• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Repeal Permit to Purchase to be heard tomorrow 6/08/2010

OC4me

imported post

Wow, that has been happening under the radar (mine at least). I didn't know it was being pushed and I hope it is successful. That purchase permit hassle really needs to go.

Haman J.T.

imported post

That would be HB 5972 & 5973.Contact your Reps(email,call) and tell them to support these bills ASAP! AT house.mi.gov !

Haman J.T.

imported post

hamaneggs wrote:
That would be HB 5972 & 5973.Contact your Reps(email,call) and tell them to support these bills ASAP! AT house.mi.gov !
My bad! It's house.mi.gov-Representatives .

lil_freak_66

imported post

i personally like the registration thing,it gives non cpl holders the ability to carry within 1000 ft. of a school,which we know without that ability non cpl holders wouldnt be able to carry much of anywhere.

but if the state were to say that anybody legally allowed to own a firearm is automatically licensed...then id want to get rid of registration

get rid of pfz's too, the alcohol thing at the very least.

yeah,thats what id like to see...

Yooper

imported post

This is really a gun control bill. The only positive about it, is you don't have to get a permit to purchase anymore. The bad is that people who don't have CPL's lose the ability to carry within 1000' of a school.

So think about it. The gun grabbers give up us having to get a permit to purchase ( and thus, no background check) on PRIVATE sales. Dealer sales will switch to the NICS system. In return, they get at least a 2000' diameter gun free zone around every school (except CPL holders). When you get towns that have multiple schools, it could nearly eliminate non CPL carry in that town. We're still stuck with registration, AND, it authorizes us to be charged $1, instead of what is now free. And then there's the whole thing about the CPL expiration date...which I still don't know what they're trying to do there......

ETA, if it was a bill that eliminated all permit to purchase, registration, safety inspections, and who knows what else, and handguns were to be treated the same as longuns for purchase, sales, possession purposes, then I'd be all for it.

B

Bikenut

imported post

If anyone recalls I asked a while back if there was anything to the rumors I've heard from police and local .gov officials that laws were in the works to get rid of OC?

Well.... heeeeeerrrrreee they are...

HIB 5972 and HIM 5973....

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billintroduced/House/htm/2010-HIB-5972.htm

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billintroduced/House/htm/2010-HIB-5973.htm

I really didn't expect to see a new bill addressing OC directly as in creating a new anti OC law because that would bring about a huge "gun control" backlash. But sneaking it through with these two bills is about what I expected.

.gov now works on the.... offer them a carrot we don't care about and while the stupid masses are chasing that carrot and not looking pork 'em in the... well... you know the rest.

Both of these bills are poison!!!! Read them..... and contact your Reps....

We do not have a government "of the people, by the people, for the people" anymore.... all we have are sneaky clever little elitist wannabe tyrants intent on screwing over us peasants.

B

Bikenut

imported post

malignity wrote:
Bikenut, that post really needs its own thread if it doesn't have one already.
Are we or are we not talking about HIB 5972 and HIB 5973?

Will these bills impact OCing in school zones... or not?

Are these bills a sneaky back door way to impact said OCing in school zones... or not?

What part of all that needs a new thread? The fact that I didn't jump on the...."Hey! Let's all get this done!" bandwagon?

....................... sigh ...............

Read the bills and keep in mind that the word "license" in the old law is what the Federal law recognizes as an exemption to the "no guns in a school zone" thing. And once the word "license" is dropped the exemption to the Fed law goes out the window.....

And a "school zone" is 1000 feet in all directions from school property... so... how big is the school property? Add 1000 feet to that and try to figure out if you are legally OC'ing or have strayed 10 feet into that "school zone". I'll bet LE will know exactly where that 1000 foot line is.

And yes, that IS a sneaky back door way of offering the carrot dropping "licensing" in order to give a screwing to OC.

And I have no doubt this is just one incremental step in an effort to get rid of OC without raising the controversial issue of "gun control".... even if it still is "OC gun control".

PT111

imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
i personally like the registration thing,it gives non cpl holders the ability to carry within 1000 ft. of a school,which we know without that ability non cpl holders wouldnt be able to carry much of anywhere.

but if the state were to say that anybody legally allowed to own a firearm is automatically licensed...then id want to get rid of registration

get rid of pfz's too, the alcohol thing at the very least.

yeah,thats what id like to see...

gun grabbers give up us having to get a permit to purchase ( and thus, no background check) on PRIVATE sales.

Somewhere I seem to be missing something. One person says that he likes the registration of guns. Another says that no backgound check on private sales but has to fill out a bill of sale for registration and carry it down to the police station. I know all of you make fun of South Carolina not allowing open carry but if this is what I have to put up with for open carry I will be glad to keep our set of laws. Half or my pistol collection was obtained legally from inheritance and I am not about to go running down to the police station to tell them all about it. Dang, people happy about having to register their guns, what's next a Sara Brady statue.

BTW - Those trying to say this is someone sneaking something in on you, those bill were filed on March 18, over three months ago and just now making it to committee hearings. Someone is falling down on the job of monitoring the legislature for such stuff. Sounds like they don't have to sneak anything in.

B

Bikenut

imported post

PT111 wrote:
Someone is falling down on the job of monitoring the legislature for such stuff. Sounds like they don't have to sneak anything in.
Agreed... someone isn't watching the hen house close enough!:(

Master Control

imported post

Bikenut wrote:
If anyone recalls I asked a while back if there was anything to the rumors I've heard from police and local .gov officials that laws were in the works to get rid of OC?

Well.... heeeeeerrrrreee they are...

HIB 5972 and HIM 5973....

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billintroduced/House/htm/2010-HIB-5972.htm

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2009-2010/billintroduced/House/htm/2010-HIB-5973.htm

I really didn't expect to see a new bill addressing OC directly as in creating a new anti OC law because that would bring about a huge "gun control" backlash. But sneaking it through with these two bills is about what I expected.

.gov now works on the.... offer them a carrot we don't care about and while the stupid masses are chasing that carrot and not looking pork 'em in the... well... you know the rest.

Both of these bills are poison!!!! Read them..... and contact your Reps....

We do not have a government "of the people, by the people, for the people" anymore.... all we have are sneaky clever little elitist wannabe tyrants intent on screwing over us peasants.

Thank You & good looking out yooper & bikenut;

My hat off to you both for kicking that knowledge with good and wholesome information. :D

I'm going to give them a read right now

B

Bikenut

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Bikenut and Yooper are EXACTLY RIGHT.

Bikenut, I think Malignity was acknowledging that you were correct, and suggested that you start a thread on it in an effort to bring it out in the light.
It is Yooper who deserves the credit for bringing this sneaky screwing contained in these bills to light....

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/forum30/45477.html

And if Malignity's intent was to start a new thread talking about those bills this thread touting support for these bad bills is exactly the right place to discuss just how bad these bills are.

I have no personal problem with Malignity... or anyone on this forum for that matter... but I am strongly convinced these bills are what LE, and other .gov agencies, is putting their hopes into for stopping OC.

I also expect more of the same kinds of sneaky crap to come along to further the clamp down on OC.

Friends... we must be vigilant. We must watch each and every piece of legislation that is worked on... hell.. every bit that is even thought of... and carefully read the wording with the thought in mind that there is a screwing in there somewhere... and find it.

We desperately need vigilant watchdogs in Lansing... and in Washington!

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

Agreed, but how many people actually do something besides reading this, and maybe preaching to the choir about it.

Oh I know, almost no one, which is exactly why we have so much senseless gun control.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

It just hit me, I diddnt see anything about an expiration date on the licence I have on the gun I currently own. Perhaps this would apply to guns purchased after the law passes, IF it passes, but the licence to purchase the pistols we already own should be valid, and therefore allow carry within the 1000 feet fed limit regardless.

What do you guys think?

lil_freak_66

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
It just hit me, I diddnt see anything about an expiration date on the licence I have on the gun I currently own. Perhaps this would apply to guns purchased after the law passes, IF it passes, but the licence to purchase the pistols we already own should be valid, and therefore allow carry within the 1000 feet fed limit regardless.

What do you guys think?
grandfathered in?

lemme get a few weeks to get a purchase permit first,so that im covered.:lol: