• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Want to Buy a Handgun

twindarkn355

imported post

Hey guys, since Im new and everything, i want to know your input. I want to buy a handgun, a powerful one, but not too powerful, i just want a good one. Anything under 600 dollars would be good. Do you know whats a very good brand, i want to buy online since its cheaper. can you let me know whats a good site.

i really appreciate your time guys, thank you!!!!!

ps: this will be my 1st gun :)and i live in SOCAL

ecocks

imported post

IMO:

Powerful enough, but not too powerful = 9mm or .40

Even in Southern Caliyou should have ranges and gun stores in your area which can provide assistance.

My advice is to go to a gun store which also has an indoor range and sign up for a basic course where you can use both a .40 and a 9. That should run about $60 to $100. Afterward, tell them you want to spend $500 on your first handgun and see what they recommend. If there is a Cabela's, Gander Mountain or Sportsmen's Warehouse in your area they will happily take time to explain various options within your price rangefrom their inventories.

For that money, my list includes, Bersa, S&W, Taurus, RugerandCZ as brands which are reputable and enjoy a good following. Remember to invest in more training, a comfortable holsteranda supply of ammunition.

Regardless of what WE think though, you should heft them, sight with them and have the clerks explain operation, magazines and cleaning to you. You have to be comfortable with the choice, we cannot make it for you.

Buying online won't help much since you'll have to pay transfer fees to process the sale through a dealer in your state (probably in your town or city). The dealer you process through will add their fee for running your background check and filing paperwork.

Best of luck and welcome to shooting!

ingramdr

imported post

:celebrate
The first thing you need to do is take a firearm safety class. Then you need to go to an indoor gun range and shoot various makes and models to see which on you feel comfortable with.Once you purchase a firearm, then you need to get a state approved locking device or gun safe to keep it locked up in. It is a big responsibility to own and carry a firearm. Just make sure you get plenty of range time to practice and have fun shooting.

Broondog

imported post

ecocks said it well.

go to your local shop and try a few different firearms on for size and see what fits you. i may say get a Glock but in reality a Sig or a CZ or a Steyr may fit you better (BTW, i own all of these).

would you walk into a shoe store and just grab a pair and buy them without trying them on? i think not. it's the same with a handgun.

TyNV

imported post

I just got a Smith and Wesson M&P40.
I'm in love with it! Very good gun!
final price was $648, Thats with background check and everything (got it online)
The gun it self was $570.

erichonda30

Banned
imported post

twindarkn355 wrote:
Hey guys, since Im new and everything, i want to know your input. I want to buy a handgun, a powerful one, but not too powerful, i just want a good one. Anything under 600 dollars would be good. Do you know whats a very good brand, i want to buy online since its cheaper. can you let me know whats a good site.

i really appreciate your time guys, thank you!!!!!

ps: this will be my 1st gun :)and i live in SOCAL
you will shoot your eye out kid

Don Barnett

imported post

I am partial to revolvers; they are reliable, not prone to jamming, have no safeties to contend with and are easy to shoot and clean.

In my opinion, the best one out there is the Ruger GP 100 (.357 Magnum). If you want to carry it, a 4" model would be best. Ruger builds a solid handgun that can withstand lots of high power shooting. I own one with a 6" barrel and LOVE it.

What is nice about the .357 Magnum is that you can also shoot .38 Specials in the same gun and the recoil is not much more than a .22.

Enjoy selecting your handgun and welcome to the world of shooting.

ecocks

imported post

The S&W purchase mentioned above is a good example of not really saving any money by purchasing online. Using my state as an example, there are 6 models of the S&W M&P (9 and 40, compact or regular andbi-tone or black)which sell for $569.99 at the local Cabela's. Add 6% sales tax and that's aother $34.20 equaling $604.19.

Great gun BTW - the compact is a pretty decent carry.

Buy local for your first gun. It's handy to have someone local to chat up about your new hobby. Buying from a place with a range is even better. Most will meet the price if you ask or you can be a real shark and negotiate some free range time in return for slightly higher prices.

Have fun and enjoy!

MSC 45ACP

imported post

rugerdon wrote:
I am partial to revolvers; they are reliable, not prone to jamming, have no safeties to contend with and are easy to shoot and clean.

What is nice about the .357 Magnum is that you can also shoot .38 Specials in the same gun and the recoil is not much more than a .22.
The passage highlighted in RED above is complete BULLCHIPS. Whomever thinks the recoil of a .357 Magnum isn't much more than a .22 is not living on this planet, nor do they have any experience shooting either one...

I also recommend a revolver for a first pistol and a .357 is a good choice. You can practice with .38 rounds and keep .357 or .38 +P self-defense rounds for protection. You won't notice the difference in recoil when the adreneline is pumping and the SHTF.

I also like revolvers because of their simplicity: As outlined above, you don't have to mess with a safety, chambering a round, or changing magazines. S&W is the ORIGINAL Point and Click Interface...

Since you live in Commieforina where you can't carry a loaded pistol, you CAN carry magazines or speedloaders seperately from the weapon. You can probably learn to load a "6-pack" of rounds from a speedloader as fast as someone can load a magazine into a semi-auto.

Along with previous posts:
1. Take a firearms safety course
2. Take a basic marksmanship course
3. Test fire different pistols in your price range. It doesn't make any sense to fall in love with a $1200 Kimber if you can only afford a KelTec P3AT.
4. PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE...

Take these courses from a reputable dealer with NRA-certified instructors or from a military-trained Small Arms Instructor. Cousin Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob may own a dozen weapons and be able to "talk the talk", but he may not be the bestteacher for themost recentstate and federal laws on OC, CC and "rules of engagement". The same goes for Joe Policeman that lives down the street. Your average LEO doesn't know all the laws (even though he should know most of them). Some are actually flat out WRONG (as you will read in these pages).

We don't bash LE on OCDO, but you will see "Cite" your references in any post that discusses laws. Most LEO's are honest, hard working folks that do a wonderful job. My local Sheriff is one of them. A few "LEOs" that post on here give the good ones a bad name and are more FOS than a ChristmasTurkey and not to be trusted. I won't name names. You can find them yourself.

Don Barnett

imported post

To MSC 45ACP and others: I did NOT imply that the recoil of a .357 round is like a .22. If you read my statement,I impliedthat when shooting a .38 Special in a .357 Magnum revolver, the recoil is very light (not much more that a .22). This is why a .357 Magnum is a good all around gun.

I reload my own bullets so that I can have a .357 Magnum round that is lighter on the recoil than factory ammo...it makes it more pleasant to shoot.

...and, I have owned and shot .357 Magnum revolvers since I bought a Smith and Wesson Model 19 in 1968. I own four.357 Magnum revolvers nowandI carry a Smith and Wesson Model 686. I also own a few .22s (Rugers, of course).

I consider the .357 Magnum to be one of the best all purpose calibers around.

The other "best" all purpose caliber, in my opinion,is the .44 Magnum. A bit heavy, one can use .44 Specials as a self-defense round.

Twindarkn355 may want to consider the Ruger Redhawk in .44 Magnum. I saw one used for $550 at the local gun store.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

rugerdon:

Please accept my profound apologies for misunderstanding your statement. It was difficult to understand your meaning the way it was worded. Many of us are far better shooters than we are wordsmiths.Misunderstandings happen when you put a bunch of us togetherin cyberspaceandexpect us to communicatewithout hand gestures, pictures and arrows.

I agree the .357 is an outstanding round. I got a Model 19 in 1983 and gave it to my dad for his birthday. he still has it and its a tack-driver. The only S&W semi-autos I've had any use for were the Mod 41 and the Mod 52. I think the trigger jobs on the rest feel like a gravel pit.

I think what the new guy needs most is a "friend" that can take him under his wing, introduce him to several different pistols and teach him SAFETY FIRST. After getting the basics (and the advanced stuff) down, he will also need to learn "OC Etiquette" before he runs around town "strapped". So many young folks these days lack the manners you and I were brought up with and take for granted. One sad example of a youngster running around with a chip on his shoulder until he "tripped off the line" was a young man in the south named Anthony. You can do a search for his posts (and tragic saga of bad decisions). His s/n was "Anty506" I think.

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=14901&forum_id=26&jump_to=277745#p277745

After this incident, he was involved in what the newspapers say was a "drug deal gone bad". He was charged with murder. Immaturity and OC can be a dangerous combination when you go around with a chip on your shoulder. I don't know if he is still in jail, but the last time I heard anything about the case, he was. The whole thing is a sad story and not the best example of OCers.

Don Barnett

imported post

Your apologies are accepted. Usually, I am an excellent writer but I can see my statement did not lead one to see my implication; and yes, it is true that part of effective communication is to watch non-verbal cues and voice inflections, which are missing on internet forums.

Just for the fun of it, I carried my 6" Ruger GP 100 when I drove my granddaughter to school. I have a beautiful Galco holster for it and I just bought a new Galco belt;both are tan. Since we have been talking about the GP 100, I just couldn't resist.

It is a big rig and would be difficult to get used to; butI understand thatmost Highway Patrolmen carried a 6".357 Magnum when the cartridge was introduced in the 1950's.

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

twindarkn355 wrote:
Hey guys, since Im new and everything, i want to know your input. I want to buy a handgun, a powerful one, but not too powerful, i just want a good one. Anything under 600 dollars would be good. Do you know whats a very good brand

A Ruger SR9 or a SR9C would fit the bill just fine. Reliable & very affordable. I own the original SR9 & carry it regularly. Depending on where you buy, I've seen them anywhere from $419-$499 in local gun stores here in NC.

PS - No, I don't work for Ruger. Although I do own two of their handguns, I also own a Glock & a Kimber.

Broondog

imported post

directed at rugerdon and MSC 45ACP.....

just for the record a .357 shooting .38spl wad cutters can be like shooting a .22. i recently scored some older .38spl wad cutters from a friend and ran them thru my S&W Mdl 28. they had a cute little "snap" to them but were very light, right on par with shooting my Sig Mosquito.

i actually pulled the bullet (148gr) on one and the charge weighed barely 3 grains. interestingly enough the round did just as much damage to a chunk of firewood as a 165gr .40S&W HP with 6.5gr of WSF behind it.

i know it's trivial info but what the hey?

BTW rugerdon, i got what you meant on the first read. :)

Don Barnett

imported post

Thanks. I did not think I had any "misplaced modifiers", like my last post on another thread.

I reload and put 3 grains of "Bullseye" behind the 148 Grain Wadcutter in a .38 Special. It is a real light, accurate load.

After shooting a lot of "hot" .357 Magnum loads and then switching to .38 Specials, it can seem to be like shooting a .22. You expect a big bang and flash, but all you get is a little pop. It is a perception based on the relative recoils.

The same can be said of shooting .44 Specials in a gun chambered for .44 Magnum.

This is why I believe that the two most useful, all around guns are those chambered for the .357 Magnum and .44 Magnum calibers.

But that is just my opinion and I am kind of old fashioned. I never have gotten into the "new and improved" calibers; I have nothing against them but I kind of stick to what has worked for me.

One of the reasons I like revolvers is that I reload and after the shooting is over, I don't have to scrounge around on the floor picking up brass.

I wish the young man who initiated this tread all the best, and may he have fun choosing his first gun. He will have to sift througha lot of advice.

Don Barnett

imported post

After reading and posting on this thread, I got inspired to open carrymy Ruger GP100.I usually carry a Smith and Wesson 686 with a3" barrel.

When I bought the GP100, I also bought a tan Galco holster, but the gun has a 6" barrel and is heavy and bulky to carry. Thus I never carried it much,so the holster still has that new leather smell and look.

Last week I bought a new Galco belt, 2" larger because I have put on weight. This is also tan.

Now, I am not usually into fashion and dressing good, but with the grips that Ruger used to supply with the GP100, those rubber ones with the wood inserts, this rig looked GOOD! So good that I was thinking of trading the Smith in on a new GP100 with 4" barrel.

But then on Ruger's website, I see that the GP100 is now supplied with the "ugly" black Hogue grips; very functional, but "ugly".

Alas, things are not what they used to be.

What ever happened to those wood grips that Smith and Wesson usedto provide on their guns? They were made of some kind of exotic African wood and really looked sharp!

Cavalryman

Campaign Veteran
imported post

If I could have only one handgun, it would be a .357 magnum revolver in a medium frame (S&W K or L, Ruger, or similar) with a 4" barrel. It is large enough to be easily managed in controlled fire but still compact enough to carry concealed should the occasion arise. The range of ammunition available for it is truly mind-boggling -- all the way from tiny snake shot up to stuff that would give you a fighting chance against a black bear. Revolvers are often easier to learn to use because the drill for a misfire simply involves squeezing the trigger again, whereas semi-autos are considerably more complicated to get back into action. Some consider the 6 shot capacity of most revolvers to be a limiting factor, but if you become proficient enough to reliably hit your target, 6 will do the job in any realistic scenario. Plus, in California you are limited to 10 rounds capacity which reduces the advantage of hi-cap semis somewhat. Good used .357 magnum revolvers can readily be found in your price range. Like a good saddle, a good handgun actually gets better with use so long as it isn't abused.

The Wolfhound

imported post

See if you can find a range with rentals. Try before you buy. If ongoing budget issues are in your future, go 9MM. Much cheaper to practice with and there are many choices in your price range.