• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Emailed the Louisville Chief of Police about OC..

Kriegsammler

imported post

Last week I sent an email to the Chief of Metro Police Louisville asking the official stance re: Open Carry in the Louisville Metro Area. The email I sent was based on the template another forum user was prepping for their local PD.. can't remember who.. but if it was you.. speak up.. ;)

Below is the response I got.. NOT from the Chief but from a Training Division Officer. I removed the emails and phone contact info but I do have that info if anyone needs it via PM.

from Burbrink, Don
to tracerx1138@gmail.com
cc "Despain, Kevin E" ,
"Klain, Carey"
date Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 11:03 AM
subject Open Carry

11:03 AM (11 hours ago)

Here are the answers to your questions;

When this activity is observed by an officer in our town...

1. Are the police instructed to stop (detain) the individual?

Officers are not instructed to stop or detain them if they are merely carrying openly, however if they get a call on them and there is some other activity going on then they may ask them for their ID and ask them about their intentions. But if they see them then generally they will not ask, but again it is based on what else is going on around the officer and if the officer feels safe.

2. Are the police instructed to ask for identification from the individual?

Only in the situation I described above. If they show up at a crime scene then they may be asked for ID, if they get a run on them then they may be asked.

3. Are the police aware that there is no offense that would warrant arrest from the simple open carrying of a firearm, when the firearm remains in the holster and no one has a credible and reasonable claim of a threat?

Yes, of course.

4. Are they educated with the fact that it is not necessarily illegal for a citizen to have a holstered firearm?

Again the same answer

5. What questions and procedures are the dispatchers trained with when a 'man with a gun' call is received? ( I consider #5 to be key to resolving many future "MAN WITH A GUN" calls when all it was was a citizen simply open carrying. )

You would have to ask Metro Safe about this.

Major Donald F. Burbrink II
Training Division Commander
2911 Taylor Blvd.
Louisville, KY 40208
502-XXX-XXXX
xxx.xxx@louisvilleky.gov

"Metro Safe" is the dept. that handles 911 and dispatch as far as I know.. I haven't contacted them yet.. Interesting response though..

Thoughts anyone?

-Adam

langzaiguy

imported post

My thought: why even email them in the first place? Their policy is to uphold the law--they're police officers. I generally don't like the idea of calling or messaging anybody on their "polices". I could care less. I know the policy of the founding fathers. I'm just going to live my life as a free individual.

Kriegsammler

imported post

I wasn't asking for their policy.. I was asking "what behavior can I expect from your officers?"

subtle difference. If I am ever treated otherwise.. and I have it on audio/video.. then I would have this email to show the court as well..

-Adam

Tribunal Power

imported post

Kriegsammler wrote:
I wasn't asking for their policy.. I was asking "what behavior can I expect from your officers?"

subtle difference. If I am ever treated otherwise.. and I have it on audio/video.. then I would have this email to show the court as well..

-Adam
Shrewd, IMO. And a good resource for others on the forum, if ever necessary.

Ivan Sample

imported post

I personally enjoy the information that was given here. I say "Good Job". To me that is powerful Knowledge to have. For those people who think they know all, You really don't. So please keep your negative comments to yourself.:)

langzaiguy

imported post

Were there negative comments on here? Yes, I suppose it's nice to know that the PR department of the police force knows the law.

Ivan Sample

imported post

Gutshot-

You should be ashamed of yourself right now. All he was doing was asking what they policy was on OC. Do you think that Police Dept. discuss this issue to keep their Officer inform? Maybe or maybe not! Its questions like this that make Officers aware of OC. So you can not judge people base on what they feel is right. At this point I consider you a troll and maybe while you at it, you should take some spelling classes. Its SPREAD NOT SPEAD and stop with the what ifs. Everyone on this board has a right to their opinion. We all don't agree but we can agree to disagree and move on. Instead of hijacking someone tread.

langzaiguy

imported post

I don't get why everyone is getting so defensive. Krieg asked for opinions and "thoughts". Are only opinions and thoughts that agree with yours welcome? Nobody needs to be ashamed of what they've written. We were asked for our thoughts. Gutshot and I aren't criticizing Krieg and what he did--we just think its rather unnecessary or fruitless. Feel free to disagree and move on.

Ivan Sample

imported post

langzaiguy-

Did you read gutshot post! Tell me what it really mean. He is being a troll with his negative comments. That is the way that I see it with his long drawn out post. If he disagree with the post then he should have said that instead of his crazy post.

langzaiguy

imported post

The burden of evidence is on you--what part is crazy? How is he a "troll"? I simply see a differing of opinions.

Ivan Sample

imported post

Opinions are great and that is what this board is all about to some. But the problems is when someone tries to force their opinions on to others or think they know more then the next person. We all can help each other here but we must act like adults and that include myself as well.

JMJOHN0055

imported post

Wow...really? Would I have sent an e-mail to the Chief of Police about a "policy" I know is law? No, but as we live in a country where it is, not only our right, but our responsibility to question our leaders, I applaud him for taking advantage of what few people do. And as I was asked for my thoughts, I think the name calling is a childish form of expression. If you think someone is a "troll" then that's fine. That is also your right, but do us all a favor and learn a more educated manner of "taking shots" at people.

Just this guys 2 cents.