• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Have you been hassled by police for Open Carrying?

Have you been hassled by police for Openly Carrying your firearm?

• Yes I have.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No I have not.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

malignity

imported post

Simple enough question.

Have you been hassled before by police for Open Carrying your handgun? Has there been anyone out there that has been fortunate enough to Open Carry on a regular basis that has yet to be hassled? I've yet to answer the question, simply because though I have been an avid OC supporter, I only recently jumped on the bandwagon myself within the last few months. I've yet to be hassled, but I feel that it may be only a matter of time.

Just curious to see if anyone hasn't been hassled.

FatboyCykes

imported post

Hassled, detained and ticketed for failure to disclose(CPL).

Went to court, fought the law and I won, or rather the case was dismissed, after three hours of waiting in the court room. Hon. Jennifer M. Faunce presiding.

cabman1

imported post

What do you mean by hassled alot of people take that differently

I have been stopped provided id spent about 3 min on whole stop went about my way there was no harassment going on

B

Bikenut

imported post

Not been "hassled" but have had somewhat interesting (read getting attitude from) conversations with police, other people, one business manager, and a township council....

But, to date, no demands for ID... no prone outs... or "face plants"....

And I, like many others, have been OC'ing for many years.... long before it became a "movement"... a much welcomed "movement" I might add.:)

I'll add an unasked for opinion and a firm belief of mine....

A great deal depends on how a person presents themselves. Like it or not people respond differently to a person who is clean cut, well dressed, exhibits a friendly and polite demeanor, than they do to a person who is scruffy, stinky, and in a bad mood.

Now add the presence of a holstered pistol to both and folks generally will accept the clean cut person much easier than the scruffy one.

Like it or not.... appearance and demeanor does matter.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

hassled, hmm, no, not really, Ive dealt with many cops on many occasions, and I cant really say that Ive been hassled perse. A couple were as a result of citizen calls, the police have to respond, but they were respectful and professional about it. At GLX, Ive been asked to provide ID even though they and I likely knew that it wasnt required, and I was just OCing, but again, they were good about it. Oh, there was this one time where an OCSD officer was being kindof an asshat about it, I had stopped by the dept outpost to ask them about something, I dont recall what, and this guy started giving me the 3rd degree about it being "my duty to inform the public about OC", and if I could actually shoot someone if I had to. He was very, how would you say, "lawyerly" about the questions, and he had that condescending forgot-to-leave-the-military attitude. So Yes, in fact, I have been hassled about OC. I guess I'll have to go change my vote.

And yes, it is actually my place and duty to inform the general public about OC. Its something Im very proud to do, and something I take seriously. I look at it as a civic duty, a way to do my part in supporting and defending our freedoms. Im going to go to GLX and do it some more! Now Ive got "grand old flag" stuck in my head. lmao.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE8DARnAFc8:lol:

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA
imported post

I would have to say, yes. Late Aug, 08 Sparta, Kent Co. Detained because of being armed in a public park. The Detective followed my wife and myself out to our car, and followed us until I was sure that they were going to stop me anyway, then I pulled to the side of the street and the lights came on. I was ordered out of the car with my hands up, disarmed and made to keep my hands on the car. Gun #'s were run, my #'s were run I was told to sit in thew back of the black and white, and all because "you've got a gun" Sorry Asses at that time in the Kent Co. SD. Don't know if they have changed thus far, but I would like to visit the area again. It would be nice to see if they had "grown up" so to speak.springerdave.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
imported post

springerdave wrote:
I would have to say, yes. Late Aug, 08 Sparta, Kent Co. Detained because of being armed in a public park. The Detective followed my wife and myself out to our car, and followed us until I was sure that they were going to stop me anyway, then I pulled to the side of the street and the lights came on. I was ordered out of the car with my hands up, disarmed and made to keep my hands on the car. Gun #'s were run, my #'s were run I was told to sit in thew back of the black and white, and all because "you've got a gun" Sorry Asses at that time in the Kent Co. SD. Don't know if they have changed thus far, but I would like to visit the area again. It would be nice to see if they had "grown up" so to speak.springerdave.

Perhaps they have... around 2pm today two KCSD deputies passed me in the Standale Meijer store and nodded as they went by (could have been Ottawa County, too; it's on/very near the line, but in Kent County)

Taurus850CIA

imported post

Once, some time ago, at a get together in Rochester. There were six of us there. My sister and I were also kicked out of the Cabelas in Dundee. Both have since been fixed, though Cabelas seems to be broken (in a different manner) for the time being...

PDinDetroit

imported post

Taurus850CIA wrote:
Once, some time ago, at a get together in Rochester. There were six of us there. My sister and I were also kicked out of the Cabelas in Dundee. Both have since been fixed, though Cabelas seems to be broken (in a different manner) for the time being...
Cabelas re-opened Sunday Afternoon from the tornado/storm damage (from what was reported).

sprinklerguy28

imported post

scot623 wrote:
Twice, once at the Downtown Hoedown, once in Marysville.

Maybe it's because of the other guy you were there with on both occasions:quirky

Yes I've been harassed, disarmed, and detained. Never went to jail or been charged. It's kind of funny when they realize you've done nothing illegal.

Sterling Heights on several occasions, Roseville, Detroit several times, Marysville, Clinton Twp. Also once in Virgina and Tennessee.

PDinDetroit

imported post

sprinklerguy28 wrote:
scot623 wrote:
Twice, once at the Downtown Hoedown, once in Marysville.
Maybe it's because of the other guy you were there with on both occasions:quirky

Yes I've been harassed, disarmed, and detained. Never went to jail or been charged. It's kind of funny when they realize you've done nothing illegal.

Sterling Heights on several occasions, Roseville, Detroit several times, Marysville, Clinton Twp. Also once in Virgina and Tennessee.
Some guys get all the "luck". :banghead:

Michigander

imported post

The thing that begs to be asked is when and where. Other than the notoriously screwed up areas like Detroit as well as some more rural and tourist type places, wrongfully being detained has almost completely ceased. It hasn't happened to me in over a year now.

The survey is misleading in that it doesn't show the number of police hasslings relative to the date and place, which could intimidate those newer to OCing. :?

bigdaddyj

imported post

The only issue I have had was back in sept. '09. When I had the AD.:banghead: I have dealt with LEO's on a few occaisons where I was OCing. I even disclose (even though I'm not required, as I don't have my CPL yet). No issues as of yet.