• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

best way to get the ss. barrel look with out the cost

spencer280

imported post

well i have found the best way to get the stainless steel look with out the cost .

[1]. soak your barrel in vinegar for 2 hours
[2]. On a Glock the blackening of the barrel is merely a cosmetic surface treatment. its not blued, that way the vinegar takes it off so easy.
[3]. use the finest sand paper. i got mine from walmart # 3 sand paper its for polishing metal.

[4]. then wipe a thin layer on it and the way you go.

[5]. remember go with the grain sand polishing, go straight on the straight parts and go round on the round parts. DO NOT SAND THE ROUND PART OF THE BARREL BACK AND FORTH, THAT'S GOING AGAINST THE GRAIN AND WILL LOOK LIKE CRAP

FYI. there are people out there that will say the barrel will rust. this is wrong glocks have a rust resistant qualities , the Tenifer (salt bath nitriding) is a process that is in the metal itself. that resits rusting and you can not get rid of it simply by polishing the metal

Thundar

imported post

You could do the same thing to your car and give it theDMC look!

Blueing ison a gunfor a reason.If you own most firearms, oxidation is your enemy.

spencer280

imported post

ya but bluing on the barrel wears off after 500 rds. and the other is if you oil your gun you have no oxidation. see if you carry your weapon, you alway have it clean and a thin layer of oil on it right, well how can it rust with oil on it. i have had mine shined up for over a month and its has done nothing. still shining and no oxidation.

Cracker

imported post

That barrel probably won't rust anytime soon, I wouldn't be concerned. People have been doing this for a looooong time with no negative results, unless you leave your weapon outside instead of with you.

spencer280

imported post

i know, if you carry your weapon for self defense, then your weapon is lubed up and you have nothing to worry about. now if you are the type to do this and put it in a safe for years with out lube then you may have a problem

Fallschirjmäger

imported post

Thundar wrote:
You could do the same thing to your car and give it theDMC look!

Blueing ison a gunfor a reason.If you own most firearms, oxidation is your enemy.
Not to put too fine of a point on it but the rust resistant qualities of a Glock are the result of the Tenifer (salt bath nitriding) is a process that is in the metal itself. It cannot be removed by either application diluted acids nor abrasives the abrasive removes layers of metal at a time. On a Glock the blackening is merely a cosmetic surface treatment and the Tenifer many times thicker.

spencer280

imported post

on this glock 22 40 cal i have done a couple mods to it.

1. is the stainless steel bare look
2. i have a lone wolf connector 3.5
3. i have replaced the trigger spring with the ny-1 trigger spring
4 i got the stainless steel pin set and slide stop extender
5. the rubber grip decal by 3m
6. a plug that goes beside the mag.

i just wanted to bring the beauty out of the plain looking glock