• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pacific Science Center

deanf

imported post

It’s legal to carry there. It’s not one of the prohibited places. That doesn’t mean it’s allowed. If the PSC is operated completely by the City, then you can carry there – it’s not legal for the City to ban it. If the PSC is operated by a private organization that leases the property from the City, then even though carry is legal, it could be banned.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
gogodawgs wrote:
They are an independent non-profit group.

They believe in evolution and man mad global warming.

Why would you want to go there?
Learning about science is fascinating. Listening to people who claim to talk to an invisible man in the sky is not.

That's just a theory though ;)

I love learning about science. Psuedo science....not so much. Fake science that has not factual basis....NO.

I am a Deist, so I agree on the 'invisible man in the sky'...

oneeyeross

imported post

Well, someone believing in evolution or creationism isn't a reason I wouldn't go into a place. As for the whole creation versus evolution argument, I haven't seen a single positive argument for creation, whilst there are some convincing arguments for evolution.

As for man made global warming....well, the jury is out on that one, and always will be. Has man impacted the weather? Absolutely. Anybody who has ever been to Los Angles or Denver, or any other smoggy location, can realize people have made an impact. Has it, by itself, caused global warming? Who knows. There will never be a way to prove whether it was Mts. St. Helens, Pinatubo, Redoubt & co., or man...

antispam540

imported post

oneeyeross wrote:
Well, someone believing in evolution or creationism isn't a reason I wouldn't go into a place. As for the whole creation versus evolution argument, I haven't seen a single positive argument for creation, whilst there are some convincing arguments for evolution.

As for man made global warming....well, the jury is out on that one, and always will be. Has man impacted the weather? Absolutely. Anybody who has ever been to Los Angles or Denver, or any other smoggy location, can realize people have made an impact. Has it, by itself, caused global warming? Who knows. There will never be a way to prove whether it was Mts. St. Helens, Pinatubo, Redoubt & co., or man...
I've heard many positive arguments for creation (it seems to come with being on the internet). My favorite is that the universe seems too complicated, vast, and intricate to have come into being by chance.

Still, I uphold everyone's right to believe as they wish - and don't say atheism isn't a belief, it's a belief that your viewpoint is the right one in the absence of incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is no higher power. Of course, I don't think creationists have any incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is one either...

tiggr9

imported post

I understand that they are a private organization just curious if anyone has OC'd or CC'd there and what they allow. I should be going sometime with in the week. I'll post the results later.

I might just contact them. I hate to "Ask for permission" but since they are private...

As for "Why I would go there..." I have a daughter and wish her to be well educated in both Christianity and things of the world. Plus I just enjoy doing family activities and since I don't feel that a 2 year old can safely hold or operate a firearm, I go to such places as the science center. Can't wait to take her shooting though.

.45ACPaddy

imported post

My view on 9mm vs .40 vs .45

9mm has very controllable recoil and has awesome ballistics with good hollowpoint rounds. .40 is more snappy and has more energy, and awesome ballistics. .45 has heavier recoil but isn't snappy, more like a really heavy push, but more recoil overall than 9mm or .40.

It's all personal preference. They'll all do damage, they'll all get the job done. I wouldn't wanna be hit by any of em! Looking at this picture, it seems they all have similar penetration.

handgungelcomparison.jpg

Back on topic:

If you call, ask if they're privately owned or owned by the city. If privately owned, you're probably better off CC unless you wanna test the waters to see if they say anything. If city owned, OC away and bring a pamphlet.

Aaron1124

imported post

G22Paddy wrote:
My view on 9mm vs .40 vs .45

9mm has very controllable recoil and has awesome ballistics with good hollowpoint rounds. .40 is more snappy and has more energy, and awesome ballistics. .45 has heavier recoil but isn't snappy, more like a really heavy push, but more recoil overall than 9mm or .40.

It's all personal preference. They'll all do damage, they'll all get the job done. I wouldn't wanna be hit by any of em! Looking at this picture, it seems they all have similar penetration.

handgungelcomparison.jpg

Back on topic:

If you call, ask if they're privately owned or owned by the city. If privately owned, you're probably better off CC unless you wanna test the waters to see if they say anything. If city owned, OC away and bring a pamphlet.
Any ballistics that compare the .45 with the .357?

sirpuma

imported post

GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
Yeah, let's talk about something firearms related and noncontroversial...

Oh, I know! Let's talk about how the 9mm is far superior to the 45!

:D
How about how the XD is far superior to a Glock. :celebrate:shock::p

Tawnos

imported post

antispam540 wrote:
oneeyeross wrote:

I've heard many positive arguments for creation (it seems to come with being on the internet). My favorite is that the universe seems too complicated, vast, and intricate to have come into being by chance.

Still, I uphold everyone's right to believe as they wish - and don't say atheism isn't a belief, it's a belief that your viewpoint is the right one in the absence of incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is no higher power. Of course, I don't think creationists have any incontrovertible empirical evidence that there is one either...
Argument from complexity would show greater support for evolution than intelligent design. Stupid design, perhaps, but not intelligent. Consider this article, mapping something known to be intelligently designed versus one that is not known to be such: http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/2010/05/linux-vs-life/
See how the cell has a bunch of individual, specialized functions, where the operating system functions in an organized manner, where redundant functions are removed? Fact is, irreducible complexity is a poor argument, and it seems only to be made by those who haven't actually studied the very thing they're claiming to be impossibly complex.

Atheism is as much a belief is as not collecting stamps is a hobby, or bald is a hair color. Trying to conflate the two is sad.

OT: I like 9mm - I can carry 1 magazine that holds as many rounds as a single .45 mag, with comparable or superior performance, depending on the metrics used.

Tawnos

imported post

sirpuma wrote:
GreatWhiteLlama wrote:
Yeah, let's talk about something firearms related and noncontroversial...

Oh, I know! Let's talk about how the 9mm is far superior to the 45!

:D
How about how the XD is far superior to a Glock. :celebrate:shock::p
Indeed: grip safety, better angle, less brick shaped, easier disassembly, and didn't take a dump when we went to the Tinkham pit... Friend's GLOCK decided that it didn't want to cycle. I was able to fix it with some love... er, slamming the slide back and forth, but it was an interesting reminder that even the most reliable can fail.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

gogodawgs wrote:
They are an independent non-profit group.

They believe in evolution and man mad global warming.

Why would you want to go there?

The reason I brought it up is because the evolution and man mad global warming crowd is the same crowd you find at the UN building and are opposed to arms in the hands of citizens.

As far as evolution; there is no example EVER in a new species developing from another. Therefore evolution does not exist. What most people commonly get confused is a species adapting to the environment over time. This is not the same.

As fa as 'man made' global warming; scientifically speaking you cannot take a sample of 130 years of data from over 6 billion years and make a conclusion. (I have read the entire UN IPCCreport and it is flawed from its base) That is not scientifically sound. The climate has moderated and changed for the last 6 billion years and there is no long term effect that man can have to change it. The only thing that determines the source of weather/climate and all energy is the Sun.