• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Failure to disclose and stating the obvious.

malignity

imported post

So I've noticed that a few of us have gotten citations for failure to disclose, because the officer could not, for whatever reason see an openly carried handgun. Though all charges have been dropped for everyone that has fought this (that I'm aware of), I've highly been considering that if I ever do get stopped by police for OCing, that I would specifically say: "I have a CPL, and am openly carrying a handgun." then specifically turn to it and point, so that I cannot get charged with a failure to disclose. Though this is by no means required, does anyone see anything that would cause this to be flipped into a negative thing?

Just hoping to save myself a few bucks in lawyer fees if I get thrown into a similar scenario. Does anyone else do this, or similar?

dougwg

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA
imported post

Don't turn to show your gun.

Disclosure means to talk or give written notice.

The cop could say that you "displayed ostentatiously"(: marked by or fond of conspicuous or vainglorious and sometimes pretentious display) which would/could be brandishing.

There is no upside to "turning to show" your gun.

If you wish to disclose, just tell them.

YMMV

malignity

imported post

Touche'

And very good point.

Seems like a double edged sword. He could say I did so, even if I didn't and we'd be back to square one. That's not something a voice recorder would even pick up.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.