• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Pro-gun comments by Sharron Angle on Reno radio today

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

I don't know anything else about her, but Angle was on a Reno radio station (sorry, dunno which one of the two that I listen to) this morning, lauding Constitutional Carry such as that found in Vermont.

She SPECIFICALLY mentioned CCW without getting state permission.

Gordie

imported post

I posted this in response to another thread, but it still applies.

Although she may support gun rights, there are other things to consider. A few key reasons not to supportSharron Angle

1) She was in the IAP for many years as a Nye county School Board member. She only changed to being a Republican after losing election for another office.

Nothing against the IAP, I just wonder if her decision to change parties was based on the fact that she had very little chance to advance her career whilein the IAP.

2) She is ineffective. She introduced 43 bills as a legislator and only passed 1.

This is a pass rate of just 2.3%. Do we really want to rely on someone on the national level who only had a success rate of 2.3% on the state level?

3) She is a deficit spender. Shealways voted for all appropriations, just never funding them. Even during the 2003, she voted for more spending than could balance the budget.

Thelaw of the state requires a balanced budget, once the legislature passes the budget, and the governor signs it, it must be funded. Sue voted to pass a budget that wouldhave caused a deficit, this required an increase in revenue, she voted against the tax increase which was required to fund the budgetthat she voted for and encouraged others to join her. This resulted in2 extended special sessions which cost the state $50,000 a day. The 2sessionslasted a total of 37 days, costingthe state $1,850,000.

Voting for the budget, but then voting against funding it reminds me of a rather well known quote "I actually voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it."

In the 2005 session, she never introduced a single bill to roll back or eliminate any of the taxes of the 2003 session and again voted for all of the spending.

Considering that her biggest claim to fame is being a tax fighter, this is a problem.

4)In the 2003 session, she tried to get the State of Nevada to fund sendingNevada inmates with substance abuse problems to a Mexico rehab center run by the Church of Scientology.

Why would we send our inmates to Mexico, unless that is where they belonged in the first place?

5)In2004, she actively recruited Republicans to run against Republicans to try and secure more votes to get herself into leadership at the expense ofthe Assembly Republican caucus. She specifically targeted Republicans who had defied her and voted for the tax increase to cover the budget during the previous session. (A budget which she voted for, but refused to fund.)

She was somewhat successful, several of these seats went to Democrats as a result.

If this is the kind of game playing that you want in Washington, then why not leave Harry in office?

gunrunner1911

imported post

What Gordie said. Sue Lowden is no prize either.

Didn't youpost Larkin was a good choice after hearing him on the radio? If that was your post you may want to stop listening to that station and look up your information first hand I wouldn't trust anyone this year or 2012 "THEY" have a serious agenda and that means BOTH sides.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
imported post

gunrunner1911 wrote:
What Gordie said. Sue Lowden is no prize either.

Didn't youpost Larkin was a good choice after hearing him on the radio? If that was your post you may want to stop listening to that station and look up your information first hand I wouldn't trust anyone this year or 2012 "THEY" have a serious agenda and that means BOTH sides.
No, I posted what Larkin told me in person, just as a data point.

I posted what Angle said as a data point, and because it's the first time I've heard anyone running for the Senate say such a thing.

I don't care that she wasn't a Republican. _I_ am not a Republican. I'm not voting in the primary, and will support whichever Republican they put up against Harry. Whoever you get for that race, get them to say the same things that Angle said and I will feel better.

Personally, not getting laws passed doesn't worry me. Seems that we're pretty much set up with all the laws we need, and ten thousand too many . . .it's time to start getting rid of some of them. If Angle gets to DC and does nothing but hit the party circuit, that's a lot better than someone who is actively screwing up this country.

Consider also that NOT ONE Federal gun grab was passed without the SUPPORT of Republicans, so maybe it's time to get more people to say what Angle said.

You make up your own mind, but my vote generally goes to the person making the loudest pro-gun statement. None of those other promises is all that important, if I'm bleeding out in the gutter because the government has disarmed me.

The Big Guy

imported post

I've been through this topic before on here so I'll keep it short. No right thinking person on here wants another termfor H.S. Harry. Sue and Danny are running very negative campaigns against Sharron, that I don't like. Angles campaign has been about getting rid of Reid, which I do like. Let's assume when it comes to RTKBA they are all equal, then one has to decide on other issues. Both Sue and Danny have made statements about how Harry does not "bring home the bacon", and they will. I don't want someone bringing home the bacon, I want the bacon supply shut off, for everyone. I want Washington to leave us alone. I think Angle is an outsider to the Republican machine and that is a good thing. Just like Ron and Rand Paul.

45 ACP rocks

imported post

The Big Guy wrote:
I've been through this topic before on here so I'll keep it short. No right thinking person on here wants another termfor H.S. Harry. Sue and Danny are running very negative campaigns against Sharron, that I don't like. Angles campaign has been about getting rid of Reid, which I do like. Let's assume when it comes to RTKBA they are all equal, then one has to decide on other issues. Both Sue and Danny have made statements about how Harry does not "bring home the bacon", and they will. I don't want someone bringing home the bacon, I want the bacon supply shut off, for everyone. I want Washington to leave us alone. I think Angle is an outsider to the Republican machine and that is a good thing. Just like Ron and Rand Paul.
Well said, big guy.

I also give some credence to her being the Tea Party choice; gotta assume they did a lot more in-depth looking than ordinary voters

Gordie

imported post

I'm just saying that there are other pro-gun candidates out there. People who have not voted for deficit spending, proposed sending prisoners with drug problems to a Church ofScientology rehab center in Mexico,or stabbed their own people in the back to advance their own power.

Felid`Maximus

Activist Member
imported post

By your own account, she stabbed her fellow Republicans in the back because her fellow Republicans wanted to raise taxes whereas she did not. She is a deficit spender because she approved of the budget. Everyone else who approved of the budget was also a deficit spender. Not that I approve of deficit spending.

As for sending prisoners to Mexico, that is about as true as the idea that Sue Lowden wants you to pay your doctors with chickens. (In other words, it isn't true.)

http://www.888news.info/2010/05/28/...gets-hit-for-prison-massages-in-new-ad-video/

In fact, Angle never formally presented a bill, but she did try to gain support for a prison drug rehabilitation program that would involve prisoners quitting drugs cold turkey, with saunas and massages as part of treatment — an idea promoted by the Church of Scientology. Angle also tried to organize a legislative trip to a jail in Mexico that uses this program, and the trip would have been paid for by an individual who is a Scientologist, according to the Sun.

What she really wanted to do was to investigate a cheaper drug rehabilitation system that was being done in Mexico, not send prisoners to Mexico or to the Church of Scientology.

From Sharon Angle's website http://www.sharronangle.com/faq.html :

Q: Did Sharron Angle vote for the 1999, 2001, 2003, and 2005 budgets?
A: Yes. Sharron Angle does not vote “no” on budgets that fund schools, highways and other government services just to make a point that these budgets are overspending. There is no mechanism in state law to permit the refunding of excess funds in government. That is why Sharron Angle has voted against tax and fee increases over 100 times and proposed spending controls such as the Taxpayer Bill of Rights. In 2005 the excess funds from Nevada’s largest tax increase in 2003 were refunded to taxpayers as a $300 check. Sharron Angle voted for this bill but also introduced her own bill to allow for a refund on the motor vehicle privilege tax which would have saved the cost of sending checks.

Q: Does Sharron Angle follow the teachings of Scientology? Does Sharron Angle promote the teaching of Scientology in Prison?
A: No.

Q: What is Sharron Angle’s interest in prisons and prison programs?
A: While living in Winnemucca, Sharron Angle and her husband Ted participated in prison ministry at Humboldt Honor Camp. Sharron became interested in the rehabilitation of prisoners who were not sentenced to life imprisonment and was concerned about the revolving door of recidivism (substance abuse relapse, reoffend and return to prison).

During her legislative career, Sharron Angle introduced two bills dealing with prison inmate literacy.

She also sponsored a fact-finding trip in 2003 with Nevada Director of Prisons, Jacque Crawford, for legislators on a non-legislative Saturday privately funded by Russell Suggs, part owner of the Arizona Diamondbacks, to look at a program, Second Chance, that claimed to have a recidivism rate among prisoners with drug and alcohol abuse related crimes of less than 10%. The program had the potential of saving Nevadan taxpayers millions of dollars and was especially important since Nevada was facing a revenue shortfall in 2003 and legislative solutions included the largest tax increase in Nevada history.

Although Sharron requested a Bill by the December deadline in the event Nevada legislators saw merit in the program and desired to implement it, the bill was not drafted, Sharron did not introduce the bill and canceled the trip. No further action was taken.

Q: Did the program give massages and saunas to the prisoners?
A: The detoxification protocols of the program were attributed to L. Ron Hubbard. These same protocols have been used by Narconon in the private sector at a cost of $15,000 per person seeking treatment. The cost per prison inmate was drastically cut because of the group nature of the treatment in prison. The detoxification process requires complete withdrawal from the drug without the use of Methadone or any other medication relief of the extreme muscle cramping that occurs. The non-narcotic relief from these symptoms is provided by striking the muscle to release the cramp. To eliminate the drug cravings, raised metabolic rate combined with induced sweating through dry heat and massive doses of vitamins and minerals are required. This therapy is repeated daily until the body fluids are clear.

Sharron Angle may not be perfect, but the smears against her are misleading.