• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I open carry a shotgun Colorado?

jpprice47

imported post

I live inside city limits in Montezuma County, Colorado. I mountain lion has been sighted in my neighborhood (next door neighbor's yard) last night. I am tasked with unlocking and locking the gate to a privately owned nature preserve 200 yards away. I could open carry a hand gun on my walking foray to the parking lot but would feel safer with a 12 ga. pump shotgun.

Can I open carry a shotgun?:question:

entartet17

imported post

Yes, you can OC a shotgun. I'd make sure it stays on a shoulder sling to avoid any possible disorderly conduct charges.

The Cortez municipal code regarding disorderly conduct reads, "Not being a peace officer, displays a deadly weapon, displays any article used or fashioned in a manner to cause a person to reasonably believe that the article is a deadly weapon, or represents verbally or otherwise that he or she is armed with a deadly weapon in a public place in a manner calculated to alarm." Simply carrying a shotgun in one's hand (i.e. not on a sling or any type of holster) could be seen as causing alarm. If you stay on private property then the disorderly conduct problem goes away because you are no longer in a "public place."

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
imported post

I know the law for rifles is that you cannot have a round chambered. I would assume this would also apply to shotguns. This is not that big of a deal since it doesn't take much time to pump a round into it.

carguy

imported post

Rifles and shotguns must have open chamber, no load in chamber, only in a vehicle. You will find that long guns come under game laws. A good resource for all firearm laws in co is rmgo.org.

Sig229

imported post

carguy wrote:
Rifles and shotguns must have open chamber, no load in chamber, only in a vehicle. You will find that long guns come under game laws. A good resource for all firearm laws in co is rmgo.org.

Thanks for posting that.

I used to OC my M4 whenever I was up in the mountains with a round in the chamber. I once had a close call with a black bear up in the Roosevelt National forest. It was at night too, so after that I was always on my guard and started to OC my AK loaded with soft points. I figured that would be a better choice than the 5,56mm bullet for bear defense.

bomber

imported post

Diocoles wrote:
jpprice47 wrote:
12 Ga. double-ought buckshot.

That should do it. :shock:

p.s. been looking for 00 and haven't found any for about a year... sigh.
walmart ususally has some. at least, they do when i check.

CRCowboy

imported post

Brass wrote:
I've found that Sport's Authority tends to have a good supply of double OO and slugs.

I know Bass-Pro is fully stocked with about every imaginable 12GA, round available.

That said, DOW will investigate an out of season or tag-less bear / lion shooting vigorously. the thereat the animal posed will be scrutinies closely. Personally--- I would ad-hear to "the 3 S RULE" Shoot, shovel , SHUT- UP" unless its a true attack and your bleeding. Otherwise you can end up in a world of S**T

Factually you stand a better chance of being hit by lightening,than being attacked buy either. But it DOSE happen

since9

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Ian wrote:
I know the law for rifles is that you cannot have a round chambered. I would assume this would also apply to shotguns. This is not that big of a deal since it doesn't take much time to pump a round into it.

It doesn't take long for a cougar to pounce, either, and they are very, very quiet as they stalk their prey.

You'd be safer carrying a blarring boom box on your shoulder.

Dynamite Rabbit

imported post

since9 wrote:
Ian wrote:

It doesn't take long for a cougar to pounce, either, and they are very, very quiet as they stalk their prey.

You'd be safer carrying a blarring boom box on your shoulder.
You can't have a long gun with a chambered round in a vehicle. Outside of a vehicle you're fine.