• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Child shoot self with mothers gun

bigdaddy1

imported post

http://www.jsonline.com/news/milwaukee/95743854.html

A 2-year-old Milwaukee boy died Sunday after accidentally shooting himself in the face after finding his mother’s handgun in a dresser drawer, according to WTMJ-TV (Channel 4).

The tragedy occurred in the 3600 block of N. 4th Street.

Officials say Zaire Cameron was in a bedroom with two other children watching a movie Sunday before the incident occurred, WTMJ-TV reported.

His mother and father had been in a separate room and rushed in when they heard the gunshot.

Zaire was slumped over the end of the bed with the gun lying next to him.

According to the medical examiner’s report, which was obtained by the TV station, the boy’s mother had caught him playing with the gun a day before, punished the boy and then placed the gun back in the same drawer.

Both the mother and father own a handgun for protection

A good reason to educate anyone (especially children) in your home.

When I brought my handgun into the home, I took the gun out and showed it to both my young children. I didnt want them to "discover" it on their own and think its ok to play with. By educating them that it was a real gun and can cause real damage they would never get the urge to play with it. As for MY children it worked.

flagellum

imported post

This makes me so upset to hear.

I have a cousin who has two young daughters, who he has raised around firearms. He has always been really open with her about firearms, allows her to shoot a BB gun when she asks, and may handle any of his firearms under his supervision after he gives them a visual and physical check to make sure they are safe. If you remove the mystery behind weapons, you remove the motives for which children choose to play with guns.

ecocks

imported post

Sad.

+1 to raising them to understand what firearms are and their dangers.

bigdaddy1

imported post

flagellum wrote:
This makes me so upset to hear.

I have a cousin who has two young daughters, who he has raised around firearms. He has always been really open with her about firearms, allows her to shoot a BB gun when she asks, and may handle any of his firearms under his supervision after he gives them a visual and physical check to make sure they are safe. If you remove the mystery behind weapons, you remove the motives for which children choose to play with guns.
DING DING DING---We have a winner folks.

sraacke

imported post

and

If you remove the mystery behind weapons, you remove the motives for which children choose to play with guns.

The child was 2 years old AND had already been caught playing with the gun the day before.

It's not about education. It's about securing your darn gun. If it's not on your hip it needs to be locked up out of sight and reach of anyone but you. They had the gun for protection but left it in a separate room in an unlocked drawer. That led to their child killing himself. FAIL!

Nevada carrier

imported post

Children are naturally curious, especially about things they are told not to do.

The mother is 100% at fault for this incident. She was wrong to leave a 2 year old unattended, she was wrong to leave a firearm where a 2 year old could access it, she was wrong for punishing her child for something she could and should have prevented, she was wrong for not securing her firearm after being made aware that her 2 year old could access it.

she should loose the right to live in the free world for a very long time, she should not be permitted to risk another child's life by reproducing ever again. She should have to apologize publicly for her actions and be forced to make a public statement that her child's death was her fault not the fault of the firearm. She should add that her right to keep and bear arms was not the cause of the accident, but her carelessness as a parent and lack of responsibility as a firearm owner was to blame.

can't stand to hear stories like this because all it does is further fuel the Brady bunch fire.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

What kind ofmorons, knowing that the one child had gotten into the drawer just the day before and was playing with the gun, would allow 3 small children to watch television, unsupervised, inthat sameroom with a loaded gun in the unlocked nightstand drawer?

novasig226r

imported post

yale wrote:
and

If you remove the mystery behind weapons, you remove the motives for which children choose to play with guns.

The child was 2 years old AND had already been caught playing with the gun the day before. 

It's not about education. It's about securing your darn gun. If it's not on your hip it needs to be locked up out of sight and reach of anyone but you. They had the gun for protection but left it in a separate room in an unlocked drawer.  That led to their child killing himself. FAIL!

Yale, I agree with you 100%. However, allow me a small, simple criticism.

This is about education. Not the 2 year old child, but the irresponsible gun owning parent(s).

This is one fine example of why "anti-gun", "anti-2A", "pro-gun control", "etc" individuals and groups use gun owners to make their case. Gun ownership is a tremendous right. It is also a tremendous responsibility that, I believe, many gun owners are not taking seriously, if at all.

Folks often complain about "mandatory" safety classes, and "what part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand". My response would be to point them in the direction of this and other examples of poor judgement and lack of firearms safety. Stories like this one do absolutely nothing to further the cause for gun ownership or 2A rights. It simply paints us all with a wide, soiled brush as irresponsible "gun nuts". It suggests we want all good folk to own guns for the sake of owning guns, never mind the safety factor; almost as though we brush off education since it's an inconvenient impediment to our God given right to keep and bear arms.

Just because one has the right to keep and bear arms should not give one the right to be a danger to oneself and others. That child had a right to live just as we old farts do, and his parents violated that right through their ignorance, irresponsibility, and lack of firearms education. Let's not shift the blame to a two-year old child. A child's safety is the parents' responsibility.

zack991

imported post

Stupid parent, I would say toss her ass in jail but I think her losing her child is punishment enough. IF STUPID PARENTS had locked their weapons up to begin with their children would still be alive and it seem real simple to me. Locked up your firearm and teach your child that a firearm is not to be treated like a toy. Too many people like her have no business to being a parent.

fully_armed_biker

imported post

novasig226r wrote:
yale wrote:
and

It's not about education. It's about securing your darn gun. If it's not on your hip it needs to be locked up out of sight and reach of anyone but you. They had the gun for protection but left it in a separate room in an unlocked drawer. That led to their child killing himself. FAIL!

Yale, I agree with you 100%. However, allow me a small, simple criticism.

This is about education. Not the 2 year old child, but the irresponsible gun owning parent(s).

This is one fine example of why "anti-gun", "anti-2A", "pro-gun control", "etc" individuals and groups use gun owners to make their case. Gun ownership is a tremendous right. It is also a tremendous responsibility that, I believe, many gun owners are not taking seriously, if at all.

Folks often complain about "mandatory" safety classes, and "what part of 'shall not be infringed' do you not understand". My response would be to point them in the direction of this and other examples of poor judgement and lack of firearms safety. Stories like this one do absolutely nothing to further the cause for gun ownership or 2A rights. It simply paints us all with a wide, soiled brush as irresponsible "gun nuts". It suggests we want all good folk to own guns for the sake of owning guns, never mind the safety factor; almost as though we brush off education since it's an inconvenient impediment to our God given right to keep and bear arms.

Just because one has the right to keep and bear arms should not give one the right to be a danger to oneself and others. That child had a right to live just as we old farts do, and his parents violated that right through their ignorance, irresponsibility, and lack of firearms education. Let's not shift the blame to a two-year old child. A child's safety is the parents' responsibility.

+1

I had written a paragraph about how I could hear the anti's pulling out their broad brushes to paint all gun owners as irresponsible as these idiots...then deleted it before I posted because itdidn't seem to get to the point quick enough.

zack991

imported post

Nevada carrier wrote:
Children are naturally curious, especially about things they are told not to do.

The mother is 100% at fault for this incident. She was wrong to leave a 2 year old unattended, she was wrong to leave a firearm where a 2 year old could access it, she was wrong for punishing her child for something she could and should have prevented, she was wrong for not securing her firearm after being made aware that her 2 year old could access it.

she should loose the right to live in the free world for a very long time, she should not be permitted to risk another child's life by reproducing ever again. She should have to apologize publicly for her actions and be forced to make a public statement that her child's death was her fault not the fault of the firearm. She should add that her right to keep and bear arms was not the cause of the accident, but her carelessness as a parent and lack of responsibility as a firearm owner was to blame.

can't stand to hear stories like this because all it does is further fuel the Brady bunch fire.
Agree 100%

buster81

imported post

http://blogs.roanoke.com/rtblogs/dancasey/2010/06/08/tuesdays-column-when-kids-get-guns-where-are-the-parents/#comments

It didn't take DC long to jump on this one.

Here is my favorite comment by an obvious Brady Bunch Shill. Those dolts really should update their playbook from time to time.

It amazes me, in both the Blacksburg Middle School case and the VT Shootings, that
people have turned a blind eye to the fact that guns were used and easy access to them ARE the root of the problem. Instead, everyone is angry about 'delayed' warnings, announcements and response times.

People SHOULD be insisting on facing the issue of guns head-on. These are random acts
committed by people who can get their hands on a gun without anyone knowing. This kid did it, Jason Cho did it. And so did the hundreds of others who commit these crimes DAILY.

Obviously, out of shock, complaining about response times, etc...is the ONLY way people feel they have any control over a situation that is so out of hand there doesn't seem to be any other solution. It's futile and looks quite foolish from the outside.

Well guess what kids, the Constitutional protections afforded gun owners HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH life in 2010. They were created more than 200 years ago and were SOLEY to enable Malitias to ready in the event of WAR on our soil. That's it.

The fact that you or I can go to a Gun Show and buy a weapon on the spot without any sort of required background check is nothing short of criminal. You may as well stand on the corner of Main and Price Fork and just hand them out to every person as they drive bye. Similarly, the fact that you can buy a gun online from another state or at a Roanoke Pawn Shop without ANY waiting period is criminal. IT IS CRIMINAL. IT IS IMMORAL. IT IS WRECKLESS. IT IS DANGEROUS.

And the most absurd thing, is that legitimate gun owners would benefit ten fold by having a single-focused process in place. You want a gun? You go find the one you love. You submit your application with your Driver's License Photo, Passport Photo, and you WAIT for ten days. That's it. If you've got nothing to hide, and no criminal or psychological background issues you get approved and the gun is yours. Free and clear. And the profound benefit for legitimate gun owners is the proof that THEY are legal and that 90% of the nut jobs out there have been denied access to a gun.

You do this to drive a car. You do this to become a doctor. You do this to fly a plane. You SHOULD HAVE TO DO THIS TO OWN A GUN. Period.

The gun lobby is using you for profit based on murder. The blood is solely on the hands of any gun owner out there - good or bad. The time is over to debate and argue. The time is NOW to STRENGTHEN RIGHTS FOR GUN OWNERS AND CITIZENS who frankly are fed up with watching their friends, neighbors and loved ones die at the end of a gun.

Comment by Simple Facts — June 8, 2010 @ 1:33 pm

PT111

imported post

Very few 2 year-olds are capable of understanding what danger is or that they sould or should not do certain things. This doesn't apply just to guns but almost anything. You can and should try to point out that guns can be dangerour and they should not handle them without you helping. But that will not stop them from doing it and if you think it is a sure fire method to stop this kind of thing you are as crazy as the Brady Bunch. Keep the guns out of reach of children no matter what. After time you can start to tell how much you can trust that they understand your teachings but at 2 you are whistling in the breeze to think they know.

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I have always been very much pro-gun. I believe though, that rights also mean responsibilities. So, when my kids were small I took great care o keep my guns locked up. As they grew older I taught them about the guns, what they could do and how powerful they are. And I let them pull the trigger while I held and aimed the pistol.

My children never did get overly curious about guns and they left them strictly alone unless *I* allowed them to handle them.

Education IS the key here; education of both the parents and the children.

thnycav

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
kids should not have toy guns because when they see the real thing they will get hurt
Toy guns are fine as long as they are taught the difference.

thnycav

imported post

erichonda30 wrote:
kids should not have toy guns because when they see the real thing they will get hurt
Toy guns are fine as long as they are taught the difference.