• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Marysville Stop

scot623

imported post

Sprinklerguy28 and I were in Marysville after shooting at the Bluewater Sportsmans Club. We ended up at the Marysville City Park which had a fair going. We walked through with no issues until we started to head back out. We were then approached by 3 officers, one out of uniform. He ID himself as Assistant Chief Buckmaster. He tells us we have to remove our firearms or leave the park. Then he illegaly threatened us with arrest for Disorderly conduct. When asked be me if he was just going to make that up, he clearly replies "yes". Copies of this audio have been delivered to each Marysville City councilman and the police Chief. This step was done only after I spoke with Chief Buelow the next morning. Although he agreed no laws were broken and a memo would go out concerning OC, I felt Asst. Chief Buckmaster owed us an apology and some sort of punishment for his clear disregard for the law. When delivering this to the Chief, we asked to file a formal complaint to which we were told "we don't have any forms". I demanded to have Chief Buelow called so I could speak with him. When he didn't answer the call, I asked to be called at his earliest convenience. This was 2 days ago. Not being able to file a complaint against a police officer is a very big deal. This is by no means over with.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LqNXbqwnvuY

American Boy With a Gun

imported post

"So sue me" I would....what a prick!!!

Oh wow, he needs a swift kick in the @$$

So even if he seen your ID you wouldnt be able to carry.....i think someones trying to make themselves look cool, and its not the people following the law...

EM87

imported post

WOW. That is absolutely ridiculous!

I'm glad you both stood your ground against that power tripping cop and are following up accordingly. Please keep us up to date.

detroit_fan

imported post

why did you guys leave, makes it look like you guys were wrong and now you let them have their way so he will just do it again to someone else.

zekester

imported post

I would have left also...fight the battle...not the WAR....

The LEO were clearly wrong....now it can be handeled on THEIR terms....the LAW which they are sworn to uphold...

Great experience for all of us...the way I see it...

Thank you for sharing!!!

Of course....JMHO!

Z

malignity

imported post

Marysville is EXTREMELY anti-OC.

I remember a year ago or so, when a police officer grabbed onto a man's holstered firearm and tried to yank it out of it's holster with the man's child standing right next to him.

This happened in Marysville Meijer.

We need to have a picnic here. Good luck filing a complaint guys. File ANOTHER complaint with the MSP, and since he verbally even stated that he would make up 'disorderly conduct' on you, file ANOTHER complaint with the FBI for using his badge to disrupt the color of law, which as you probably know, is a felony.

If it makes you guys feel better, I would have left too, but I'd be DAMN SURE to take that man's job with me.

Edited to mention: Be sure to post this on MGO. There are a lot of OCers there that should hear this as well. This kind of BS shouldn't be tolerated.

scot623

imported post

detroit_fan wrote:
why did you guys leave, makes it look like you guys were wrong and now you let them have their way so he will just do it again to someone else.

We made the choice to not get arrested. It was clearly up to us. All we had to do was refuse to leave. I'll look forward to you posting the experience where you CHOSE to get arrested. We pushed hard enough in our view. Trust me, we are not done with this situation. I am very aware of Color of Law and Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141. The City of Marysville is as well. ;)

DanM

imported post

detroit_fan wrote:
why did you guys leave . . .

To anyone who is asking "why did you leave?":as Mike Stollenwerk very correctly advises, it is in your best interests to be in control oflegal processes.

If you "stand your ground" andyou get arrested, you may very well prevail but you are not in control of the legal process.

If you leave under duress from someone acting under color of lawandyou then pursueany criminal or civilcomplaints whichmay apply,you are in control of the legal process.

Perhaps Mike can explain this more in depth, but the OC'ers who left did the right thing. Theyretain control of any legal process arising from this incident, and that is what you want to do.

Phssthpok

imported post

@3:59.... Is that the cop yelling "Bullshit!" or am I confusing another voice in the discussion?:uhoh:

kryptonian

imported post

wow. this made me mad and i used to be LEO. i couldn't even listen to it all at one time. had to do it in sections. i was yelling at my computer. neighbors probably thought i was in a domestic dispute.
handled well guys. loved the 'if i show you my ID can we stay?' "NO" 'then what's the difference?'
can't wait to hear the outcome. don't leave us with a cliffhanger. i would suggest finding the local paper and writing an editorial on that including the audio youtube link. hit em hard guys. you already know that the complaint to their department is headed for the paper shredder but it will show that you did attempt it. they will probably give you the 'we will investigate this blah blah. we take this seriously blah blah'. can't deny the audio. these actions under color of law are felonies. officers standing there and not preventing it are also equally guilty by omission.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

scot623 wrote:
detroit_fan wrote:
We pushed hard enough in our view. Trust me, we are not done with this situation. I am very aware of Color of Law and Title 42, U.S.C., Section 14141. The City of Marysville is as well. ;)
Yes, you certainly did, I think you did very well and went further than I might have been willing to go actually.

While it might seem LEO bashing, its not, those guys sounded a couple of steps from a full beat down out of control. When an officers is threatening charges and indicates he does not care if the charges are legitimate, he is beyond control enough it is time to become nothing more than a good witness and get other agencies involved such as you said, the state police.

Good Job and sorry you were treated so poorly.

scot623

imported post

MSP and Sheriff were both called that night. MSP was requested to come to the scene. We were both afraid of an illegal traffic stop if we tried to drive away or possibly an assault. MSP could not provide a trooper in a timely fashion. Luckily, we made it out of town.

Phssthpok

imported post

Golly, but your state's website is a pain to navigate, but DING DING DING!!...we have a WINNER! Lessee just how many crimes I can find that he committed.

Upholding or enforcing the law; duty of public officials. Not much of a Penalty, though I suppose you could pigyback Willful neglect of duty; public officer or person holding public trust or employment; penalty.:?

"...We were then approached by 3 officers, one out of uniform..."
And the other two were aware of Buckmaster's actions,but never stepped in against him? Sounds like Conspiracy to commit offense or legal act in illegal manner; penalty to me.;)

There's several others that would be applicable had you stood your ground and he actually arrested you, but since that is not the case.....

PDinDetroit

imported post

You guys stood your ground very well. I am not sure I could/would have stayed that long or done that well.

The Marysville Police were completely out of bounds here. In addition to willingness to falsify charges and removing you from Public Grounds without lawful reason, they did help to escalate the situation with themselves actually acting disorderly.

May the full force of law fall upon them.