• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Granite School Police

Utah_Patriot

imported post

I was at 7-11 getting a refill when two officer in the corner came over and asked me if my firearm was loaded I replied yes. They said I could not carry my firearm loaded in Utah that it must be concealed.

They then asked me for my picture ID I replied that I did not need to present it but would comply with Utah law and provide my Name DOB and Address.

They stated I needed to have my CCW again I corrected them even though I have my CCW I did not need to produce it. They argued with me some more.

I asked if I was under arrest he said "No" I asked if I was free to go He said "No"

Here is my citation look at it and see if you see the Humor in the citation.

Here is a link to the Citation

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/gunsfreak4791/OC/graniteschoolpolice.jpg

Porter N

imported post

Humor in the citation: 1) We have the same birthday. 2) They essentially and blatantly, ignored - if not broke - the law by naming those three violations against you.

My wife, however, found no humor and, again, expressed her fear about me carrying when we move to Utah next week, instead of here in Idaho where nearly no one cares. She said, "While I know a few great officers, some are just stupid and piss me off in Utah. None of the cops here care!"

(Edit: we're not cop-haters, I swear. I actually would love to be an Officer!)

Porter N

imported post

WAIT! I found another oddity in the citation. Your DL number! failure to produce DL, yet there it is!

younggun20

imported post

This is the third or forth recent problem in the WV/kearns areas. I just moved from there and had absolutely no problems. I thinks they had some training on how to get us or at least waste our time.

How about getting media involved? I know Fox has done stories before on OC and always seem to have a positive output.

Rottie

imported post

Gunsfreak I am surprised you answered any questions. A simple "I have no intentions of answering any of your questions" would have been sufficient. I do feel an IA complaint coming on though. If the story is as you say you'll have no problem getting out of the citation.

Rottie

imported post

Another interesting thing is the code he cited is the one that defines loaded and unloaded, not one of the other codes that actually indicates what the particular crime is. You were also on private property (7-11) not a public street or sidewalk so still no crime:celebrate. You have a valid permit so even if you were on a public street or sidewalk with your gun loaded, still no crime:celebrate. With no crime, no probale cause to ask for ID and cite you for not providing it. What a dork! I doubt this one even makes it past the prosecutor. Still, be sure to file a complaint so the misinformed officer gets the education he needs!They are probably so used to pushing around theschool kids that they were offended you would challenge the illigitimate use of authority.You were stopped and detained without cause, and mere suspicion you might have been comitting a crime is not cause. Go get em'.

LovesHisXD45

imported post

This is getting ridiculous. It may, indeed, be time to get the media involved. I open carried in the Wal-Mart on 5600 S and Redwood road for almost 3 hours today with no problems while my daughter was getting here hair done for her elementary school promotion ceremony. It's going to take the media, the DOJ and a good law suit to set these sorry excuses for public servants straight.

Kevin

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

Thanks for sharing this but perhaps you are sharing too much infomation such as, DOB.

There might be some non Ocers on this national website. I would suggest to cross out all your vitals! Just a suggestion.

utbagpiper

Banned
imported post

gunsfreak4791 wrote:
I was at 7-11 getting a refill when two officer in the corner came over and asked me if my firearm was loaded I replied yes. They said I could not carry my firearm loaded in Utah that it must be concealed.

They then asked me for my picture ID I replied that I did not need to present it but would comply with Utah law and provide my Name DOB and Address.

They stated I needed to have my CCW again I corrected them even though I have my CCW I did not need to produce it. They argued with me some more.

I asked if I was under arrest he said "No" I asked if I was free to go He said "No"

Here is my citation look at it and see if you see the Humor in the citation.

Here is a link to the Citation

http://i997.photobucket.com/albums/af98/gunsfreak4791/OC/graniteschoolpolice.jpg
If you are carrying a gun "Utah loaded" on a public street (other than in or on your vehicle), then you are either carrying pursuant to a valid permit, OR you are in violation of the law.

You are not required to carry your permit, but if you refuse to produce it or at least let the cops know you have a permit and they should check with BCI to confirm, then you can be properly cited for carry a loaded gun outside your vehicle on a public street.

When you say your gun is loaded, do you mean "Utah loaded" (one in the chamber on a semi-auto), or do you mean merely a fully charged magazine?

Charles

Pistol Pete Utah

imported post

utbagpiper wrote:
gunsfreak4791 wrote: You are not required to carry your permit, but if you refuse to produce it or at least let the cops know you have a permit and they should check with BCI to confirm, then you can be properly cited for carry a loaded gun outside your vehicle on a public street.

Charles

Yes, I would have to agree with that, when asked if my gun is loaded, I would say yes, however, I am permitted to carry loaded in Utah because I have a CFP.