• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Professional Traffic Stop in York County

MSC 45ACP

imported post

A couple days after the first of the month, my spousal unit reminded me that my vehicle registration had expired and that I should go to DMV and renew it ASAP. I looked at the VA DMV web site and found out that you are PENALIZED $5 if you go IN PERSON to a DMV to renew your tags, but not if you did it online. Only $1 surcharge for doing it online... So I did.

About 2 hours after I did this and placed the online receipt in my glove box, I left the house to pick my kids up from school. I pulled out of my side street onto a road with a posted 45 MPH limit but a "Safety" diamond sign near my street recommends 35 MPH. I choose to go 35 because of the winding road and thenumber of wild animals that commit suicide in that area. Not long after I got on the road, another vehicle was rapidly approaching me from behind. This isn't unusual as most folks prefer to go at least 45 on this road. I thought nothing of the vehicle behind me less than a car length away until I got to the traffic light. I looked in my rear-view and concluded it was most certainly an LE vehicle. As soon as the signal turned green, the whole front of the vehicle lit up. I put my right turn signal on to signal my intentions to pull over at the next safe place. I stopped, put my vehilce in park and turned the ignition off. That does reassure the LEO, right?

I placed my hands at "10 and 2". I already had my windows down. The very professional York County Deputy asked if I knew why I had been stopped. I told him it was probably because my registration had expired and I had just renewed it online. I also informed him I had a CHP and I was armed. He said "Thank you" and asked to see my recently printed registration renewal. He asked if he could see my license and registration. I asked to get my license out of my wallet and provided my license & CHP, then asked to open the glove box to get the registration. About that time, I noticed his backup was standing near my right rear quarter panel. I didn't even see her pull up or notice she was present until I went to my glove box.

The Deputy laughed and said I really had just gotten it off the printer and then informed me I had a brake light out. I was suprised at this (How many of us know when a rear brake light goes out?) and told him so. He thought it was the right side and asked me to hit the brake pedal. He asked his partner to confirm which light was out and she did. I tild him I would stop at the auto parts store and get a new light that day (which I did after picking the kids up from school).

I had a very pleasant experience with one (Two, really)of Sheriff Diggs' Deputies. they continue to be the most professional group of LEO's I've ever dealt with.

Bravo Zulu!

ed

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA
imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
A couple days after the first of the month, my spousal unit reminded me that my vehicle registration had expired and that I should go to DMV and renew it ASAP. I looked at the VA DMV web site and found out that you are PENALIZED $5 if you go IN PERSON to a DMV to renew your tags, but not if you did it online. Only $1 surcharge for doing it online... So I did.

About 2 hours after I did this and placed the online receipt in my glove box, I left the house to pick my kids up from school. I pulled out of my side street onto a road with a posted 45 MPH limit but a "Safety" diamond sign near my street recommends 35 MPH. I choose to go 35 because of the winding road and thenumber of wild animals that commit suicide in that area. Not long after I got on the road, another vehicle was rapidly approaching me from behind. This isn't unusual as most folks prefer to go at least 45 on this road. I thought nothing of the vehicle behind me less than a car length away until I got to the traffic light. I looked in my rear-view and concluded it was most certainly an LE vehicle. As soon as the signal turned green, the whole front of the vehicle lit up. I put my right turn signal on to signal my intentions to pull over at the next safe place. I stopped, put my vehilce in park and turned the ignition off. That does reassure the LEO, right?

I placed my hands at "10 and 2". I already had my windows down. The very professional York County Deputy asked if I knew why I had been stopped. I told him it was probably because my registration had expired and I had just renewed it online. I also informed him I had a CHP and I was armed. He said "Thank you" and asked to see my recently printed registration renewal. He asked if he could see my license and registration. I asked to get my license out of my wallet and provided my license & CHP, then asked to open the glove box to get the registration. About that time, I noticed his backup was standing near my right rear quarter panel. I didn't even see her pull up or notice she was present until I went to my glove box.

The Deputy laughed and said I really had just gotten it off the printer and then informed me I had a brake light out. I was suprised at this (How many of us know when a rear brake light goes out?) and told him so. He thought it was the right side and asked me to hit the brake pedal. He asked his partner to confirm which light was out and she did. I tild him I would stop at the auto parts store and get a new light that day (which I did after picking the kids up from school).

I had a very pleasant experience with one (Two, really)of Sheriff Diggs' Deputies. they continue to be the most professional group of LEO's I've ever dealt with.

Bravo Zulu!
Nice story.. I would suggest you put your comments on real wood pulp and sent it off to the departmetn for their file. (I did the same: http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=15162&forum_id=54 )

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

My experience with The Yorktown SD goes back well beyond this Sheriff. Some have disagreed with me, but I have found them to be one of the very best departments in the state.

The current Sheriff seems to have taken a very clean department and given it a wax job. Looking at some counties like Hanover, that deliberately create a us against them atmosphere, Yorktown is a breath of fresh air.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
imported post

Some years ago, there was a big move afoot in York County to set up a "real" Police Dep't for the rapidly expanding county and its "needs". The citizens rejected that handily, as we have always been well pleased with the effectiveness and professionalism of the Sheriff's Dep't and saw no "need" to fix what wasn't broken. I imagine we saved a bunch of money in the process.

Keep up the good work, Sheriff Diggs and company!

riverrat10k

imported post

Have seen a number of threads stating good things about the York Cnty SD in regards to OC and firearms in general. Do those of you who live there think there is any correlationbecause ofthe number of current and former military and LEO in the area , or is it just , as Dutch says, a really professional Sherrif?

apollosmom

imported post

I'm not a YC resident, but I do cross the Coleman Bridge daily. I met Sheriff Diggs and his lovely bride the night of the County Grill evening with Philip and Rep. Rob Wittman. Surprisingly, Sheriff Diggs sat on our side of the table and was very pleasant to speak with. I think he helped convince Ashley, the DP reporter, that we were truly "an armed society is a polite society"...anyhow, it was enjoyable to talk with him, even when we "dis-cussed" the role of the NRA in Virginia. Thanks Sheriff Diggs for a professional department! It is a pleasure for us to travel the highways of York County!

PT111

imported post

You quite often see people riding around with a brake light or some other light on their vechicle out and usually they have no ideal. An easy way yo check your lights is by reflection. Sometime when I pull up behind a car at a stop light I can see the reflection of my lights in their shiny car. I look to see if my lights are working. The other day I stopped at a convenience store and as I was starting to leave I saw the reflection of my car in the store window. Right then I checked my signal lights, headlights and all front lights.

The rear lights are a little more trouble but if someone pulls up behind you at a stop light you can at least see ifyour brake lights work by taking your foot off and onthe brakes. If you get the right view of the car in your mirror you can check individual lights. I know this isn't gun related but if someone hits you because you didn't have your lights on you may need your gun before it is over. :cuss:

MSC 45ACP

imported post

2a4all wrote:
Sherif Diggs is the counterpoint to today's (6/8/2010) editorial.

"Big job, little oversight
Most sheriffs do admirable work, but this is not a job best chosen by election"
http://www.dailypress.com/news/opinion/dp-edt-sheriffs-editorial-20100607,0,2088062.story

I expect that the D/P will get blasted by the good folks of YC.
I TRIED TO SUBMIT MY COMMENTS BUT THE COMMUNIST WEBSITE WOULDN'T ACCEPT MY ENTRY. It kept rejecting my word verification code.

wylde007

imported post

Same problem here. :cuss:

I guess they don't want to be reminded that this hit piece deliberately and onerously rejects Constitutional rule of law and the civil authority as elected being supreme to the hired and appointed law enforcers who serve a different agenda altogether.

MSC 45ACP

imported post

Yeah, GREAT idea... have one politician APPOINTa crony to the position so they don't answer to the PEOPLE, they only answer to the ONE that appointed them!

That's working out really well in Crime Central, isn't it? All those "Czars" with a lot of authority answerable to NO ONE but the ANNOINTED One?

If you don't like the one you elected, then you do a recall election. Throw the BUM out like the city of Portsmouth is doing with the criminal they keep re-electing. Mayor Holley should have been gone a LONG time ago.

simmonsjoe

imported post

Dutch Uncle wrote:
Some years ago, there was a big move afoot in York County to set up a "real" Police Dep't for the rapidly expanding county and its "needs".  The citizens rejected that handily, as we have always been well pleased with the effectiveness and professionalism of the Sheriff's Dep't and saw no "need" to fix what wasn't broken.  I imagine we saved a bunch of money in the process.

Keep up the good work, Sheriff Diggs and company!

Police departments are fundamentally flawed. The popularly elected Sheriff is/should be top cop in a county, period.