• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry during heavy precipitation

richarcm

imported post

I've had this argument with a friend of mine. I can't say for a fact that it is true but I thought I read somewhere or heard someone suggest that during times of heavy precipitation (such as yesterday) that there is something in the law that allows for people without conceal permits to temporarily conceal their guns to shield it from the elements.

Is that incorrect?

I have a CHP so it doesn't matter much personally. But I would like to be able to suggest to those who do not accurately.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Not exactly.....

§ 18.2-308. Personal protection; carrying concealed weapons; when lawful to carry.

A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver, or other weapon designed or intended to propel a missile of any kind by action of an explosion of any combustible material; (ii) any dirk, bowie knife, switchblade knife, ballistic knife, machete, razor, slingshot, spring stick, metal knucks, or blackjack; (iii) any flailing instrument consisting of two or more rigid parts connected in such a manner as to allow them to swing freely, which may be known as a nun chahka, nun chuck, nunchaku, shuriken, or fighting chain; (iv) any disc, of whatever configuration, having at least two points or pointed blades which is designed to be thrown or propelled and which may be known as a throwing star or oriental dart; or (v) any weapon of like kind as those enumerated in this subsection, he shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. A second violation of this section or a conviction under this section subsequent to any conviction under any substantially similar ordinance of any county, city, or town shall be punishable as a Class 6 felony, and a third or subsequent such violation shall be punishable as a Class 5 felony. For the purpose of this section, a weapon shall be deemed to be hidden from common observation when it is observable but is of such deceptive appearance as to disguise the weapon's true nature.

B. This section shall not apply to any person while in his own place of abode or the curtilage thereof.

Except as provided in subsection J1, this section shall not apply to:

1. Any person while in his own place of business;

2. Any law-enforcement officer, wherever such law-enforcement officer may travel in the Commonwealth;

3. Any regularly enrolled member of a target shooting organization who is at, or going to or from, an established shooting range, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

4. Any regularly enrolled member of a weapons collecting organization who is at, or going to or from, a bona fide weapons exhibition, provided that the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

5. Any person carrying such weapons between his place of abode and a place of purchase or repair, provided the weapons are unloaded and securely wrapped while being transported;

6. Any person actually engaged in lawful hunting, as authorized by the Board of Game and Inland Fisheries, under inclement weather conditions necessitating temporary protection of his firearm from those conditions, provided that possession of a handgun while engaged in lawful hunting shall not be construed as hunting with a handgun if the person hunting is carrying a valid concealed handgun permit;

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

Curtis wrote:
Clear plastic Ziploc :p
Actually, that works very well Curtis. Looks kinda geeky , but keeps your gun dry adn it could be fired in an emergency.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

I don't mind an excuse to wipe down the Kimber every time I get home and unholster. Putting a plastic bag over the Kimber in a Serpa would most certainly hinder my ability to draw and shoot when seconds make a difference.

I've been "OCing" pistols for 27 years and have never covered my pistol with a plastic bag. I have spent many hours cleaning them after total salt water IMMERSION, though. A little fresh water on my pistol isn't going to hurt it.

Pagan

imported post

Remove the ammo and put the gun and mags in the dryer on a shoe rack, will be dry in no time, inside and out, or also in the oven at 215 degrees F, hot enough to evaporate the water, but not hot enough to hurt any thing, I have done both of these things, and they work well.

curtiswr

imported post

Pagan wrote:
 Remove the ammo and put the gun and mags in the dryer on a shoe rack, will be dry in no time, inside and out, or also in the oven at 215 degrees F, hot enough to evaporate the water, but not hot enough to hurt any thing, I have done both of these things, and they work well.

Queue the melted Glock jokes. :p

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
imported post

Curtis wrote:
Pagan wrote:

Queue the melted Glock jokes. :p
My Glock doesnt melt in the dishwasher, why would the oven hurt it? :)

ElevenBravo

imported post

My Glock doesnt mind water. A few years ago when I used to have a G22 I took it deer hunting. I sat on the stand for two days (no, I didnt get anything), it rained the entire time.

The last day as we were leaving I decided to target practice on a can near the car, fired it up a few rounds. Dirt, water and leaves flew off and out of the Glock, the can flipped into the air! The second shot, not so cool, all the junk and dirt was gone. When I got home, I stripped it down and washed it in the kitchen sink. I shook it dry, re-assembled it without lube and put it away.

Glock aint no joke, thats why when I got in better $$$ shape, I got another to carry. I trust my life to it.

HORAH
Andrew