• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

anyone else get an email from gene?

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
imported post

This is what I found on WA-CCW on Yahoo Groups.

Seems a scammer has accessed some of his information and portraying this scam as him.

Hello, I am sorry to have been writing you instead of calling you for an urgent assistance which i am about asking ,this is due to my current situation and i do not have access to a phone,this has left me in no choice than to write and i would be happy if you could treat this as urgent.. I am only chanced to get a computer at a nearby public library here in Wales. I am currently here in Wales,United Kingdom With Cindy on a short visit,it was fun but unfortunately something terrifying happened last night.....I never knew they uses gun in UK.. I got mugged and robbed on my way to the hotel i was deprived of everything i had on me, cash and credit card,it was such a crazy experience... I have been to the nearby police but they promised to investigate the matter and i have been to the embassy as well to make a report on the matter and they promised to see to it but i would need to get them police report on the matter.. Right now i need some money to clear our bill with the hotel and also i would be needing some money to get our flying ticket back home,thank GOD they never made it away with my passport ,it would have been a different case by now. Well,i am requesting for a quick loan from you and promise to repay you as soon as i return home, all i need is 1780.00 pounds i would like to know if i would get this from you. Gene -- "A right delayed is a right denied." -- Martin Luther King Jr. من بازدهی !

Batousaii

imported post

Wow - sorry to hear, i hope it gets sorted out.

- I always figure those kind of e-mails are scams, the cheesy situationals and bad English usually give it away, to me at least.

-My favorite isone i get from the"FBI" thats got horrible grammarwho's a contact point in Kenya - --- Riiiiight....

:uhoh:Those guys suck.

heresolong

imported post

It is spamuncoolperson wrote:
like the topic says, anyone else get that email?
It is spam and his computer has been hacked by a virus. I got one of these from a friend who I knew had plenty of money and would never have an issue even if she were stuck in the UK.

END_THE_FED

imported post

heresolong wrote:
It is spamuncoolperson wrote:
like the topic says, anyone else get that email?
It is spam and his computer has been hacked by a virus. I got one of these from a friend who I knew had plenty of money and would never have an issue even if she were stuck in the UK.
SpyBot Search & Destroy is a free and easy to use program that will rid ones computer of spyware/malware, and all sorts of other nasty things. It can be downloaded here http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Bill Starks

State Researcher

Aaron1124

imported post

In a lot of cases, if you have trojans or some kind of mal ware, you'll have to boot up in safe mode in order to run the destroy programs.

uncoolperson

imported post

I was thinking scam too... that's why I posted here.

grammar/wording seemed off, behavior didn't sound right (not replacing credit card, not having a plan, no return ticket?), though the name (cindy) seemed right from a quick google search.

nofoa

imported post

"I never knew they uses gun in UK"

I don't think anyone related to this board would say this without saying something like "This mugger gets to have a gun, but i have stay in this foggy totalitarian country without mine."

Another thing that makes me go Hmmm. "I am sorry to have been writing you instead of calling you for an urgent assistance which i am about asking "

I suspect whoever wrote this isn't a native english speaker.

uncoolperson

imported post

nofoa wrote:
"Another thing that makes me go Hmmm. "I am sorry to have been writing you instead of calling you for an urgent assistance which i am about asking "

I suspect whoever wrote this isn't a native english speaker.

I was thinking that, but in a hurry/freaking out I tend to write (even more) poorly.

Snow Leopard

imported post

Somebody hacked my old email, and sent a message to all my friends statingpretty much the same thing. My friends were calling me, and asking if I was ok. Figured it out right quick, and let everyone know. I really hate thieves.

centermass

imported post

I love the ones on CL or ebay, you get an email from a guy stating he will buy your item for 100 or more than your asking. BUT hes in a different country, will send you an cashiers check for alot and ask you send him the change back ......right.....

uncoolperson

imported post

centermass wrote:
I love the ones on CL or ebay, you get an email from a guy stating he will buy your item for 100 or more than your asking. BUT hes in a different country, will send you an cashiers check for alot and ask you send him the change back ......right.....
I was supposed to send change?

Aaron1124

imported post

centermass wrote:
I use to get those ALL the time. Especially when I was selling something rather expensive. I liked how the person would always refer to my merchandise as "the item" rather than what it specifically was.

Last year, I had a gold plated Diamond watch that I was asking $3,000 for (easily worth $5,000), and this "guy" (or bot), was offering me $3,500 and was offering to pay shipping. I'm not really sure what the idea behind the scam is. Maybe get me to send the product out before he sends the money out?

END_THE_FED

imported post

Aaron1124 wrote:
centermass wrote:
I use to get those ALL the time. Especially when I was selling something rather expensive. I liked how the person would always refer to my merchandise as "the item" rather than what it specifically was.

Last year, I had a gold plated Diamond watch that I was asking $3,000 for (easily worth $5,000), and this "guy" (or bot), was offering me $3,500 and was offering to pay shipping. I'm not really sure what the idea behind the scam is. Maybe get me to send the product out before he sends the money out?
That or maybe a fake check/money order hoping youll send "the item" before you or the bank finds out its fake.