• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bellingham Herald - OCDO members hold BBQ & litter pick up at north Fork Gravel Pit

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2010/06/06/1463019/out-about-t-shirt-sale-benefits.html

GUN-LOVERS DE-LITTER SHOOTING AREA

Tyler Visser of Bellingham wrote to tell me about a volunteer cleanup operation held May 15 at the North Fork gravel pit just east of Deming.

Members of opencarry.org, a Second Amendment group, picked up trash and targets at the local shooting area. They coordinated the effort with the state Department of Natural Resources and Project Wilderness from Bend, Ore.

There were a few weekend shooters at the pit when the volunteers arrived, and Tyler says they pitched in to help with the cleanup.

Once the work was done, Tyler says, "We barbequed burgers and had a good time chatting with others who share similar interests. At the end of the day, what else is a Second Amendment group to do but blow off a few rounds. We managed to find all our targets and add them to the growing pile."

More than 15 volunteers gathered trash, including wood targets, dish soap containers, beer and soda cans, the transaxle from a car, propane cans, microwaves, a fire extinguisher and three dead chickens.

"We piled it all up, loaded up some trucks, and headed to the dump," Tyler wrote.

He and his wife, Martha, split the dump costs with the state.

. . .