• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Incident yesterday at Ben's Loan in Renton

Ruby

imported post

Jayd1981 wrote:
I have taken my pistol out in a store before. It was when I was looking for a holster for my LCP. After I found a few possibilities, I took them to the gun counter to see if they had a LCP to try the fit with but they didn't have any. In my situation, I first asked the person at the gun counter if it was ok to remove my pistol from my pocket to try it in the holsters. They had no problem with that as long as I cleared it immediately.

There are senarios where you might want to take out your pistol without there being a threat, but first taking to those running the business is a great first step.
I have also taken my gun out of my purse, emptied and cleared it when I was trying to find a holster for my 1911. I did ask if it was okay before I did that, though.The people at the store knew me, so they were fine with it. This is entirely different from loading your mags at the counter. I would never do something that stupid. I checked Renton's police reports where they list crimes for that day and nothing came up so perhaps he got off with a warning or was just detained. Hopefully, he learned something.

Trigger Dr

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
Guy sounds like an idiot.

I only handle my Glock at the range when shooting and at home when cleaning or practicing drawing from the holster, unloaded in both cases.

Hope he's not on this site.
I hope he IS on this site. It would give him an idea of just how stupid an act it was.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Trigger Dr wrote:
G22Paddy wrote:
Guy sounds like an idiot.

I only handle my Glock at the range when shooting and at home when cleaning or practicing drawing from the holster, unloaded in both cases.

Hope he's not on this site.
I hope he IS on this site. It would give him an idea of just how stupid an act it was.
I understand to issue of not wanting to be associated with that would do such a thing but where else can they go to possibly see errors of their ways.

Is it better to shun them or to bring them in and bring a little education to them?

killchain

imported post

Reminds me of that part in The Terminator.

Arnie starts loading the shotgun at the counter.

"You can't do that!" screams the clerk.

"WRONG."

Yeah. That would have tripped my DANGER alarm.

Ruby

imported post

I just got off the phone with the employee at Ben's Loan who told me about the incident there. I told him that I had posted what he told me here at Opencarry.org. He said he hoped that I hadn't given any of the particulars because it is going to go to trial. I apologized and said that I didn't realize that it was confidential and he said he didn't either. I said that I only posted what he told me and where it happened. He really can't discuss it any more because he is a witness to what happened. So we won't know anymore until it is over. I told him I did not use his name and thatI wouldn't use his name or discuss it further. We do not want to damage his testimony should he have to testify at trial, which he probably will. I was simply wanting to share what happened in the interest of OC. Hopefully I haven't caused any damage. He didn't know at the time that he shouldn't have said anything to anyone. I think the person who did this is going to need a good attorney. So that's where it stands right now.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

Ruby wrote:
I just got off the phone with the employee at Ben's Loan who told me about the incident there. I told him that I had posted what he told me here at Opencarry.org. He said he hoped that I hadn't given any of the particulars because it is going to go to trial. I apologized and said that I didn't realize that it was confidential and he said he didn't either. I said that I only posted what he told me and where it happened. He really can't discuss it any more because he is a witness to what happened. So we won't know anymore until it is over. I told him I did not use his name and thatI wouldn't use his name or discuss it further. We do not want to damage his testimony should he have to testify at trial, which he probably will. I was simply wanting to share what happened in the interest of OC. Hopefully I haven't caused any damage. He didn't know at the time that he shouldn't have said anything to anyone. I think the person who did this is going to need a good attorney. So that's where it stands right now.
Ruby you did nothing wrong and neither did he as to being a witness.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

BigDave wrote:
Ruby wrote:
I agree. All the 911 recordings are public information. The police reports are as well. Anything that he said is also open for a deposition. If he wants it to be privaledged information then he needs to exercise his 5th Amendment right and be silent.

sudden valley gunner

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

I agree. All the 911 recordings are public information. The police reports are as well. Anything that he said is also open for a deposition. If he wants it to be privaledged information then he needs to exercise his 5th Amendment right and be silent.
....but according to SCOTUS he has to ......ahhhh nevermind......lol.

Ruby

imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
BigDave wrote:
Ruby wrote:
When I first spoke with him about it on Friday, he kept his voice down and told me to keep mine down as well. He didn't want to upset the woman who works there. I think she is the manager or the owner. I don't particularly like her because she was rude to me once for no reason. That's neither here nor there. This may have more to do with his job and her wanting to keep it quiet than anything else.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Always some knuckle head out there making others look bad. People like him are one of many reasons I carry. Who knows what he had planned before the cops got there.

Edit: I have inlaws that work at Starbucks..I was thinking of getting some Starbucks shirts. Seems only fit to support them. Go Starbucks.

kparker

imported post

I have taken my pistol out in a store before. It was when I was looking for a holster for my LCP... In my situation, I first asked the person at the gun counter if it was ok to remove my pistol from my pocket to try it in the holsters. They had no problem with that as long as I cleared it immediately.

Oh, jeez, no. If you're shopping for accessories for handgun A, then it's the perfect day to carry handgun B, and bring in handgun A in its box (and ideally with a chamber flag already in place.)

Aaron1124

imported post

When I was at Blumenthal's in Des Moines, they had actually ASKED me if I could remove my firearm so they could assist me in finding a holster that it fit in.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

kparker wrote:
I have taken my pistol out in a store before. It was when I was looking for a holster for my LCP... In my situation, I first asked the person at the gun counter if it was ok to remove my pistol from my pocket to try it in the holsters. They had no problem with that as long as I cleared it immediately.

Oh, jeez, no.  If you're shopping for accessories for handgun A, then it's the perfect day to carry handgun B, and bring in handgun A in its box (and ideally with a chamber flag already in place.)

Maybe handgun A is your handgun B. Or maybe you only feel comfortable caring A. I have many times along with others done so, but always cleared it with the guy running the counter. Then again, I guess some people are overly cautious(nothing wrong with that).

Ruby

imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
kparker wrote:

Oh, jeez, no. If you're shopping for accessories for handgun A, then it's the perfect day to carry handgun B, and bring in handgun A in its box (and ideally with a chamber flag already in place.)

Maybe handgun A is your handgun B. Or maybe you only feel comfortable caring A. I have many times along with others done so, but always cleared it with the guy running the counter. Then again, I guess some people are overly cautious(nothing wrong with that).
I was at Champion Arms shooting that day and had not planned on shopping for a holster. I am a lefty and those holsters are not that common. When I found one, of course I wanted to try the gun in it for fit. The guy behind the counter and I knew each other and he had worked there for some time. He just told me to make it safe, which I did. He was not upset at all about it. I have also witnessed a customer take out a gun in Ben's Loan because he had a question about it, don't know what the question was. It is NOT something that I do or would do on a regular basis. Come to think of it, I had just come off the range, so I don't think it was loaded and I had it concealed in my purse. Cleared it to make sure. I never reload on the range; I will reload in my car before I leave the parking lot. I am very safety conscious. I can see your point also; it's definately not something to get in the habit of. But if the store says it's okay and they know you are safe, I don't see anything wrong with it when you are trying holsters for fit.

Metal_Monkey

imported post

Ruby wrote:
Metal_Monkey wrote:
kparker wrote:

Oh, jeez, no.  If you're shopping for accessories for handgun A, then it's the perfect day to carry handgun B, and bring in handgun A in its box (and ideally with a chamber flag already in place.)

I was at Champion Arms shooting that day and had not planned on shopping for a holster. I am a lefty and those holsters are not that common. When I found one, of course I wanted to try the gun in it for fit. The guy behind the counter and I knew each other and he had worked there for some time. He just told me to make it safe, which I did. He was not upset at all about it. I have also witnessed a customer take out a gun in Ben's Loan because he had a question about it, don't know what the question was. It is NOT something that I do or would do on a regular basis. Come to think of it, I had just come off the range, so I don't think it was loaded and I had it concealed in my purse. Cleared it to make sure. I never reload on the range; I will reload in my car before I leave the parking lot. I am very safety conscious.  I can see your point also; it's definately not something to get in the habit of. But if the store says it's okay and they know you are safe, I don't see anything wrong with it when you are trying holsters for fit.

I don't mean to pick through what you are saying, but something confused me. You said "I never reload on the range". So you only shoot what is in your gun then leave or did you say that wrong, or did I read that wrong?

Edit: I am a little slow today. I just realized you meant reload as in put back in the self defense ammo or whatever you use normally back in. My bad. Forget I said anything:p

Ruby

imported post

Metal_Monkey wrote:
Ruby wrote:
Metal_Monkey wrote:
kparker wrote:

I was at Champion Arms shooting that day and had not planned on shopping for a holster. I am a lefty and those holsters are not that common. When I found one, of course I wanted to try the gun in it for fit. The guy behind the counter and I knew each other and he had worked there for some time. He just told me to make it safe, which I did. He was not upset at all about it. I have also witnessed a customer take out a gun in Ben's Loan because he had a question about it, don't know what the question was. It is NOT something that I do or would do on a regular basis. Come to think of it, I had just come off the range, so I don't think it was loaded and I had it concealed in my purse. Cleared it to make sure. I never reload on the range; I will reload in my car before I leave the parking lot. I am very safety conscious. I can see your point also; it's definately not something to get in the habit of. But if the store says it's okay and they know you are safe, I don't see anything wrong with it when you are trying holsters for fit.

I don't mean to pick through what you are saying, but something confused me. You said "I never reload on the range". So you only shoot what is in your gun then leave or did you say that wrong, or did I read that wrong?
LOL Of course I reload to shoot. What I should have said is that when I am done shooting I don't reload my defensive load on the range. When I leave the range/store, my gun is empty until I get to my car and load it with defensive rounds. Sorry, my bad.