• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Of Camaras And Recorders

eye95

imported post

SFCRetired wrote:
IANAL, but I do believe that, should this law ever get to SCOTUS, it would be declared unconstitutional on the grounds that a public official performing his duties out in public has no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Of course, y'all can come on down to Alabama, which is a one-party consent state. As long as I know I'm recording, it's legal.:D
Not only should they not have an expectation of privacy, they should have an expectation of sunshine.

JohnH

imported post

eye95 wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:
IANAL, but I do believe that, should this law ever get to SCOTUS, it would be declared unconstitutional on the grounds that a public official performing his duties out in public has no reasonable expectation of privacy.

Of course, y'all can come on down to Alabama, which is a one-party consent state. As long as I know I'm recording, it's legal.:D
Not only should they not have an expectation of privacy, they should have an expectation of sunshine.
Yes, sunshine, and in an abundant supply. I do think that these states know it will not pass constitutional muster. But that ain't the point. The point is that most people will be afraid to challenge or unable to pay to challenge. The cops pushed for all kinds of photography surveilence of the public to catch bad guys.Ya just gotta love the irony that they are the ones being caught. the truth is that not all cops are bad, i'm sure th good ones are ticked about this too.

I posted this mainly becausesome open carriers also carry recorders and mini cams to film their encounters for defense purposes should that arise. Odd to think that the truth could be so powerful as to be considered prejudicial.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

Glock34 wrote:
JohnH wrote:
Found this at http://www.keepandbeararms.com today:

http://gizmodo.com/5553765/are-cameras-the-new-guns

Seems the bad cops don't like being caught in the act, and have friends in high places to stop it being revealed. Ever wonder if we are not already living in a police state?
This is a Totalitarian, Militarized Police state. Amerika:(
cops-segways.jpg

eye95

imported post

JohnH wrote:
eye95 wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:

Yes, sunshine, and in an abundant supply. I do think that these states know it will not pass constitutional muster. But that ain't the point. The point is that most people will be afraid to challenge or unable to pay to challenge. The cops pushed for all kinds of photography surveilence of the public to catch bad guys.Ya just gotta love the irony that they are the ones being caught. the truth is that not all cops are bad, i'm sure th good ones are ticked about this too.

I posted this mainly becausesome open carriers also carry recorders and mini cams to film their encounters for defense purposes should that arise. Odd to think that the truth could be so powerful as to be considered prejudicial.
Fortunately for us, Alabama is a one party state and specifically excludes from eavesdropping laws places to which the public has access. Tape away!

noname762

imported post

eye95 wrote:
SFCRetired wrote:

Pardon my ignorance but what does "IANAL" mean???

Dreamer

imported post

I
Am
Not
A
L
awyer....

This is a caveat that people put on posts that border on giving legal advice, to let people know that its just an opinion of a layman, not "official" legal interpretation...

dcmdon

imported post

Fortunately in CT you can audio and video tape at will.

No notification or consent is required for "in person" recording. Standard consent and notification is required to record telephone calls.

This is great because we know the cops record who they want to anyway. So we can legally turn the tables on them.

dcmdon

imported post

Fortunately in CT you can audio and video tape at will.

No notification or consent is required for "in person" recording. Standard consent and notification is required to record telephone calls.

This is great because we know the cops record who they want to anyway. So we can legally turn the tables on them.