• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry Derby,KS

MM_45

imported post

Cool. Meand my friend might be making a trip up there sometime next month. Have you been harrassed by the police for open carrying?

lanceegarrison

imported post

Not at all, never even questioned ordetained by any one, however I'm clean cut , Just a guess but they may think I'm a cop. Business type clothing..

I was pulled over for speeding while open carrying. I informed him that I was legally
carrying a handgun, I have a Ks CCH permit.

I asked him if he knew that open carry was legal in Derby(not if driving unless CCH).I also told him I hademailed theCity Attorney For Derbywho stated that Derby Usesthe Uniform Public Offence Code which allows for open carry.

Trying to educate the officer to the law, I was surprised he knew it quite well he wasvery nice a said that there was an old man that carried a 6 shooter an most of the police had contact with him so they knew the law. He said don't be alarmed if the police talk to you ..Just treat them with the same respect you did me ohI almost forgot here is your ticket slow down and have a nice day. This was a very classy officer. I wasImpressed withhim as you can tell..

It was nice because my wife was with me she and got to here the officer speak to the law, it put her at ease.

Please PleasePlease call you local officialsor lawyer beforeOpen carrying ( know the law) be able to site the law, an until you are sure of and comfortable with what the law is ,you may carry a letter or in my case a email form the City Attorneys Office.