• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry where alcohol served will again be legal

Task Force 16

Campaign Veteran
imported post

macville wrote:
Certain government locations are prohibited locations directly by statute, e.g., courthouses. The rest had to post under the prior law as well if they desired to make the building a prohibited location. Under the prior letter of the law, the gun-buster sign wouldn't have carried any weight according to an AG opinion, but I would not have wanted to try my luck in a court in this state carrying past one into a government building. Now, of course, they do carry weight.

Close, but not quite. Courthouses are not off limits. Courtrooms (I believe which are in session) are off limits. Schools buildings are the only other state/government buildings which are off limits (couldn't find anything about jails being automatically off-limits, strange thinking there.) However, they can all post.

Here's the rub. The posting requirements changed, not because of state requirements. It had to do with the turd, I mean restaurant/bar owner, Randy Rayburn who wanted posting to be easier. To get the bill out onto the house/senate floor, they agreed to the provision, but then didn't strip it out. So that's how we got to it. But we need to push for next session to make the posting requirements like Texas has. It's a certain sign with a certain size. Also, making no penalty if caught past a sign unless you refuse to leave. The only way you should be able to get around that would be if you have metal detectors and run everyone through it (like the city/county building here in Knoxville.)

I don't think Randy wanted to post ANY signage. I don't believe he wanted the responsibility of making the decision to bar fire arms from his establishments.

When the state was prohibiting the carry of fire arms in establishments that served alcohol for on site consumption Randy's carry permit holding clientele couldn't get cross with him when they had to lieve their sidearms in their cars or at home. Last years amendment to 39-17-1305 changed that. It put the onus on Randy if he had to post NFA signage to keep those "ugly guns" out of his place of business. His permit holding clientele would then have reason to be ticked at him and take their business elsewhere. Poor ol' Randy didn't like that.

Sorry Randy, can't always have your cake and eat it too.

Now 39-17-1305 (statute prohitibiting the carry of firearms into places that serve alcohol for onsite consumtion) is completely repealed. He has no choice now, but to post NFA signage, if he wants to keep guns out of his restaraunts. If it cost him customers, that's his problem.

falcon1

imported post

macville wrote:
Certain government locations are prohibited locations directly by statute, e.g., courthouses. The rest had to post under the prior law as well if they desired to make the building a prohibited location. Under the prior letter of the law, the gun-buster sign wouldn't have carried any weight according to an AG opinion, but I would not have wanted to try my luck in a court in this state carrying past one into a government building. Now, of course, they do carry weight.

Close, but not quite. Courthouses are not off limits. Courtrooms (I believe which are in session) are off limits. Schools buildings are the only other state/government buildings which are off limits (couldn't find anything about jails being automatically off-limits, strange thinking there.) However, they can all post.

Here's the rub. The posting requirements changed, not because of state requirements. It had to do with the turd, I mean restaurant/bar owner, Randy Rayburn who wanted posting to be easier. To get the bill out onto the house/senate floor, they agreed to the provision, but then didn't strip it out. So that's how we got to it. But we need to push for next session to make the posting requirements like Texas has. It's a certain sign with a certain size. Also, making no penalty if caught past a sign unless you refuse to leave. The only way you should be able to get around that would be if you have metal detectors and run everyone through it (like the city/county building here in Knoxville.)
You are correct on the courtrooms...I stand corrected.

Usagi

imported post

macville wrote:
>snipped<
But we need to push for next session to make the posting requirements like Texas has. It's a certain sign with a certain size. Also, making no penalty if caught past a sign unless you refuse to leave. The only way you should be able to get around that would be if you have metal detectors and run everyone through it (like the city/county building here in Knoxville.)
I'll politely suggest another solution:

Strip 39-17-1359 in its entirety, so that we can join the MAJORITY of states that do not allow the business owner the undue privilege of deciding who might be a criminal by posting a mere sign.

Trespassing laws are on the books already, and will suffice quite nicely, thank you!

suntzu

imported post

Usagi wrote:
macville wrote:
>snipped<
But we need to push for next session to make the posting requirements like Texas has. It's a certain sign with a certain size. Also, making no penalty if caught past a sign unless you refuse to leave. The only way you should be able to get around that would be if you have metal detectors and run everyone through it (like the city/county building here in Knoxville.)

Strip 39-17-1359 in its entirety, so that we can join the MAJORITY of states that do not allow the business owner the undue privilege of deciding who might be a criminal by posting a mere sign.

Trespassing laws are on the books already, and will suffice quite nicely, thank you!
I'll politely suggest an even better solution--Amend the Tennessee Constitution in such a way as to give the people of this state the right to bear arms virtually unrestricted and then amend Tennessee Code Annotated in such a way as it only puts the pressure on the criminals who prey on people in this state instead of on the law abiding people. Meaning that LEOs can no longer stop you merely for carrying a firearm.

Also Amend T.C.A such that any business which restricts the right of the people to bear arms must be financially liable for any harm that comes as a result of restricting our rights while on their property.

Amend T.C.A to allow for campus carry, and Amend T.C.A to allow for carry into any public park in this state---not this piecemeal thing they have now.

Amend T.C.A to provide complete preemption and take away the ability of cities and counties to restrict firearms--even pre-empt the Pre -1986 ordinances which can still be enforced.

Meaning we would be a FREE state with virtually unrestricted carry.

Usagi

imported post

suntzu wrote:
Usagi wrote:
macville wrote:
>snipped<

I'll politely suggest an even better solution--Amend the Tennessee Constitution in such a way as to give the people of this state the right to bear arms virtually unrestricted and then amend Tennessee Code Annotated in such a way as it only puts the pressure on the criminals who prey on people in this state instead of on the law abiding people. Meaning that LEOs can no longer stop you merely for carrying a firearm.

Also Amend T.C.A such that any business which restricts the right of the people to bear arms must be financially liable for any harm that comes as a result of restricting our rights while on their property.

Amend T.C.A to allow for campus carry, and Amend T.C.A to allow for carry into any public park in this state---not this piecemeal thing they have now.

Amend T.C.A to provide complete preemption and take away the ability of cities and counties to restrict firearms--even pre-empt the Pre -1986 ordinances which can still be enforced.

I will agree with all of this...

Sounds great!

WCrawford

imported post

Usagi wrote:
suntzu wrote:

Sounds great!
This is something that I would support, but I highly doubt that the TFA would. They, like the NRA, are too heavily invested in 'training'.

suntzu

imported post

WCrawford wrote:
Usagi wrote:
suntzu wrote:

Sounds great!
This is something that I would support, but I highly doubt that the TFA would. They, like the NRA, are too heavily invested in 'training'.
My point exactly-big $$$ is made on the privilege system this state runs.

In TN as in other non-free states, it is not about safety but about money--first, last and always.