• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

TOP SHOT - History Channel

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

After much hopla, watched the first 45 minutes of TOP SHOT on the History Channel.

Opinion - It was the worst and biggest waste of time that I can recall on anything guns.

The premise is that two teams (eight shooters each) of top shooters are to compete against each other in a competition to see who is the best. Unfortunately, the format is much like other "survivor" type shows that have come and gone - not to my displeasure.

Some "special effects"(say Hollywood), false drama and personal glimpses from a very contrived POV. Some long guns obviously sighted in - first shot hits - others no where close and that is considered a fair contest?

Not what it could've, should've been. Won't watch anymore episodes.

----Dale

buster81

imported post

I tried to watch it as well. A version of the real world with guns. No thanks.

What was with the loser? He shot at a target 30 times without hitting it??? His titlewas "professional shooter" whatever that is.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
imported post

buster81 wrote:
I tried to watch it as well. A version of the real world with guns. No thanks.

What was with the loser? He shot at a target 30 times without hitting it??? His titlewas "professional shooter" whatever that is.
Unsighted in weapon at a small target at 100 yards with iron sights with no way to see the impact of the rounds if off paper.

No complaint made when the other team at least had a rifle that would hit the paper on the first shot.

Was waiting for them to introduce the romantic element - then it could claim soap opera status as well.

Relegated to the trash bin - note worth recording over it.

Yata hey

Marco

imported post

Just finished watching it, what a waste of time.
The premise is good but the execution falls short.

Why wouldn't these people get some dope on the rifles during the practice secession.

The elimination portion should have been the two shooters that didn't cut it, not the other team members that didn't get a chance.

The elimination range is going to be a popularity contest.

First and last time watching.:(

elixin77

imported post

I only caught the last half of it, but it is very reminiscent of survivor and other reality tv shows - do a practice run, do a competition run, remove someone, rinse and repeat. nothing new at all, other then its dealing with guns.

Based on the ads for it that ran in the week before, i was expecting a series of events that would test the skill of the shooter in all areas, not eliminate them one by one survivor style.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

After reading these reviews, I'm glad I missed it because I was watching the BlackhawksCRUSH the Flyers in the Stanley Cup Finals! I was going to DVR it to watch later; but, my wife was recording something else...no way to record 2 different shows and watch a third, at the same time...at least not with the current setup.

zack991

imported post

I have not seen it yet and my DVR is going to record it tonight at 11 when I am at work. From the sounds of it, it maybe the only one I watch and cancel the rest of the recordings.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
imported post

It wasn't that bad. There wasn't any excuse for the guy shooting 30 times at that target only 100 yards away. That was friggen horrible. It was a 1903! You could superglue two toothpicks to that thing, line them up and hit the target within 10 shots. Worst of all is that the first or second shot DID hit the target, just not the center. They saw it and couldn't make adjustments. He proved himself a sucky shot when given the model 700 with telescopic sights.

The kid in the shootoff was good. Only two shots on a 600 yard target, as fast as he was going is not bad at all. I don't know how that other guy even made it onto the show. That Brad guy sucked a$$ too (attitude wise), hopefully he's the next one to go.

In any case, I'm just going to watch it for the same reason I watch Mythbusters; so I can critisize the way they do things most of the time, and learn a little when they actually do something right.

Yard Sale

imported post

MSC 45ACP wrote:
Should I admit to knowing one of the "Competitors"? She has an amazing shooting resume, but I fear doing this show may tarnish her reputation.

Should I admit to knowing several of them? I was shooting with one of them the day the show premiered.

I heard the show was somewhat of a flustercluck and reputations would be tarnished.

So it's Survivor with guns. Armchair commandos are going to sit on their couches and say how they could have done better. Whatever. It's protraying firearms realistically, for competition and recreation, to a large TV audience. I'm not going to complain about that.

If you want to see real, no-BS shooting, watch the match highlights and summaries on Shooting USA. Oh wait, you don't get the Outdoor channel? Never heard of that show? Yeah, much smaller TV audience.