• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

12 GAUGE handgun

45acpForMe

imported post

It is a 2+1 not 4.

So does a $5 tax stamp take 4+ months like the $200 one?

It would be nice if they built a shorty out of a Saiga so you had 10+1. :)

Dreamer

imported post

And a Saiga wouldn't have NEARLY the recoil either, being a gas-operated semiautomatic...

Maybe someone should drop them a note and recommend such a project.

But I imagine making such a firearm from a Saiga would probably DOUBLE the price, and it would be VERY difficult to arrange the import of the parts and still do it legally...

ecocks

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
would that with 4 slugs be a good home defense gun
I wouldn't use it for HD. Might be an option for house clearing if loaded with shot though.

Frankly, I never inderstood the perceived attraction of firing slugs from your shotgun unless you were frustrated you didn't think to buy or bring along a rifle.

erichonda30

Banned

Batousaii

imported post

Back in the day there was a company making 3+1 out of Mosberg 500 receivers, it was a lil longer than the Serbu, but was still ultra small. If i can find a pick i'll post it.

45acpForMe

imported post

Or you could go with Tromix 8" barrel and remove the folding stock: http://www.tromix.com/saiga.htm

#S17-Tromix Saiga 12ga
Tromix folding stock, 8" barrel, HK sights (re-conditioned), Galil charging handle, and door breacher.
Priced at: $1,785 (Less $550 w/ customer supplied gun)
Add Available Options:
- SRTrigger add $85
- XS Night Sights add $120
- Limbsaver recoil pad add $75
- Tromix Flash Hider N/C
- Kross Hellion Hand Guard $125
- 10" Barrel add $100
- 12" Barrel Add $250
- 14" barrel add $250

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

ecocks wrote:
Frankly, I never inderstood the perceived attraction of firing slugs from your shotgun unless you were frustrated you didn't think to buy or bring along a rifle.
Mostly I agree, but when you need maximal knock-down power at close range, a 12 gauge magnum slug can be just the ticket. People hiking in Alaska often carry shotguns loaded with slugs in case of a bear attack. The rudimentary sights don't really matter at 30 feet and the 12 ga slug hits like freight train. Buckshot won't penetrate well enough because of the (relatively) light weight of each individual pellet. Almost the only thing in a rifle which hits with similar force at close range is a .45-70 magnum...the other popular bear gun. I guess a 12 ga pistol might be handy for bear protection, but there are so many other good options (460, 454, 500) that I wouldn't spend the money for it. I suspect the 12 ga handgun is more gimmick than gun.

kwikrnu

Banned
imported post

If you're going to spend the money a saiga is the way to go. They are supposedly okay reliable with 14" barrels. Convert it, get a folding stock, cut the barrel down, and get a 20 round drum magazine. $1000-$1100.

I have one, just haven't cut it down yet.

Shoop

imported post

Dreamer wrote:
And a Saiga wouldn't have NEARLY the recoil either, being a gas-operated semiautomatic...

Maybe someone should drop them a note and recommend such a project.

But I imagine making such a firearm from a Saiga would probably DOUBLE the price, and it would be VERY difficult to arrange the import of the parts and still do it legally...

not only that but where would the gas piston go? Not alot of room for the action and piston haha.