• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can't OC in your car??

sonic

imported post

Why in the world is it illegal to OC while in your vehicle? That's like saying that you can't OC in your own house. Nobody knows you are wearing a gun but you. I am brand new to the world of open carry and trying to make sense of all this. I had no idea that you can't have even a loaded magazine in you vehicle let alone in your gun. I have violated that law a bunch not knowing it is illegal.

Just the other week my dad and I went to the gun range where he isa member and I brought along 4 handguns and about 500 rounds. Before we left to go I went ahead and loaded the 12 magazines I had for the those 4 handguns. Why? Why not. Loading mags is a pain in the butt. You spend more time doing that than you do shooting. Thought I'd have us ready to go a little sooner at the range. I put the loaded mags in my ammo box with the rest of the boxes of ammo and into the trunk it went with the guns too. I've always done this but, I guess not anymore. The reason I've never checked to see if it was legal is because it seems so stupid that it would be illegal. Just my 2 cents.

Brian D.

imported post

Welcome to the site! Feel better after ranting about the vehicle transport thing? No?

Then how's about you join up with Ohioans For Concealed Carry, and/or Buckeye Firearms Association (Ohio's two grassroots gun organizations) and help the rest of us members make the state's firearms laws better?

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

sonic wrote:
Why in the world is it illegal to OC while in your vehicle? That's like saying that you can't OC in your own house. Nobody knows you are wearing a gun but you. I am brand new to the world of open carry and trying to make sense of all this. I had no idea that you can't have even a loaded magazine in you vehicle let alone in your gun. I have violated that law a bunch not knowing it is illegal...
Well, now you're informed AND angry - two good things to be when you learn how stupid the law is. Now all you have to do is be willing to put forth some effort to change things and VOILA - a new activist is born!

FYI, the illegality of loaded magazines thing is a result of a very recent change in the law, so it wasn't always this way. Don't get me started on how it got to be there...

Consider putting your location in your profile - it will help you get together with others in the same geographical area.

Fehrmann69

imported post

The ohio revised code seems to allow you to do what you have been doing in part B of the statute. This part of the law is confusing, as it obviously does not apply to those with a CCWP, so one would presume it applys to those without the CCWP. Here's the link. http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/2923.16

Fehrmann69

imported post

After furthur review it seems that the problem lies with handguns, not long guns. If I had to argue the case in court, I would try to use the Heller decision, that allows an individual the right to posess a loaded handgun in their home, for personal defense. As an unloaded one, would not perform its' intended function. Then tie that to the Castle Doctrine, which extends your right to self defense to your motor vehicle, and present to the jury, that for the weapon to provide the protection, as in your home situation, it would also have to be loaded. Remember, the jury may nullify the law if they determine it to be unjust. If I'm on the jury, you're walking.

Deanimator

imported post

sonic wrote:
Why in the world is it illegal to OC while in your vehicle?
Not only CAN you open carry in a vehicle in Ohio, it used to be REQUIRED.

Of course you have to have an Ohio CHL or recognized equivalent to do so.

Fehrmann69

imported post

Actually, you need no permit to carry open in a vehicle. The weapon must be unloaded, in plain sight and in a holder for the weapon, ie a holster. Sect. 2923.16.C.1 of the Ohio Revised Code.

Deanimator

imported post

Fehrmann69 wrote:
Actually, you need no permit to carry open in a vehicle. The weapon must be unloaded, in plain sight and in a holder for the weapon, ie a holster. Sect. 2923.16.C.1 of the Ohio Revised Code.
Even were that true, since there can be no loaded magazines or speedloaders if you do not have a CHL, that handgun will be COMPLETELY useless for your defense, except as a poorly designed club.

Fehrmann69

imported post

This would be correct, however if a person holds a gun on me I most likely will assume that it is loaded. May save you, may not. You are allowed to have ammo, and there may be time to load the weapon. I, myself would rather have the means to put together some kind of defense, than no means at all.

Deanimator

imported post

Fehrmann69 wrote:
This would be correct, however if a person holds a gun on me I most likely will assume that it is loaded. May save you, may not. You are allowed to have ammo, and there may be time to load the weapon. I, myself would rather have the means to put together some kind of defense, than no means at all.
...OR you could get a CHL and not have to play a weak bluff in a deadly force situation. If somebody calls that bluff, your next option is crying like a girl and begging for your life.

If the choice is meeting a deadly force threat while in your automobile with an impotent threat with an empty gun, or getting a CHL, I'd advise getting a CHL.

You don't HAVE to conceal, even WITH the CHL.

Fehrmann69

imported post

I'm waiting to see what the USSC says about concealed carry, after the Chicago case decision. I may very well get a CCWP at that time. There has been much discussion on this board about how carrying open helps thwart a potential attack, as the criminal will seek out a softer target. It has been shown, that in a great many instances, the mere presence of a gun deters the attack, so I still hold that having the gun, even if unloaded, is better than nothing. By the way, how did you know that I'm not a girl, and what makes you think I cry or beg? The most important point is that our right to bear arms is not to be infringed. Requiring a permit to carry concealed is an infringement.

Deanimator

imported post

Fehrmann69 wrote:
I'm waiting to see what the USSC says about concealed carry, after the Chicago case decision. I may very well get a CCWP at that time. There has been much discussion on this board about how carrying open helps thwart a potential attack, as the criminal will seek out a softer target. It has been shown, that in a great many instances, the mere presence of a gun deters the attack, so I still hold that having the gun, even if unloaded, is better than nothing. By the way, how did you know that I'm not a girl, and what makes you think I cry or beg? The most important point is that our right to bear arms is not to be infringed. Requiring a permit to carry concealed is an infringement.
I should have said "girl without a gun", because all of the females I know who carry, are smart enough not to bluff with an empty gun.

If your openly displayed firearm DOESN'T deter an attack, you'd BETTER have a plan b. You haven't even HINTED at having one. I gave you one, one which *I* wouldn't choose any more than the foolish unloaded and unusable gun plan.

xD.45Service

imported post

I would have to agree.. I wouldn't carry an empty gun

Threatening somebody is one thing but using an empty gun to do it might end up with them producing a loaded one on you.

Fehrmann69

imported post

First of all, I don't make a habit of threatening people with a gun. Second, only a fool would theaten someone with an empty gun. Third, you are all missing the point. The point is that you should not need a CCWP to carry your gun concealed. Do you get the point now? We lose our rights because we let people take them away. If the people demanded the constitution be followed, and held those that violate it accountable, we wouldn't be in the situations we are in. The problem is that too many people only care about rights that they want. I have heard people say that guns don't kill people, people kill people, and turn around and try to prohibit an X rated movie theater from opening in thier town, because of the fear of degenerats arriving. When it is pointed out that theaters don't rape people, people rape people, they just don't get it. Therin lies the problem. If my neighbor is getting his ass kicked, I'm just glad it's not me. I better go hide, before they see me, and come and give me the same. Pretty damn sad, in my opinion.

Brian D.

imported post

You make some valid points in that last post, Fehrmann69--hopefully you take time to share themwithelected officials at the state and federal level.I also hope you belong to organizations such as OFCC and/or BFA to help fight for better firearms rights at the state level, and also NRA, GOA, SAF, etc. toassist with the national effort.

Fehrmann69

imported post

I belong to the NRA, and it is unfortunate that they are getting hammered for the supposed 'deal' they cut to protect only thier first ammendment rights. Over the years they have done a very good job, preventing losses in our second ammendment rights. I have been a member for more years than I can remember, but I don't become a life member, as I think having a revenue stream that is constant is a good thing. Unfortunately I cannot afford to be a member of all support groups. I do, however, vote, and contact my elected officials with my desires and complaints. Don't know if it does much good, but I do it anyway. If you look at history, you will find that the freedoms have been obtained by those that have little to lose. There are not many people, who are willing to give up a lifetimes worth of wealth accumulation, to become a target of the government. When George Washington crossed the Deleware, there were colonists entertaining the british in Philadelphia. It will be the same today, and tomorrow. You can take this to the bank though. Everyone worth his or her salt, should have something in thier life, that they would be willing to die for. If they don't, they have a very pitiful life.

drewsifer

Spoken like a true Three Percenter! Welcome to the life time club and being a target of your very own government, words like the ones you just spoke are considered illegal to the ones that want you to know that you are controlled and you will listen to there laws. When are people going to wake up and see that CHL or CCL what every you call it in your state is a infringment on your rights as a United States Citizen :banghead: Stand up for your Brothers and Sisters dont let them make up laws that you know are illegal vote organize protest make the public aware of such injustices. Only then will you be a real Citizen:lol: