Thread: anyone else get an email from gene?

Post imported post

like the topic says, anyone else get that email?

Post imported post

Not me, anything we should be aware of ?
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

This is what I found on WA-CCW on Yahoo Groups.

Seems a scammer has accessed some of his information and portraying this scam as him.

Hello, I am sorry to have been writing you instead of calling you for an urgent assistance which i am about asking ,this is due to my current situation and i do not have access to a phone,this has left me in no choice than to write and i would be happy if you could treat this as urgent.. I am only chanced to get a computer at a nearby public library here in Wales. I am currently here in Wales,United Kingdom With Cindy on a short visit,it was fun but unfortunately something terrifying happened last night.....I never knew they uses gun in UK.. I got mugged and robbed on my way to the hotel i was deprived of everything i had on me, cash and credit card,it was such a crazy experience... I have been to the nearby police but they promised to investigate the matter and i have been to the embassy as well to make a report on the matter and they promised to see to it but i would need to get them police report on the matter.. Right now i need some money to clear our bill with the hotel and also i would be needing some money to get our flying ticket back home,thank GOD they never made it away with my passport ,it would have been a different case by now. Well,i am requesting for a quick loan from you and promise to repay you as soon as i return home, all i need is 1780.00 pounds i would like to know if i would get this from you. Gene -- "A right delayed is a right denied." -- Martin Luther King Jr. من بازدهی !
    • Being prepared is to prepare, this is our responsibility.
    • I am not your Mommy or Daddy and do not sugar coat it but I will tell you simply as how I see it, it is up to you on how you will or will not use it.
    • IANAL, all information I present is for your review, do your own homework.

Post imported post

I feel sorry for anyone if they actually fell for that garbage.

Post imported post

Wow - sorry to hear, i hope it gets sorted out.

- I always figure those kind of e-mails are scams, the cheesy situationals and bad English usually give it away, to me at least.

-My favorite isone i get from the"FBI" thats got horrible grammarwho's a contact point in Kenya - --- Riiiiight....

Those guys suck.

~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Post imported post

It is spamuncoolperson wrote:
    It is spam and his computer has been hacked by a virus. I got one of these from a friend who I knew had plenty of money and would never have an issue even if she were stuck in the UK.

Post imported post

heresolong wrote:
    It is spamuncoolperson wrote:
    It is spam and his computer has been hacked by a virus. I got one of these from a friend who I knew had plenty of money and would never have an issue even if she were stuck in the UK.
    SpyBot Search & Destroy is a free and easy to use program that will rid ones computer of spyware/malware, and all sorts of other nasty things. It can be downloaded here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Post imported post

SpyBot Search & Destroy is a free and easy to use program that will rid ones computer of spyware/malware, and all sorts of other nasty things. It can be downloaded here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html
    Don't forget about MalwareBytes. The free version makes you update it every time you use it. Other than that its the same as the paid version.
    http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyte...-10804572.html

Post imported post

A wise and frugal Government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government.- Thomas Jefferson March 4 1801

Post imported post

In a lot of cases, if you have trojans or some kind of mal ware, you'll have to boot up in safe mode in order to run the destroy programs.

Post imported post

I was thinking scam too... that's why I posted here.

grammar/wording seemed off, behavior didn't sound right (not replacing credit card, not having a plan, no return ticket?), though the name (cindy) seemed right from a quick google search.

Post imported post

"I never knew they uses gun in UK"

I don't think anyone related to this board would say this without saying something like "This mugger gets to have a gun, but i have stay in this foggy totalitarian country without mine."

Another thing that makes me go Hmmm. "I am sorry to have been writing you instead of calling you for an urgent assistance which i am about asking "

I suspect whoever wrote this isn't a native english speaker.

Post imported post

scam

Post imported post

nofoa wrote:
    "Another thing that makes me go Hmmm. "I am sorry to have been writing you instead of calling you for an urgent assistance which i am about asking "

I suspect whoever wrote this isn't a native english speaker.

I was thinking that, but in a hurry/freaking out I tend to write (even more) poorly.

Post imported post

Somebody hacked my old email, and sent a message to all my friends statingpretty much the same thing. My friends were calling me, and asking if I was ok. Figured it out right quick, and let everyone know. I really hate thieves.

Regular Member trevorthebusdriver's Avatar

Post imported post

LOL! I got one. Total scam.

Post imported post

I love the ones on CL or ebay, you get an email from a guy stating he will buy your item for 100 or more than your asking. BUT hes in a different country, will send you an cashiers check for alot and ask you send him the change back ......right.....

Post imported post

centermass wrote:
    I love the ones on CL or ebay, you get an email from a guy stating he will buy your item for 100 or more than your asking. BUT hes in a different country, will send you an cashiers check for alot and ask you send him the change back ......right.....
    I was supposed to send change?

Post imported post

centermass wrote:
    I use to get those ALL the time. Especially when I was selling something rather expensive. I liked how the person would always refer to my merchandise as "the item" rather than what it specifically was.

Last year, I had a gold plated Diamond watch that I was asking $3,000 for (easily worth $5,000), and this "guy" (or bot), was offering me $3,500 and was offering to pay shipping. I'm not really sure what the idea behind the scam is. Maybe get me to send the product out before he sends the money out?

Post imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
    centermass wrote:
    I use to get those ALL the time. Especially when I was selling something rather expensive. I liked how the person would always refer to my merchandise as "the item" rather than what it specifically was.

Last year, I had a gold plated Diamond watch that I was asking $3,000 for (easily worth $5,000), and this "guy" (or bot), was offering me $3,500 and was offering to pay shipping. I'm not really sure what the idea behind the scam is. Maybe get me to send the product out before he sends the money out?
    That or maybe a fake check/money order hoping youll send "the item" before you or the bank finds out its fake.