• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Carry for Business Owner's

nrepuyan

imported post

I had heard that supposedly business owners in Missouri were allowed to carry without the need of a permit to conceal etc? I could have heard wrong...but wanted to inquire.

Anyone know anything about this or are business owners subjected to the CCW course and endorsement as well?

cshoff

imported post

nrepuyan wrote:
I had heard that supposedly business owners in Missouri were allowed to carry without the need of a permit to conceal etc? I could have heard wrong...but wanted to inquire.

Anyone know anything about this or are business owners subjected to the CCW course and endorsement as well?

You are exempt from RSMO 571.030.1(1) as long as you are lawfully entitled to possess a firearm and you are on premises over which you have possession, authority, or control. In other words, as long as you can legally have the firearm, you do not need the state's permission to carry it openly or concealed on YOUR property, whether that is a dwelling, a business, your curtilage, or real property you own (be aware that open carry outside of a building you own, such as in the front yard, may still cause you grief in jurisdictions where open carry is not allowed). The exact statute is as follows (emphasis added to the relevant text by me):

571.030. 1. A person commits the crime of unlawful use of weapons if he or she knowingly:
(1) Carries concealed upon or about his or her person a knife, a firearm, a blackjack or any other weapon readily capable of lethal use; or
3. Subdivisions (1), (5), (8), and (10) of subsection 1 of this section do not apply when the actor is transporting such weapons in a nonfunctioning state or in an unloaded state when ammunition is not readily accessible or when such weapons are not readily accessible. Subdivision (1) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply to any person twenty-one years of age or older transporting a concealable firearm in the passenger compartment of a motor vehicle, so long as such concealable firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed, nor when the actor is also in possession of an exposed firearm or projectile weapon for the lawful pursuit of game, or is in his or her dwelling unit or upon premises over which the actor has possession, authority or control, or is traveling in a continuous journey peaceably through this state. Subdivision (10) of subsection 1 of this section does not apply if the firearm is otherwise lawfully possessed by a person while traversing school premises for the purposes of transporting a student to or from school, or possessed by an adult for the purposes of facilitation of a school-sanctioned firearm-related event.

nrepuyan

imported post

awesome. i figured i could find the answer here. a friend of mine was inquiring about being able to carry under those circumstances but i couldn't recall a specific statute that was specific to business owners only.

thanks again, i'll pass that along.