• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

LA Times (LTE) - The Times' editorial board belittles open carriers

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/letters/la-le-0607-monday-20100607,0,2412104.story?page=5

Guns, out in the open

Re "Open carry curb," Editorial, June 3, 2010

The Times' editorial board belittles those lawfully bearing unconcealed holstered firearms as "weekend commandos" asserting "their manhood."

Even forgetting for a moment that many open carriers are women, this sophomoric attack is unseemly and demonstrates the usual lack of logic deployed by those opposing the right to bear arms. In 2008, the Supreme Court held in District of Columbia vs. Heller that the 2nd Amendment guarantees "the individual right to possess and carry weapons in case of confrontation."

AB 1934 is unconstitutional because it would ban open carry while concealed carry remains out of reach for most Californians.

Mike Stollenwerk

Alexandria, Va.
The writer is co-founder of OpenCarry.org.

Quartermaster

imported post

AB1934 Disallows open carry of handguns in California. It has 9,581 words in the bill according to my computer. I would like you to actually read every word and understand every meaning and nuance and any unintended consequences carefully and ponder them for a day or two before you even consider being onboard with AB 1934.

An unstated consequence of AB1934 would make a person who has a permit to carry concealed (CCW) into a criminal if his handgun is suddenly exposed by the wind or accidentally, etc. as his weapon is then open carry and illegal.

AB1810 has 25,455 words in the Bill according to my computer. I would like you to actually read every word and understand every meaning and nuance and any unintended consequences carefully and ponder them for a day or two before you even consider being onboard with AB 1810.

Another consequence of these bills is that the fairness and justice is removed. Namely, it removes a first offender from seeking dismissal or reduced penalties in the interest of justice, in case of overzealous prosecution or other, since those words are deleted from this Bill. That is nasty, and for why? [Ref PC 12037 (5) (c) (2) of this Bill]. It takes the options away from a Judge. And a Judge is one of the People's best and last defenses in the interests of Justice. Aside from the media.

JKelly

imported post

This is simplyreminds usthat journalism is a pseudo-profession that requires of the practitioner only a minimum facility with language and a complete lack of ethics in order to succeed.

JoeSparky

Centurion
imported post

JKelly wrote:
This is simplyreminds usthat journalism is a pseudo-profession that requires of the practitioner only a minimum facility with language and a complete lack of ethics in order to succeed.

So, should we LISCENSE journalists?:lol::lol::lol:

That was a joke everyone!

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
imported post

Were you really surprised by these predictable hate-mongers doing the same old thing they always do?

Really?

These 'journalists' are the kind of people who still cross over to the other side of the street when they see 'colored folk' coming down the sidewalk... And Saldana, author of this bill, even worse... a Champion for Homosexuals and Special Interests saying that, somehow, being utterly helpless makes you safer? Take a blade for her team?

Getting beaten to death and tossed in a dumpster is somehow morally superior than sending the bad guys to the morgue?

Being anti-gun and anti-oc isn't just dumb. It's just plain hateful.

rhenriksen

imported post

Quartermaster wrote:
An unstated consequence of AB1934 would make a person who has a permit to carry concealed (CCW) into a criminal if his handgun is suddenly exposed by the wind or accidentally, etc. as his weapon is then open carry and illegal.
Welcome to Texas.

falcon1

imported post

rhenriksen wrote:
Quartermaster wrote:
Welcome to Texas.
This is exactly why Tennessee has a Handgun Carry Permit instead of a CCW. The legislature did not want a gust of wind to equal a brandishing charge. Whether the legislature intended it or not, the Attorney General then opined that the HCP allows open carry as well.

SlackwareRobert

imported post

rhenriksen wrote:
Quartermaster wrote:
Welcome to Texas.
At least Texas has the parking garage exemption.:banghead:
You can bet the border patrol and FBI are wishing that mexico had a ban on OC this week.:banghead:

Where is the BHO and Biden? All those beat cops would loose their jobs if they can't
grab those OC'ing rambo wannabees to run serial numbers. Every gun not on a hip
will mean dozens of jobs in gooberment lost and not saved checking they are unloaded.
Why they could be forced to go in those bad neighborhoods and get shot at
if they have no LAC at walmart to harass.

In the 30K words, did you run across the punishment for having a bear or lion
rip your arm and shirt off and exposing your rotting corpse and pistol to the air?
I glad they already fixed the budget problems there, and have time to do the
real peoples work now.

I could write the bill in one sentence that would fix all the problems.
"It is unlawful to carry an exposed handgun on your person unless it is loaded
and ready to be used to defend oneself and the state."

Solves all the problems at once, there is no felon exemption as a felon would be
behind bars. Brandishing is still a crime as it doesn't defend self or state.
pulling a stick up job same thing.

So is the republican/ebay hack supportive of this? I know she was against gun
selling on her website.

Semper Paratus

imported post

"When do the rights of people to defend themselves step on the rights for people to have a irrational fear of an inanimate object. Just because a person chooses to open carry a firearm dos not mean there will be shoot outs in the street. People have watched to many movies. I openly carry a firearm for protection of my family. That is the only reason I will use it. I hope I will never use it. I am not cop. I am not responsibly to protect anyone else. So If the presence of my firearm makes you scared resteasy with the factthat I will not use it in your defence."

This is the comments I left on there site