Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Science Center

Post imported post

Has anyone tried carrying into the Pacific Science Center. Did a quick search on their website however couldn't find anything.

Post imported post

It’s legal to carry there. It’s not one of the prohibited places. That doesn’t mean it’s allowed. If the PSC is operated completely by the City, then you can carry there – it’s not legal for the City to ban it. If the PSC is operated by a private organization that leases the property from the City, then even though carry is legal, it could be banned.

Post imported post

They are an independent non-profit group.

They believe in evolution and man mad global warming.

Why would you want to go there?
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

Learning about science is fascinating. Listening to people who claim to talk to an invisible man in the sky is not.

That's just a theory though
    "...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

"America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

Post imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
    gogodawgs wrote:

Learning about science is fascinating. Listening to people who claim to talk to an invisible man in the sky is not.

That's just a theory though
    I love learning about science. Psuedo science....not so much. Fake science that has not factual basis....NO.

I am a Deist, so I agree on the 'invisible man in the sky'...
    Live Free or Die!

Post imported post

Well, someone believing in evolution or creationism isn't a reason I wouldn't go into a place. As for the whole creation versus evolution argument, I haven't seen a single positive argument for creation, whilst there are some convincing arguments for evolution.

As for man made global warming....well, the jury is out on that one, and always will be. Has man impacted the weather? Absolutely. Anybody who has ever been to Los Angles or Denver, or any other smoggy location, can realize people have made an impact. Has it, by itself, caused global warming? Who knows. There will never be a way to prove whether it was Mts. St. Helens, Pinatubo, Redoubt & co., or man...

Post imported post

Not really sure what evolution has to do with firearms rights, but whatever floats your boat.

Post imported post

Same thing as saying why go into a place that believes in evolution and global warming...nothing.

Post imported post

oneeyeross wrote:
    Well, someone believing in evolution or creationism isn't a reason I wouldn't go into a place. As for the whole creation versus evolution argument, I haven't seen a single positive argument for creation, whilst there are some convincing arguments for evolution.

As for man made global warming....well, the jury is out on that one, and always will be. Has man impacted the weather? Absolutely. Anybody who has ever been to Los Angles or Denver, or any other smoggy location, can realize people have made an impact. Has it, by itself, caused global warming? Who knows. There will never be a way to prove whether it was Mts. St. Helens, Pinatubo, Redoubt & co., or man...

I've heard many positive arguments for creation (it seems to come with being on the internet). My favorite is that the universe seems too complicated, vast, and intricate to have come into being by chance.

Still, I uphold everyone's right to believe as they wish - and don't say atheism isn't a belief, it's a belief that your viewpoint is the right one in the absence of incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is no higher power. Of course, I don't think creationists have any incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is one either...

Post imported post

Man.. we're getting way off topic now.

Post imported post

I understand that they are a private organization just curious if anyone has OC'd or CC'd there and what they allow. I should be going sometime with in the week. I'll post the results later.

I might just contact them. I hate to "Ask for permission" but since they are private...

As for "Why I would go there..." I have a daughter and wish her to be well educated in both Christianity and things of the world. Plus I just enjoy doing family activities and since I don't feel that a 2 year old can safely hold or operate a firearm, I go to such places as the science center. Can't wait to take her shooting though.

Post imported post

Yeah, let's talk about something firearms related and noncontroversial...

Oh, I know! Let's talk about how the 9mm is far superior to the 45!

"...our media are palace eunuchs gazing avidly at the harem of power and stroking their impotent pens in time to the rape of our liberties."
    -Sarah Hoyt

"America is at that awkward stage; it's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards."
    -Claire Wolfe

Post imported post

LOL

Post imported post

My view on 9mm vs .40 vs .45

9mm has very controllable recoil and has awesome ballistics with good hollowpoint rounds. .40 is more snappy and has more energy, and awesome ballistics. .45 has heavier recoil but isn't snappy, more like a really heavy push, but more recoil overall than 9mm or .40.

It's all personal preference. They'll all do damage, they'll all get the job done. I wouldn't wanna be hit by any of em! Looking at this picture, it seems they all have similar penetration.

Back on topic:

If you call, ask if they're privately owned or owned by the city. If privately owned, you're probably better off CC unless you wanna test the waters to see if they say anything. If city owned, OC away and bring a pamphlet.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

Shooters before hooters.

Post imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
    My view on 9mm vs .40 vs .45

9mm has very controllable recoil and has awesome ballistics with good hollowpoint rounds. .40 is more snappy and has more energy, and awesome ballistics. .45 has heavier recoil but isn't snappy, more like a really heavy push, but more recoil overall than 9mm or .40.

It's all personal preference. They'll all do damage, they'll all get the job done. I wouldn't wanna be hit by any of em! Looking at this picture, it seems they all have similar penetration.

Back on topic:

If you call, ask if they're privately owned or owned by the city. If privately owned, you're probably better off CC unless you wanna test the waters to see if they say anything. If city owned, OC away and bring a pamphlet.
    Any ballistics that compare the .45 with the .357?

Post imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:

How about how the XD is far superior to a Glock. :celebrate:shock::P

Post imported post

antispam540 wrote:
    oneeyeross wrote:

I've heard many positive arguments for creation (it seems to come with being on the internet). My favorite is that the universe seems too complicated, vast, and intricate to have come into being by chance.

Still, I uphold everyone's right to believe as they wish - and don't say atheism isn't a belief, it's a belief that your viewpoint is the right one in the absence of incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is no higher power. Of course, I don't think creationists have any incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is one either...
    Argument from complexity would show greater support for evolution than intelligent design. Stupid design, perhaps, but not intelligent. Consider this article, mapping something known to be intelligently designed versus one that is not known to be such: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...linux-vs-life/
    See how the cell has a bunch of individual, specialized functions, where the operating system functions in an organized manner, where redundant functions are removed? Fact is, irreducible complexity is a poor argument, and it seems only to be made by those who haven't actually studied the very thing they're claiming to be impossibly complex.

Atheism is as much a belief is as not collecting stamps is a hobby, or bald is a hair color. Trying to conflate the two is sad.

OT: I like 9mm - I can carry 1 magazine that holds as many rounds as a single .45 mag, with comparable or superior performance, depending on the metrics used.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

sirpuma wrote:
    GreatWhiteLlama wrote:

How about how the XD is far superior to a Glock. :celebrate:shock::P
    Indeed: grip safety, better angle, less brick shaped, easier disassembly, and didn't take a dump when we went to the Tinkham pit... Friend's GLOCK decided that it didn't want to cycle. I was able to fix it with some love... er, slamming the slide back and forth, but it was an interesting reminder that even the most reliable can fail.
    "If we were to ever consider citizenship as the least bit matter of merit instead of birthright, imagine who should be selected as deserved representation of our democracy: someone who would risk their daily livelihood to cast an individually statistically insignificant vote, or those who wrap themselves in the flag against slightest slights." - agenthex

Post imported post

The PSC is privately operated and does not allow firearms. I CC everytime I go. I will be damned if I am going to be disarmed in Seattle.
    "A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."

"though I walk through the valley in the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for I know that you are by my side" Glock 23:40

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:

The reason I brought it up is because the evolution and man mad global warming crowd is the same crowd you find at the UN building and are opposed to arms in the hands of citizens.

As far as evolution; there is no example EVER in a new species developing from another. Therefore evolution does not exist. What most people commonly get confused is a species adapting to the environment over time. This is not the same.

As fa as 'man made' global warming; scientifically speaking you cannot take a sample of 130 years of data from over 6 billion years and make a conclusion. (I have read the entire UN IPCCreport and it is flawed from its base) That is not scientifically sound. The climate has moderated and changed for the last 6 billion years and there is no long term effect that man can have to change it. The only thing that determines the source of weather/climate and all energy is the Sun.
    Live Free or Die!

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

I go with 9mm.

And if you look at our fossil record it looks like earth spent more time in a naturally warm state than a cold one. Large Mammals eating and thriving in what is now a tundra enviroment.

As kids we would go fossil hunting out by Larrabee and find tropical fossils.

If anything the fossil record proves we didn't get here by evolution, otherwise the majority of fossils would be the "missing links". The religious groups haven't proved anything to me yet either. So I remain open minded until something is proven. Otherwise I just won't worry about it too much and go about my life.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Post imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
    As far as evolution; there is no example EVER in a new species developing from another. Therefore evolution does not exist. What most people commonly get confused is a species adapting to the environment over time. This is not the same.
    Hey, a claim that is almost testable (depends how much you play the definition game)!

Let's start with this definition: a population with an identifiable set of traits that splits into a group with the same set of traits and a group that has traits that are different of those which initially defined the species. For example, E. Coli is unable to metabolize citrate, it's one of the defining characterizations of the species. Well, until you observe it happening in lab: http://www.newscientist.com/article/...n-the-lab.html

What about the other definition, though, which is a bit easier for the layman to understand: where a group of sexually compatible for the purposes of reproduction split into two groups, each of which is sexually compatible within itself, but where one is no longer able to reproduce with the other. Surely, if I could show one case of that, I would disprove the claim that "there is no example ever blah blah blah." Instead of repeating other words, how about some links?
    http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-...ion.html#part5
    and http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/speciation.html

To paraphrase a quote I heard before, but cannot remember the source: It amazes me that people who believe in the christian god have such a narrow view of the universe. Rather than seeking answers to all the mysteries of the universe, they are content to say all of the universe's answers are in a book written by nomadic sheep herders two thousand years ago. Rather than staring in wonder at a night sky and thinking the universe is infinitely more complex and bigger than those desert wanderers could have hoped to comprehend, these people would rather say "no, my god is small and limited! these words encapsulate everything! they're everything one needs!" Instead of being open to the idea that maybe, those nomads with their myths were simply exploring the world and universe from their extremely limited viewpoint, one that could grow and even change as new facts were found about the universe, these modern people would rather the world remain mired in the definitions given to them by writers so primitive that knowledge we now take for granted wasn't even to be known for another 3 millenia.

Post imported post

Thanks joerocket. That's what I was curious about. Don't really know how the other topics came about.

XD grip fits very nicely in most hands, even my sis-law, 4'11" 105lbs wet, has no problems with it compared to her duty Glock 19.

Post imported post

OK so who's got the little smiley-eating-popcorn icon?

For my part, I like good ol' 45ACP. Not saying it's better than anything else out there, *I* just like how it shoots.

And Tawnos, I think you're painting all Christians & people of faith in general with a pretty broad brush there. Science and religion are NOT mutual exclusive.
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar

Post imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
    OK so who's got the little smiley-eating-popcorn icon?

For my part, I like good ol' 45ACP. Not saying it's better than anything else out there, *I* just like how it shoots.

And Tawnos, I think you're painting all Christians & people of faith in general with a pretty broad brush there. Science and religion are NOT mutual exclusive.
    I laugh at how sometimes evolutionist and christians talk about each other like the Brady bunch talk about guns. It has more to do with personal detestment and hatred than reasoning.

And the book of Isiah talked about the sphere of the earth hanging upon nothing. Pretty scientifically acurate for 2500 years or more ago.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast