Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exactly why you should have a recording device

Post imported post

GOD gave me rights!!!....The Constitutuion just confirms it!!

Post imported post

man i went to go get me a voice recorder, didn't realize how expensive they are. wal mart cheapest one was 30 bucks.

but this got me thinking though is what technique do you use to get it out. i mean i haven't had many experiences with the cops but the 2 times i have they made a point not to go put your hands anywhere near your pants. so my question how do you get it without the cop freaking out, especially if you got a gun right next to your pocket.

and second do you try turning it on and holding even if the cop can see it. or do you try turning it on and keeping it in your pocket without cop seeing or knowing about it?

Post imported post

goal,

allot of the folks i know that have video or recording devices all turn the devices on the moment a law enforcement official is in the area...before anything starts, if it's going to. also, allot of people keep em in their back pocket or pocket in the shirt...i think they make nice lil ones that also clip onto your belt and shirt or whatever as well as many other ways...in watches, pins etc.

Post imported post

Yeah, keep things in pockets away from the gun, and pull them out as soon as you see LEO

When I OC my pocket layout changes. My phone/voice recorder goes in the left pocket away from gun, and my wallet also goes in the left back pocket, away from gun.

Post imported post

Most people aren't aware of it, but cops keep a voice recorder on their belts. That's what one of those vertical, long packs hold. Any time they're out of the vehicle or going to a call, they're supposed to turn it on.

Likewise, you should consider something similar for your belt or, if you wear tactical shorts as I do, in the front mag/multiuse pocket. It would be easy to stick in a small recorder (hell, my mp3 player and cell phone also record) in your pocket or on your belt.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Post imported post

I usually keep my recording device clipped to my collar or in my front shirt pocket. It is my opinion that placing your hands low during an encounter with a LEO is something that will make him nervous. A nervous LEO is going to be harder to deal with. I do start recording as soon as I see a Leo on foot and within 100ft. That is the beauty of digital recording. Record all you want and delete it later if not wanted or needed

Doc

Post imported post

speaking of recorders...i just ordered my video recorder...similar to doc's i believe....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

anxious to get it and see how it does.

Regular Member sohighlyunlikely's Avatar

Post imported post

nrepuyan wrote:
    speaking of recorders...i just ordered my video recorder...similar to doc's i believe....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

anxious to get it and see how it does.
    I believe that is the exact same model as my current gum-stick camera. Though I payed a little more and bought it from someone who had all ready imported it. You should be getting yours in 3 and a half weeks.

Doc

Post imported post

my past experience in the hong kong stuffs has luckily come within a week or so...hopefully it'll be the same here....lord hope it's not 3-4 weeks. lol.

Post imported post

goalseter88 wrote:
    man i went to go get me a voice recorder, didn't realize how expensive they are. wal mart cheapest one was 30 bucks.

but this got me thinking though is what technique do you use to get it out. i mean i haven't had many experiences with the cops but the 2 times i have they made a point not to go put your hands anywhere near your pants. so my question how do you get it without the cop freaking out, especially if you got a gun right next to your pocket.

and second do you try turning it on and holding even if the cop can see it. or do you try turning it on and keeping it in your pocket without cop seeing or knowing about it?
    Most dedicated CA OC'ers leave their voice recorder on the moment they strap up. Delete unused later.

mofalloncarry wrote:
    Most people aren't aware of it, but cops keep a voice recorder on their belts. That's what one of those vertical, long packs hold. Any time they're out of the vehicle or going to a call, they're supposed to turn it on.

Likewise, you should consider something similar for your belt or, if you wear tactical shorts as I do, in the front mag/multiuse pocket. It would be easy to stick in a small recorder (hell, my mp3 player and cell phone also record) in your pocket or on your belt.
    Most cops around here wouldn't be carrying a recorder, or wouldn't be using itoftenat least. That's because they make up lies in order to take your money for their greedy municipality to waste.

Post imported post

I would have it clipped somewhere on my collar or belt

Post imported post

I just bought the saem one last night.

Post imported post

i got my recorder today...gonna stop by microcenter and pick up an 8gb card for it...

not bad on shipping...shipped on the 7th got here today [17th]...hopefully get to use it soon.

Post imported post

they seem very cheap on ebay. you have to tell me if it works good or not. i a bit skeptical on it so far. but i do like the style of it. i just know i be so mad if i bought it and the quality is crappy.

Post imported post

goalseter88 wrote:
    they seem very cheap on ebay. you have to tell me if it works good or not. i a bit skeptical on it so far. but i do like the style of it. i justĀ* know i be so mad if i bought it and the quality is crappy.
    goal...i do believe that doc has posted a video with this same one i got and it's quality and audio wasn't bad at all i don't think...

Post imported post

I just got one and I can't figure the damn thing out. And I'm a techie guy. Directions read like they were in English, translated to Japanese, and back to English. I'm pretty sure at the end it called me a Macho Business Donkey Wrestler*.

*If anyone gets that reference, you're awesome.

Post imported post

I'm only 22 and still remember watching news radio. I loved that show when I was younger.

EDIT: wait, :shock: does this mean I'm awesome?:what:

Post imported post

**** yes!

I have the box set of all the episodes. Awesomeness. Well.. at least before Phil died.

Does anyone's voice recorders lock. I mean if I go and get one from Wally World is there a way to keep what is recorded from being erased. I know several have said they use there I-Phones which are password protected, I just wondered if voice recorders are the same?

Also have a what if question. Do you turn off your recorders in a movie theater? I only ask because of the possibility of being charged with piracy. I know of the story of the OCer in AZ who won a case against some LEO's who pulled him out of a theater. I think a recording of the event would be helpful if something like that happened, but worry a charge might stem from the recording(unintenional of course) of the movie. I know it may sound outlandish just wanted some others thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    Also have a what if question. Do you turn off your recorders in a movie theater? I only ask because of the possibility of being charged with piracy. I know of the story of the OCer in AZ who won a case against some LEO's who pulled him out of a theater. I think a recording of the event would be helpful if something like that happened, but worry a charge might stem from the recording(unintenional of course) of the movie. I know it may sound outlandish just wanted some others thoughts.
    The only time any recorder of mine comes on is when there is a potential for some encounter [LEO entering the area etc] or a problem arises with an employee...then when the issue starts the recorder(s) come on.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sohighlyunlikely View Post
    nrepuyan wrote:

I believe that is the exact same model as my current gum-stick camera. Though I payed a little more and bought it from someone who had all ready imported it. You should be getting yours in 3 and a half weeks.

Doc
    I just recieved the same one a few days ago. Works like a charm so far but havent had any encounters with it on yet.

hey doc...have you had any luck getting the timestamp on yours to work in the tag.txt file thing?

mine is always stuck in like 2007 or somethin like that.

Quote Originally Posted by SavageOne View Post
    Does anyone's voice recorders lock. I mean if I go and get one from Wally World is there a way to keep what is recorded from being erased. I know several have said they use there I-Phones which are password protected, I just wondered if voice recorders are the same?

I got an Olympus. Don't know how many Gb it holds but it will record for about 80 hours. Even longer if you use the voice activation feature so you're not recording a bunch of nothing.

The damned thing is so complicated it took me weeks to figure out how to delete a file. I'm sure no cop could figure out how to delete the file unless he has one himself!

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony_I_Am View Post
    I got an Olympus. Don't know how many Gb it holds but it will record for about 80 hours. Even longer if you use the voice activation feature so you're not recording a bunch of nothing.

The damned thing is so complicated it took me weeks to figure out how to delete a file. I'm sure no cop could figure out how to delete the file unless he has one himself!
    just because some "cops" are ignorant with enforcing their opinions, doesn't mean that all should be made out to be retards technologically. just sayin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast