• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

so what point is it legal to pull ur gun on some one?

john118242

imported post

at what point is it legal to pull ur gun out on some one about to hurt you or hurting you or threatening you ? i know i didint use technical terms or anything like that so correct me if you must. i read some where about brandishing a firearm is illegal or something like that? can any buddy clear this up for me? personally i would just look down at my gun and make sure he makes eye contact :)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

With as many generalized and leading questions as you have asked throughout this forum, I strongly suggest that take a quality class - get the basic knowledge first hand.
http://www.pgnh.org/gunlawfaqs

And spend the time to review and learn things first hand - you don't really expect members of this forum to train you on-line do you?

Would you really trust what you read on a blog/forum with your life and freedom?

Yata hey

john118242

imported post

isnt this what a forum is for is asking questions and sharing stuff? no disrespect but i have done research and all the laws ive found dont go in much detail soo i came here to find out more. i am signed up for a class in handgun basics in manchester in august when i get my gun . ive been researching for weeks . i figured people wouldint mind giving me there opinions. i know what people say online isnt the truth some times soo no i wouldint take it for fact i would look more in to it like i have been . have i broken any rules on here?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

john118242 wrote:
isnt this what a forum is for is asking questions and sharing stuff? no disrespect but i have done research and all the laws ive found dont go in much detail soo i came here to find out more. i am signed up for a class in handgun basics in manchester in august when i get my gun . ive been researching for weeks . i figured people wouldint mind giving me there opinions. i know what people say online isnt the truth some times soo no i wouldint take it for fact i would look more in to it like i have been . have i broken any rules on here?
You're headed in the right direction, the best one, in signing up for a class. That way you'll gain more specific, basic info. If you haven't had any shooting/handling experience with a handgun, I'd recommend one with live fire training.

My previous reply wasn't meant to be a flame but a genuine recommendation.

Yata hey

dng

State Researcher
imported post

I agree with Grapeshot; good gun class will help alot more than online advice, because you don't want to end up in a court with your only authority for an action to be an unnamed person on the internet.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt anything to ask questions, that's a great way to learn.

If you're asking for my personal opinion, I only draw when I absolutely have to: if my life is in danger. If I have the ability to retreat or avoid a confrontation any other way, that's what I'm going to do. A gun should only be pulled if you are going to pull the trigger. It's not to warn someone, and there aren't any warning shots either. Verbal commands before using force are essential, especially if you kill someone in self defense and have to show justification for your actions. Commands should be yelled as loudly as possible, such as "Get back, stop, I have a gun and will shoot you if you don't stop". Yelling commands creates witnesses of anyone who is within earshot.

Lastly, please never take your eyes off your target to look at your gun. That second of looking down could get you killed in a life/death situation.

But taking the gun class you mentioned will help answer many of your questions.

NewHampshireNative

imported post

CRIMINAL CODE
CHAPTER 627
JUSTIFICATION
Section 627:4
627:4 Physical Force in Defense of a Person. –
I. A person is justified in using non-deadly force upon another person in order to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful, non-deadly force by such other person, and he may use a degree of such force which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose. However, such force is not justifiable if:
(a) With a purpose to cause physical harm to another person, he provoked the use of unlawful, non-deadly force by such other person; or
(b) He was the initial aggressor, unless after such aggression he withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to such other person his intent to do so, but the latter notwithstanding continues the use or threat of unlawful, non-deadly force; or
(c) The force involved was the product of a combat by agreement not authorized by law.
II. A person is justified in using deadly force upon another person when he reasonably believes that such other person:
(a) Is about to use unlawful, deadly force against the actor or a third person;
(b) Is likely to use any unlawful force against a person present while committing or attempting to commit a burglary;
(c) Is committing or about to commit kidnapping or a forcible sex offense; or
(d) Is likely to use any unlawful force in the commission of a felony against the actor within such actor's dwelling or its curtilage.
III. A person is not justified in using deadly force on another to defend himself or a third person from deadly force by the other if he knows that he and the third person can, with complete safety:
(a) Retreat from the encounter, except that he is not required to retreat if he is within his dwelling or its curtilage and was not the initial aggressor; or
(b) Surrender property to a person asserting a claim of right thereto; or
(c) Comply with a demand that he abstain from performing an act which he is not obliged to perform; nor is the use of deadly force justifiable when, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, the actor has provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter.
(d) If he is a law enforcement officer or a private person assisting him at his direction and was acting pursuant to RSA 627:5, he need not retreat.

627:7 Use of Force in Defense of Premises. – A person in possession or control of premises or a person who is licensed or privileged to be thereon is justified in using non-deadly force upon another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or terminate the commission of a criminal trespass by such other in or upon such premises, but he may use deadly force under such circumstances only in defense of a person as prescribed in RSA 627:4 or when he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson

627:8 Use of Force in Property Offenses. – A person is justified in using force upon another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what is or reasonably appears to be an unlawful taking of his property, or criminal mischief, or to retake his property immediately following its taking; but he may use deadly force under such circumstances only in defense of a person as prescribed in RSA 627:4.

627:6 Physical Force by Persons With Special Responsibilities.
I. A parent, guardian or other person responsible for the general care and welfare of a minor is justified in using force against such minor when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or punish such minor's misconduct.
II. (a) A teacher or person otherwise entrusted with the care or supervision of a minor for special purposes is justified on the premises in using necessary force against any such minor, when the minor creates a disturbance, or refuses to leave the premises or when it is necessary for the maintenance of discipline.
(b) In a child care program licensed or exempt from licensure under RSA 170-E, necessary force shall be limited to the minimum physical contact necessary to protect the child, other children present, the staff, or the general public from harm.
III. A person responsible for the general care and supervision of an incompetent person is justified in using force for the purpose of safeguarding his welfare, or, when such incompetent person is in an institution for his care and custody, for the maintenance of reasonable discipline in such institution.
IV. The justification extended in paragraphs I, II, and III does not apply to the malicious or reckless use of force that creates a risk of death, serious bodily injury, or substantial pain.
V. A person authorized by law to maintain decorum or safety in a vessel, aircraft, vehicle, train or other carrier, or in a place where others are assembled may use non-deadly force when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary for such purposes, but he may use deadly force only when he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury.
VI. A person acting under a reasonable belief that another person is about to commit suicide or to inflict serious bodily injury upon himself may use a degree of force on such person as he reasonably believes to be necessary to thwart such a result.
VII. A licensed physician, or a person acting under his or her direction, or an advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) working for the department of corrections may use force for the purpose of administering a recognized form of treatment which he or she reasonably believes will tend to promote the physical or mental health of the patient, provided such treatment is administered:
(a) With consent of the patient or, if the patient is a minor or incompetent person, with the consent of the person entrusted with his care and supervision; or
(b) In an emergency when the physician or the advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) reasonably believes that no one competent to consent can be consulted and that a reasonable person concerned for the welfare of the patient would consent.

I hope I'm wrong but from all your postings it sounds like you more or less want to carry a gun so you can act like Dirty Harry. Point in case this post you say " personally i would just look down at my gun and make sure he makes eye contact :)". Just because you carry a firearm does not mean it's the be all end all and no one is going to prick on you or try and beat you up. If your wantning to carry for such a reasonit's the wrong reason and will only end up with you useing the said firearm and going to jail. As other members have said your number one tool is your brain don't put your self in a placewhere you would have to use it. If you can turn and go do so don't get in a pissing match with some jerk who is looking for a fight. I hope I'M wrong and you get the training and turn out to be a great addtion to the ranks.

mvpel

imported post

Massad Ayoob's "Judicious Use of Deadly Force" class is, in my view, the gold standard of armed self-defense training. Self-defense is 90% mental anyway, and that's what this class focuses on.

john118242

imported post

i am sorry if i came off as a punk wanting to own a gun . i am not one of them . i have had guns around since i was little . the police are no help soo thats why i came here for answers i have experience but not alot soo if you guys have any suggestions on pacific places in new hampshire close to concord i would gladly take them . im all about expanding my knowledge . ya i think its kool to carry a gun but i respect it and i am getting in to target shooting and would like to have it on me for protection and ya simply for using the right to do it . plz dont think bad of me

NewHampshireNative

imported post

I was In no way putting you down or thinking of you as a punk or a bad person. I was just pointingout that your posting's seemed a little miss guided as to the reasons why you wanted to carry. I can not and will not judge a person who I have never met in person basied on a few postings on the internet. As for training and a good range I drive up to Belmont firearms and indoor range outstanding place and they have 1on1 traning classes for around 300. I stopped at the Manchester Firing Line once and it was so packed you could not move I walked out and never came back. As for the police ( most but not all police officers and departments) do not want you to carry firearms they see no need in you doing so and feel by doing so you endanger the public more.

john118242

imported post

NewHampshireNative2005 wrote:
CRIMINAL CODE
CHAPTER 627
JUSTIFICATION
Section 627:4
627:4 Physical Force in Defense of a Person. –
I. A person is justified in using non-deadly force upon another person in order to defend himself or a third person from what he reasonably believes to be the imminent use of unlawful, non-deadly force by such other person, and he may use a degree of such force which he reasonably believes to be necessary for such purpose. However, such force is not justifiable if:
(a) With a purpose to cause physical harm to another person, he provoked the use of unlawful, non-deadly force by such other person; or
(b) He was the initial aggressor, unless after such aggression he withdraws from the encounter and effectively communicates to such other person his intent to do so, but the latter notwithstanding continues the use or threat of unlawful, non-deadly force; or
(c) The force involved was the product of a combat by agreement not authorized by law.
II. A person is justified in using deadly force upon another person when he reasonably believes that such other person:
(a) Is about to use unlawful, deadly force against the actor or a third person;
(b) Is likely to use any unlawful force against a person present while committing or attempting to commit a burglary;
(c) Is committing or about to commit kidnapping or a forcible sex offense; or
(d) Is likely to use any unlawful force in the commission of a felony against the actor within such actor's dwelling or its curtilage.
III. A person is not justified in using deadly force on another to defend himself or a third person from deadly force by the other if he knows that he and the third person can, with complete safety:
(a) Retreat from the encounter, except that he is not required to retreat if he is within his dwelling or its curtilage and was not the initial aggressor; or
(b) Surrender property to a person asserting a claim of right thereto; or
(c) Comply with a demand that he abstain from performing an act which he is not obliged to perform; nor is the use of deadly force justifiable when, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, the actor has provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter.
(d) If he is a law enforcement officer or a private person assisting him at his direction and was acting pursuant to RSA 627:5, he need not retreat.

627:7 Use of Force in Defense of Premises. – A person in possession or control of premises or a person who is licensed or privileged to be thereon is justified in using non-deadly force upon another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or terminate the commission of a criminal trespass by such other in or upon such premises, but he may use deadly force under such circumstances only in defense of a person as prescribed in RSA 627:4 or when he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent an attempt by the trespasser to commit arson

627:8 Use of Force in Property Offenses. – A person is justified in using force upon another when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what is or reasonably appears to be an unlawful taking of his property, or criminal mischief, or to retake his property immediately following its taking; but he may use deadly force under such circumstances only in defense of a person as prescribed in RSA 627:4.

627:6 Physical Force by Persons With Special Responsibilities.
I. A parent, guardian or other person responsible for the general care and welfare of a minor is justified in using force against such minor when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent or punish such minor's misconduct.
II. (a) A teacher or person otherwise entrusted with the care or supervision of a minor for special purposes is justified on the premises in using necessary force against any such minor, when the minor creates a disturbance, or refuses to leave the premises or when it is necessary for the maintenance of discipline.
(b) In a child care program licensed or exempt from licensure under RSA 170-E, necessary force shall be limited to the minimum physical contact necessary to protect the child, other children present, the staff, or the general public from harm.
III. A person responsible for the general care and supervision of an incompetent person is justified in using force for the purpose of safeguarding his welfare, or, when such incompetent person is in an institution for his care and custody, for the maintenance of reasonable discipline in such institution.
IV. The justification extended in paragraphs I, II, and III does not apply to the malicious or reckless use of force that creates a risk of death, serious bodily injury, or substantial pain.
V. A person authorized by law to maintain decorum or safety in a vessel, aircraft, vehicle, train or other carrier, or in a place where others are assembled may use non-deadly force when and to the extent that he reasonably believes it necessary for such purposes, but he may use deadly force only when he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent death or serious bodily injury.
VI. A person acting under a reasonable belief that another person is about to commit suicide or to inflict serious bodily injury upon himself may use a degree of force on such person as he reasonably believes to be necessary to thwart such a result.
VII. A licensed physician, or a person acting under his or her direction, or an advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) working for the department of corrections may use force for the purpose of administering a recognized form of treatment which he or she reasonably believes will tend to promote the physical or mental health of the patient, provided such treatment is administered:
(a) With consent of the patient or, if the patient is a minor or incompetent person, with the consent of the person entrusted with his care and supervision; or
(b) In an emergency when the physician or the advanced registered nurse practitioner (ARNP) reasonably believes that no one competent to consent can be consulted and that a reasonable person concerned for the welfare of the patient would consent.

I hope I'm wrong but from all your postings it sounds like you more or less want to carry a gun so you can act like Dirty Harry. Point in case this post you say " personally i would just look down at my gun and make sure he makes eye contact :)". Just because you carry a firearm does not mean it's the be all end all and no one is going to prick on you or try and beat you up. If your wantning to carry for such a reasonit's the wrong reason and will only end up with you useing the said firearm and going to jail. As other members have said your number one tool is your brain don't put your self in a placewhere you would have to use it. If you can turn and go do so don't get in a pissing match with some jerk who is looking for a fight. I hope I'M wrong and you get the training and turn out to be a great addtion to the ranks.
is that criminal code federal or new hampshire? again just making sure

i dont even know who dirty harry is lol i respect your words and understand what ur saying . from my view my whole thing on what i said about looking at my gun making sure he makes eye contact was to deter him from acting on his attack and i understand there are people who dont give a darn if i got a gun or not . i grew up in new york and know many people who would charge you if u had a gun or not . i dont want to be that punk kid with a gun . im responsible and i honor law inforcement . i want to use every law to my advantage . im big on the "its better to have it and not use/need it then to not have it and need it " any suggestions on classes around concord?

john118242

imported post

dng wrote:
I agree with Grapeshot; good gun class will help alot more than online advice, because you don't want to end up in a court with your only authority for an action to be an unnamed person on the internet.

Having said that, it doesn't hurt anything to ask questions, that's a great way to learn.

If you're asking for my personal opinion, I only draw when I absolutely have to: if my life is in danger. If I have the ability to retreat or avoid a confrontation any other way, that's what I'm going to do. A gun should only be pulled if you are going to pull the trigger. It's not to warn someone, and there aren't any warning shots either. Verbal commands before using force are essential, especially if you kill someone in self defense and have to show justification for your actions. Commands should be yelled as loudly as possible, such as "Get back, stop, I have a gun and will shoot you if you don't stop". Yelling commands creates witnesses of anyone who is within earshot.

Lastly, please never take your eyes off your target to look at your gun. That second of looking down could get you killed in a life/death situation.

But taking the gun class you mentioned will help answer many of your questions.

ya i didint really think to much on that part . thank you for the advice and i am seeking out classes to take . i like all the good and challenging feed back makes people think more and i thank you for making clear points . my mom is against guns completely so she hasint brought me any where to do with guns or buy any soo 2 more months and i can get one myself im soo happy but i am keeping things in line im not irresponsible . i will continue studdying about guns and the laws for the next 2 months and from my understanding u cant do a class unless u own a gun?

NewHampshireNative

imported post

That is NH laws. As for taking your eyes off the BG ( Bad Guy) I tend to watch their hands as that's whats going to harm you not their eye's. As well as watching their body language as that's a good sign of what they are going to do. Your best tool is the training and books read everything you can.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
imported post

john118242 wrote:
at what point is it legal to pull ur gun out on some one about to hurt you or hurting you or threatening you ?
Oh, my! You lucky dog!! You have one of the leading authorities on armed self-defense right in your state!

Google "Massad Ayoob" and "Lethal Force Institute."

This guy wrote the first book for citizens on armed self-defense, including legal angles: In The Gravest Extreme.

Get the book. And his video: Judicious Use ofDeadly Force.

Both are available from a number of internet sources. LFI's Police Bookshelf also has them.

He also writes a regular legal column in Combat Handguns magazine. I rarely miss a copy, buying it solely for his column.

He also has a regular column, available on-line, in Backwoods Home magazine or similar-sounding title, though this is more about firearms in general than self-defense and legal.

He also offers regular classes through his Lethal Force Institute. The mailing address shows it to be in or near Concord.

john118242

imported post

awesome. im trying to find details on the site but it doesint really say prices or how to sign up

john118242

imported post

Citizen wrote:
john118242 wrote:
awesome. im trying to find details on the site but it doesint really say prices or how to sign up

Try this: http://www.ayoob.com/LFIschedule.html

The courses are named things like LFI I and LFI II. When you click on such name, a window opens that mentions the price and discusses the material taught. a
all the dates are in 2009? or am i reading it wrong lol

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

john118242 wrote:
Citizen wrote:
john118242 wrote:

Try this: http://www.ayoob.com/LFIschedule.html

The courses are named things like LFI I and LFI II. When you click on such name, a window opens that mentions the price and discusses the material taught. a
all the dates are in 2009? or am i reading it wrong lol
Call them at 1-800-624-9049 and ask then post it here.

Yata hey

rhoonah

imported post

john118242 wrote:
i am sorry if i came off as a punk wanting to own a gun . i am not one of them . i have had guns around since i was little . the police are no help soo thats why i came here for answers i have experience but not alot soo if you guys have any suggestions on pacific places in new hampshire close to concord i would gladly take them . im all about expanding my knowledge . ya i think its kool to carry a gun but i respect it and i am getting in to target shooting and would like to have it on me for protection and ya simply for using the right to do it . plz dont think bad of me
You may want to reevaluate your decisionon owning and carrying a gun if the reason is because you think it is "kool".

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

rhoonah wrote:
john118242 wrote:
You may want to reevaluate your decisionon owning and carrying a gun if the reason is because you think it is "kool".
Most commercial ranges have an instructor available. Check out some in your are.

Yata hey

john118242

imported post

rhoonah wrote:
john118242 wrote:
that is not THE reason it is one of them . its new to me and i like trying new things also thats among many reasons