• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for a cheap handgun

SayWhat

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
Mainsail wrote:
I paid $175 for a used (but unfired) Taurus model 85 that I'd trust long before a highpoint.  I know they're OK handguns but, ick, a highpoint?

Funny you should mention that...

My wife bought a Taurus 85 along with her C9, the HP was really an afterthought. The Taurus worked fine the first couple of times to the range, then it started jamming. Now, my wife wanted a revolver in the first place because revolvers don't jam. Sent it back to Taurus, took them a couple of months to get it back, and then it got worse. Ended up selling it to a guy on here & buying the keltec. All the while the HP worked just fine. :p

We have a Taurus 85 Ultra Lite that had a light strike issue. Got it fixed now it's fine. I also have a Taurus PT22 that will throw a fit if you run anything in it but CCI ammo. No brand is infallible.

Dem0072

imported post

Hmm, interesting. Well, I'm still batting my eyes at the Hi Point & Makarov ideas.

Either way, time to start saving the pesos...

prpsjeans

imported post

Food for thought... I know this was mentioned before but, I picked up a Ruger P95 in stainless from Butch's about 4 mos ago for $325. Great pistol, and with my big hands quite comfortable.

killchain

imported post

Dem0072 wrote:
Hmm, interesting. Well, I'm still batting my eyes at the Hi Point & Makarov ideas.

Either way, time to start saving the pesos...

One of my good friends had a Makarov, and it was an excellent pistol. 9x18 Makarov ammunition can be a pain to find, but it was a solid, sturdy working pistol. And quite a bit smaller than a Hi Point. ;)

911Boss

Gone... Nutty as squirrel **** around here
imported post

I was all ready to put down $275 for a NIB Kel-tec PF-9 when I came across the Taurus PT-709 "Slim". It is a single stack 9mm that is very Glock like in design. I picked it up NIB for $340 and it came with two magazines (the Kel-Tec only came with one).

It is just a touch longer than a J-Frame, but thinner than a revolver. It is just a touch longer and taller than the Kel-Tec PF-9. It drops easily in the front pocket of jeans.

It has a LONG trigger pull, but not too heavy. A couple of neat design features include second strike capability (not common on striker designs). Instead of DA/SA like a Sig or Beretta, it is SA/DA. When slide is racked the striker is set and trigger is SA. If there is a failure to fire, you have a DA pull that resets the striker and gives another try.

It also has a manual safety. Manual safeties aren't an issue for me one way or the other but I know lots of folks like them, especially in a pocket gun. The slight size/weight gain over the PF-9 makes it more comfortable to shoot than the Kel-Tec. Fit and finish of the Taurus was much better than the Kel-Tec.

I have put a little over 500 rounds though it with no FTF, FTE, or any other malfunction. I have shot Blazer Brass, Winchester White Box, and Speer Gold Dot 124gr +P through mine. All has fed reliably and it easily makes 3" groups at 25 feet. I was hitting 8" steel pretty reliably (5 out of 8) at about 60'.

Taurus seems to be the "liver" of the gun world. Folks love them or hate them, I rarely find an in-between. There are some that have issues, but they do carry a lifetime warranty. This is my third Taurus over the years, I've previously had a PT92 Beretta copy, and a Model 66 revolver. I haven't had a problem with any of them.

I am not a Kel-tec hater, I actually have one of the SUB 2000 folding carbines. It is pretty neat and fun to shoot. Should society collapse and we get to live out a "Red Dawn" scenario, my Glock 19 and Kel-tec SUB2K will be my go to choice. A lot of fire power, magazine interchangeability, and rock solid reliability, all in a convenient back pack size package!

PoppaGary

imported post

Interesting and fairly thorough conversation...I'm going to toss in my several cents as I have been down this road and am still on it as my budget just doesn't allow for the types of weapons I would really like to obtain.

My first pistol was a Bryco .380..actually went to look at a Davis derringer and got the Bryco instead. I like the .380 round and the better guns that are chambered in that caliber, but the ammo is not cheap. The Bryco was fineuntil I shot some Glaser rounds through it...the biggest problem I have is thatit bites the web of my hand a lot and I have small hands.

I also have a Jennings/Davis in .25 (actually the wife's gun now)...better than nothing, we don't carry it and I would like to get her something bigger & better, but for now it is what she will shoot. (Her ex gave her a bad taste for guns that I am STILL cleaning up!) About 99% of the people will dismiss this type of gun and round, but won't let you shoot them with it...I would recommend a .22 over it myself even, but it is better than nothing (barely).

My first "real" pistol was a Firestar in 45 acp with the Starvel finish, I bought this as a b-day present to myself withmy first credit card. Someone else recommend these pistols, but even though I really like mine, I wouldn't recommend as a first gun. Why? Single action only, although it does have a good safety that can be used when the hammer is down if one chooses and also has a mag safety. It is HEAVY and in 45 only holds about 6 rounds, 7 in the extended mags I have. I do carry this one a lot, but that is because my other "good" gun is a Beretta 96 (40 cal) which I don't find as easy to conceal and is more my OC gun. I haven't had any failures with it, but I hear parts are hard to find andI know mags are too.

The only way I could afford the Beretta, and the only reason I bought it, was a co-worker sold it to me on payments. It was a decent deal none the less and came with Trijicon night sites, a couple of extra mags, Pachmayr grips and a couple of holsters. (This is one good thing about buying a used pistol, usually the owner is going to be getting rid of everything for it...I missed a chance to by a Kahr in 40 with such extras when I didn't have the money at the time. It didn't stay at thegun shop for long.) The Berettais a good gun, albeit a little big for my hands.

When I was looking for a pistol I was seriously considering the Lady Smith DAO, but I think you pay a little more for the S & W name, although the "name" usually comes with a good reputation.

My next pistol was a 45 colt single action revolver..the Bounty Hunter...made by HWM in Germany and imported by EAA. This, again, was an opportunity purchase. A friend came across it at a good price and bought it for me. Haven't shot it much and need a holster, etc. 45 colt is not cheap either. Based on my post-buy research it seems to have a decent rep.

There are a lot of good guns out there for under 400, bothused and new. I would shy away from the .380s and 9x18 personally as the ammo is not cheap, although 9x18 can be hand in surplus I believe. Go with what most have been saying...try before you buy, get the best you can afford, but don't forget the extras you will need and make sure it is one you can carry with you. And despite not that many suggestions, a revolver is hardly ever a bad choice. I would like to get several, including a stubby with a bobbed hammer.

Please let's stay on topic and not bash on the "sat night specials" I mentioned too much, guns like the High Points (which I would have no problem buying) weren't really around when I went for the Bryco and I can't even remember how I acquired the 25.

Buying a gun is a lot like buying a car....you need to consider what you can afford, what you will be using it for and your personal preference. You will also want to have more than one, will want to get all kinds of goodies for it and use it a lot. Almost everyone will have a different opinion and may or may not have bought the same. At least with guns and good people like are on this board, you can try out the gun more than you can with a car.

Gary

oneeyeross

imported post

I buy my 9x18 for less than $10.00 a box....not surplus, but new. Ok, it IS Russian (Brown Bear, Silver Bear or Wolf) but I figure my pistols are ComBloc design, so might as well shoot ComBloc ammo....

Metalhead47

imported post

sudden valley gunner wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:
whats your life worth to you?

$250?

OK.
If that is all one can afford, then yes one's life is worth $250.
Sometimes we gotta do things like buy food and clothing and have some sort of shelter. ;)
Precisely. All of which one also needs to ensure one's life.

1245A Defender

imported post

Metalhead47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

$250?

OK.
this is a real dumb way to measure a mans worth..
the value of my life cant be measured by the price i pay for a gun.
some folks paid 1100$ for a kimber, that never operated reliably.
ive got a grendel P-12, cost 150$, has always worked just fine.
got lots of other guns too. do we add up the total to find my value?

TechnoWeenie

imported post

1245A Defender wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

$250?

OK.

Not price; quality.

Buy right, buy once.

It's something you must trust with your life.

Anything less than 100% reliable is not good enough.

Metalhead47

imported post

TechnoWeenie wrote:
1245A Defender wrote:
Metalhead47 wrote:
TechnoWeenie wrote:

$250?

OK.

Not price; quality.

Buy right, buy once.

It's something you must trust with your life.

Anything less than 100% reliable is not good enough.
And as has been discussed very thoroughly in this thread, price does not necessarily equal quality.

Just ask Honda.

Nothing made or designed by human hands is 100% reliable.

oneeyeross

imported post

I find it funny when guys start saying that if'n you don't buy some CoWesSiGlock pistol, your life isn't worth much, yadda yadda, shish boom bah...

Come on. Do you really think that? Just because you bought the spiel about needing to spend $1500 on a special super de duper handgun made by Joe Whozit, and now need to justify it to yourself, don't come down on those of use that don't have the ability or feel the need to do so.

My Makarov is as dependable, if not more so, than some glitzy custom job that people swear by.

If you don't like the choice I - or others - make for our defensive weapons, fine. You are allowed your opinion. But to be disrespectful of others to try to justify your own luxurious spending habits is sad.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

oneeyeross wrote:
I find it funny when guys start saying that if'n you don't buy some CoWesSiGlock pistol, your life isn't worth much, yadda yadda, shish boom bah...

Come on. Do you really think that? Just because you bought the spiel about needing to spend $1500 on a special super de duper handgun made by Joe Whozit, and now need to justify it to yourself, don't come down on those of use that don't have the ability or feel the need to do so.

My Makarov is as dependable, if not more so, than some glitzy custom job that people swear by.

If you don't like the choice I - or others - make for our defensive weapons, fine. You are allowed your opinion. But to be disrespectful of others to try to justify your own luxurious spending habits is sad.

Me?

Because I didn't demean you or anyone else.

I didn't spend $1500....I spent less than half of that on a Sig. (Yes that is still alot)

It is not custom. It is from the factory.

Makarov is an excellent firearm.

How was I disrespectful? I posted a simple comment and linked to a well respected video on Sigs reliability.

oneeyeross

imported post

Wasn't meant for you, Gogo...it was meant for the persons who write things like "250. if that's all your life is worth" or words to that effect.