Thread: Meijer Deli Counter Conversation

Post imported post

I was at the Meijer deli counter when a young lady asked me if I had a CCW. I informed her that yes, I have a CPL. She then told me if I knew I was brandishing and that was illegal in Michigan. At this point, I thought I was dealing with a anti but turned out she was misinformed and thought she was helping me.

I kept it cool and informed her that what I was doing was called "open carry". She did know something about open carry because she made a reference to OC in Texas (2nd time I have heard someone say that OC was allowed in Texas but from what I understand it no longer is). She said she didn't think we had that law in Michigan because her brother always is asking her when he CCs if he is showing because he is scared of a brandishing charge. I told her that a lot of misinformation still goes around about brandishing and OC in general but that OC has been legal for a long while.

I let her know about MOC and some of the information meetings we put on. I didn't have a tri-fold (bad I know) but I did find one of those business cards in my car and gave her one. She thanked me and stated that OC just seems so much easier.

Post imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    OC just seems so much easier.
    This. Precisely this.

Comfortable also, but most folks here know that.
    "Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
    —John F. Kennedy

"If a man neglects to enforce his rights, he cannot complain if, after a while, the law follows his example."
    —Oliver Wendell Holmes

Campaign Veteran

Post imported post

AFAIK, Texas outlawed OC almost 100 years ago.

Post imported post

ex texas cop here and he's right..OC never allowed but you can have a loaded rifle or shotgun hence the gunrack.
    what the meijer deli girl didn't tell you is in the last hour until they close they sell the extra stuff they cut up at half price.

MOC Charter Member Westland, Michigan, USA

Post imported post

Which Meijer were you at?

Post imported post

dougwg wrote:
    13 Mile in Madison Heights but I usually am at the Allen Park one.

Post imported post

Savage.Detroit wrote:
    dougwg wrote:
    13 Mile in Madison Heights but I usually am at the Allen Park one.
    I like that Meijer. It's cleaner than the one at 12 and mound.

All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.