Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: An essay on open carry

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    I wrote my final paper for my English 101 class about open carry. Take a look and tell me what you think. Six pages long including the works cited page, five pages if you don't care about sources. It's in MLA format.

    EDIT: Now in OpenOffice flavor!

    http://www.filedropper.com/problemso...ssayfinaldraft
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Cherry Tree (Indiana County), Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    1,155

    Post imported post

    In my humble opinion (I'm not exactly an old fart yet), for an English 101 paper it's fairly decent. Of course, I won't be the one grading it, so my opinion may not count for much. It gets the point across, the words aren't misspelled, and the grammar is more than acceptable.

    The only point I disagree with is your jumping from, to, betwixt and between State constitutional issues (Article 1, Section 24) and Federal constitutional issues (First Amendment and Second Amendment). Would it be possible to stick with just one?

    Who knows, you just might educate your instructor. Good job!

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    1,415

    Post imported post

    G22Paddy wrote:
    I wrote my final paper for my English 101 class about open carry. Take a look and tell me what you think. Six pages long including the works cited page, five pages if you don't care about sources. It's in MLA format.

    EDIT: Now in OpenOffice flavor!

    http://www.filedropper.com/problemso...ssayfinaldraft
    It is apparent we go to the same school.


    Your paper isn't bad, but I agree that it shifts focus. It also has grammatical errors. Please proofread!

    I did that same class about a year ago, and my paper was on the semantics of the 2nd Amendment.

    Essentially, the teacher who was not so sure about the subject, came to the same conclusion that I did.

    That "People" was indeed a meaningfully utilized word in the 2nd, and that without that word, the Amendment would/could mean a lot of things.

    I actually enjoyed that class.

    Hope you do too!
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Personal responsibility is a facade created by religious people in particular...
    On "Personal Responsibility just after the previous, in the same exact thread.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Religion uses is as a tool, they did not create it.
    The wheels on the bus go round and round...round and round.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    You think that I am ill-equipped...hit me with your best shot Einstein, I am calling you out.


    Quote Originally Posted by Beretta92FSLady View Post
    Free will is only slightly a conscious exercise...

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Spokane, Washington, USA
    Posts
    38

    Post imported post

    Pretty good except this sentence ends strangely. I might have read it wrong since I am on my iPod so it might have cut something off for me. Easy to double check just in case. It's down towards the end of the paper.

    " It can prove to be a valuable resource for those who are open minded enough to do their own research on open carry, even if they're."

  5. #5
    Regular Member skiingislife725's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    400

    Post imported post

    I put some comments on the paper and then uploaded it in a file on filedropper. The address is in a PM I just sent you. But good job overall...jumps around a bit but it's still good.

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    Meh, I always hated English.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  7. #7
    Regular Member skiingislife725's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    400

    Post imported post

    hehe...Yah, it wasn't my favorite either. But the better you get at it, the better you'll be at possibly swaying people's opinions on important matters such as open carry.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    Well, the thing is, we already have people like Dave Workman doing an excellent job at it!
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  9. #9
    Regular Member skiingislife725's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Lake Stevens, WA
    Posts
    400

    Post imported post

    Yah, but imagine a mass media full of Dave Workmans. Ahh, one can dream.

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Lakewood, WA
    Posts
    1,001

    Post imported post

    I knew there was a reason for aspiring to be an engineer rather than a writer.
    Quote Originally Posted by SayWhat View Post

    Shooters before hooters.

  11. #11
    Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Whatcom County
    Posts
    17,338

    Post imported post

    G22Paddy wrote:
    I knew there was a reason for aspiring to be an engineer rather than a writer.
    Are you a type A personality? Most engineers I know are. And I have dealt with many.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

    U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Lakewood, Washington, USA
    Posts
    25

    Post imported post

    I enjoyed the read paddy. Your conclusion is best case perhaps (one can dream huh?) but the paper is spot on.

    good work.

    J

    now, lets go shooting!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •