I've read so far:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The-Gun-Digest-Book-Of-Concealed-Carry/Massad-Ayoob/e/9780896896116

I forgot to ask on the Ky forum, what type of sidearm are you carrying?