• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sears and K Mart not OC friendly

SCJeffro

imported post

Just read this on Facebook (Anything about Guns page)

I notified Sears that i would no longer be a customer of thiers due to them kicking out a law abiding citizen using thier right to arm themself. confirmation of thier ignorance:

Dear Customer,

WEAPONS
...Policy

It is the policy of Sears Holdings Corporation (SHC) that individuals are prohibited from using or possessing firearms or weapons of any kind (including using any tool, supply, product or other resource in a manner that implies that it is a weapon)., concealed or otherwise, at any time while on Company premises (including parking lots) or while engaged in conducting business on behalf of SHC, unless specifically permitted by state law.

Sincerely,
Monica W,
Retail Customer Care
Sears Holdings Corporation
Now it appears this is out of their employee manual, but it was clearly addressed to a Customer implying that it applies to him as a customer as well.

hardballer

imported post

paul@paul-fisher.com wrote:
SCJeffro wrote:
good point, why then did they ask the Wisconsin man in the OP to leave?

Not sure. People don;t always write what they really mean (Sears).

Found this over at USACarry. Sure hope they mean it.
Originally Posted by SCJeffro
After making about 6 calls and talking to 10 different people, the 2nd to last last being a VP of something or other who referred me to the investigator/case manager who sent this email...

Quote:
Hello,

Its Emerald, your case manager, and this is the Sears cooperate policy regarding fire arms. Please call or email me to confirm you have gotten this information. Your case number is xxxxxxx.

Subject: RE: Request for fire arm/weapon policy

Here is the response from Sears Senior Counsel:

Our corporate policy regarding customers who openly carry firearms on our store premises is that as long as the law of the state in which our store is located legally permits the open carrying of firearms (i.e. carrying a firearm on one's person in plain sight), customers will be permitted to openly carry firearms within our stores.

Emerald Sloan
Blue Ribbon Service Case Manager
Sears Holdings Corporation
Toll Free: 1-888-266-4043 extension 75
Email: BlueRibbonService2@searshc.com

Schedule: Monday - Saturday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM (CST) off Wednesday and Sunday
I have removed my case number (as it is attached at SEARS to my email, home address and phone number through my old SEARS account)

So there you go, I feel this is enough for me to stop the SEARS boycott, in fact maybe you can print it out and take it to the store that kicked you out and tell the manager and Security guy to contact the Sears Senior Counsel themselves if they have questions!

SCJeffro

imported post

Yep I finally got through to the upper echelon of Sears execs... Like the post above said, it took me about 6 calls and several callbacks to get to some VP of something... Anyway After I spoke with him, I was told "I assure you sir, I will get something from our legal department and have a case manager get back to you." soon after I got the email above!

So I am happy with the outcome, we can now reference this letter should any Sears stores decide to kick anyone else out... Just refer them to "Sears Senior Counsel" They also called me back to make sure I got the email!

:celebrate persistence pays off once again!!

Canard

imported post

It appears the at least 2 of the 3 stores in the Milwaukee area sears owns their own property including their parking lot. One would think in spite of the issues in the mall itself Sears should be OK.

Southridge and Brookfield Square Sears Owns their parcel

Bayshore Twon Center Sears is owned by BTC

SCJeffro

imported post

You are correct, technically any store can have their own policies. The mall's rules only apply to common areas within the mall NOT to the stores. I actually know this because I was a ....
:uhoh: Mall Security Guard during College...

LOL

Yes I was a "Mall Cop" ... But for the record, I have never been on a Segway!

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

johnny amish wrote:
Has anybody oced in the La Crosse K-Mart or the Onalaska Sears? Valley View Mall is a no go with ocing, does that affect Sears?
Carries in K-Mart a dozen times or more, never an issue.

Sears is off limits, mall security doesn't respect the tenants rights.

johnny amish

imported post

bnhcomputing wrote:
johnny amish wrote:
Has anybody oced in the La Crosse K-Mart or the Onalaska Sears? Valley View Mall is a no go with ocing, does that affect Sears?
Carries in K-Mart a dozen times or more, never an issue.

Thanks, good to know. It's to bad that Sears owns K-Mart, no oc in one means no oc in both as far as I am comcerned. Carry on.

BROKENSPROKET

imported post

johnny amish wrote:

At Oakwood Mallin Eau Claire, ONLY if you have to go through the mall to get to the store.

Does not stop me though. I walk from Scheels to Carmike Theatre via inside the mall. If on the way I am stopped and asked to leave, I will leave via Carmike Theatre after the movie is over. :lol::lol:Has not happened yet. I do not enter the Mall through any entrance that has signs. :lol:

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

johnny amish wrote:
bnhcomputing wrote:
Thanks, good to know. It's to bad that Sears owns K-Mart, no oc in one means no oc in both as far as I am comcerned. Carry on.
Sear's isn't off limits because of a Sears policy, rather their land lord, the mall owner.

So from that perspective, only the mall owner seams anti to me.

SCJeffro

imported post

Like I mentioned, I worked Mall Security (it was in WA, but most malls operate the same) They have rules set up that encompass all the common areas of the mall... courtyards, hall ways, food court, parking lots etc...

The big box stores or "anchor stores" all sign agreements to handle their own security thus detaching them from mall rules and policies.

I say go to Sears and OC if you want (as long as it is legal in your state). Technically it is not part of the mall. They can however hassle you in their parking lot.

bnhcomputing

Founder's Club Member
imported post

SCJeffro wrote:
Like I mentioned, I worked Mall Security (it was in WA, but most malls operate the same) They have rules set up that encompass all the common areas of the mall... courtyards, hall ways, food court, parking lots etc...

The big box stores or "anchor stores" all sign agreements to handle their own security thus detaching them from mall rules and policies.

I say go to Sears and OC if you want (as long as it is legal in your state). Technically it is not part of the mall. They can however hassle you in their parking lot.
That's what we thought until the mall security in La Crosse confronted us INSIDE one of the "big box" stores and walked us to our vehicle.