• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Can I Open Carry without a CHL in Oregon Sate Parks?

Volcom777

imported post

Just found this forum today and its great! After searching the internet for days with no success on Open Carry Laws in Oregon State Parks, I am glad I have found this site. The link below is about the closest thread I could find here through a search for my question. Can somebody confirm this with me?

http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=29772&forum_id=45&highlight=Oregon+State+Parks

If I am understanding this thread correctly, Oregon State Parks had rescinded their "Guns Prohibited" or "Loaded Firearms" rules/signs as it violated State Laws?

So, I am not an Oregon CHL holder, but it will be legal for me to Open Carry my handgun in my side holster, with a loaded magazine inserted into the gun (round chambered maybe, but probably not) and a second loaded magazine on me, in any one of these Oregon State Parks along the coast in the link below?

http://www.oregonstateparks.org/searchpark.php

If any park rangers or leo tells me otherwise what do I say to them?

Also from the other things I have read here, is that I can have my magazines loaded while leaving (and in) the Portland area as long as the loaded magazines are not in the gun, correct? The gun will be kept in a padlocked bag in the rear of the vehicle (SUV so no trunk, it does have a small floorboard cubby that lifts up though) and the loaded magazines and extra ammo packed into a different bag? Because the magazines are not a "firearm", but a "component" of the "firearm". Is this something that is still to risky as far as getting harassed, and would you guys recommend just keeping the mags empty until out of town?

Last question, not being a CHL holder, once I am outside of the Portland/Beaverton/Tigard area and stay out of Newport it is perfectly legal for me as a passenger in the car to have my loaded handgun holstered on my side while in route to the beach, correct? Just dont turn the dome light on should we get pulled over......:?

All of this I assume, Open Carry meaning my shirt or jacket cannot be covering my holstered sidearm and it must be visible to the public?

I had no intentions of getting my CHL when I first bought my handgun, I think I will be applying soon though.

Thanks for any information you can give me. I did use the search function and have been reading for hours actually, just want to be 100% sure.

Phssthpok

imported post

State parks are a go because they have not been restricted by the state legislature.

Portland's prohibition on loaded magazines that are NOT attached to the firearm is, as I previously posted, arguably unenforceable as it conflicts with state law. HOWEVER, it is my opinion that any final settlement on this issue will be played out in court, which means either a proactive lawsuit, or getting arrested. It's your choice if you want to run that risk.

Volcom777

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
State parks are a go because they have not been restricted by the state legislature.

Portland's prohibition on loaded magazines that are NOT attached to the firearm is, as I previously posted, arguably unenforceable as it conflicts with state law. HOWEVER, it is my opinion that any final settlement on this issue will be played out in court, which means either a proactive lawsuit, or getting arrested. It's your choice if you want to run that risk.

Thanks for the quick reply Phssthpok.

I would rather not run the risk of getting arrested or dumping money into a lawyer for such a minor thing

Cremator75

imported post

sheepdog762 wrote:
Phssthpok wrote:
does this include state camp grounds i.e detroit lake
Yes it does. A lot of state parks and state campgrounds have already placed an updated sticker over the part of the sign that banned firearms. Some have still not been done yet. If you find one, let them know about it and follow up on it until it is taken care of.

We-the-People

imported post

I can second this as i contacted the state parks folks about a sign posted at Lost Creek Lake (near Medford) and it was taken care of in what I thought was very rapid time considering my experience with government.

There is a thread on it somewhere around here with contact information as well.

GSXRrider

imported post

Last time I was at Henry Hagg Lake in Washington County it had no firearms signs all over the place. And I've heard people say that it's actually federal property so it was enforceable, even to people with CHL's. I didn't get any numbers off the signs...

http://www.co.washington.or.us/Support_Services/Facilities/Parks/Hagglake/

http://www.co.washington.or.us/Support_Services/Facilities/Parks/Hagglake/policies.cfm

I just found past talk about this....
http://opencarry.mywowbb.com/view_topic.php?id=25061&forum_id=45&highlight=sling

Phssthpok

imported post

Owned by the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, maintained and operated by Washington County, the Park features numerous picnic areas, two boat launching facilities, a fully stocked lake for fishing, more than 15 miles of hiking trails, and observation decks for wildlife and bird watching. Since the creation of Henry Hagg Lake in the mid-1970s, Washington County, the Bureau of Reclamation, and the Washington County Elks Lodges have shared a commitment to make the Park user-friendly to every visitor. Located just 25 miles southwest of Portland, resting at the base of Oregon's beautiful coastal range, Hagg Lake offers visitors the best of outdoor recreational activities.

Fed BoR is a division of Fed DoI, per their own homepage (see upper left corner[).

Ergo, the new Fed DoI 'guns in parks' regulations should apply.

Cremator75

imported post

Phssthpok wrote:
Ergo, the new Fed DoI 'guns in parks' regulations should apply.
Except maybe while ON the dam, which you have to go over to get to the park unless you go ALL the way around. This would be a good thing to check up on.

DenWin

imported post

Volcom777 wrote:
SNIP ... and stay out of Newport it is perfectly legal for me as a passenger in the car to have my loaded handgun holstered on my side while in route to the beach, correct?

Last I checked Newport doesn't have any city ordinances restricting loaded handguns. I have a CHL, but my friend does not, and we both travel to Newport quite frequently to visit my grandparents (he likes the free sushi lunch too when visiting my grandparents :p ) and he open carries once we get a good distance from Tigard on our way there. Remember, I'm not a lawyer, so I'd double check it just to be sure.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
imported post

DenWin wrote:
Volcom777 wrote:
SNIP ... and stay out of Newport it is perfectly legal for me as a passenger in the car to have my loaded handgun holstered on my side while in route to the beach, correct?

Last I checked Newport doesn't have any city ordinances restricting loaded handguns. I have a CHL, but my friend does not, and we both travel to Newport quite frequently to visit my grandparents (he likes the free sushi lunch too when visiting my grandparents :p ) and he open carries once we get a good distance from Tigard on our way there. Remember, I'm not a lawyer, so I'd double check it just to be sure.

It looks like a CHL is required in Newport...8.20.005 (pg 227)

http://www.thecityofnewport.net/dept/adm/documents/NewportMunicipalCode.pdf

We-the-People

imported post

Yes, the city of Newport was added to the stickied list of ban cities for Oregon a few months back. It should also be noted that there are other cities that you did not mention AND may be others that are not on the list of known ban cities. Newport has had their ordinance for quite a while and was just recently discovered by someone on this board and added to the list.

DenWin

imported post

We-the-People wrote:
Yes, the city of Newport was added to the stickied list of ban cities for Oregon a few months back. It should also be noted that there are other cities that you did not mention AND may be others that are not on the list of known ban cities. Newport has had their ordinance for quite a while and was just recently discovered by someone on this board and added to the list.

Well I stand corrected. Thanks for the update :D Exactly why I say don't take my word for it.

Volcom777

imported post

Thought I would update. I open carried (my first time ever) along the coast this weekend with no issues. I did not carry in the towns however, its still a little to new to me for that.

We stayed at Nehalem State Park and I loaded my 9mm and put my holster on for the first time, I was quite nervous actually. For some reason i was worried someone was going to scream "gun" or something and I would get arrested. I noticed quite a few glances as my wife and i walked around the park and to the beach but all were friendly, except for a few kinda yuppy liberal looking types. I could tell they disapproved from their looks at me.

I open carried in the vehicle and carried at our next camp site which was a Tillamook County Campsite. There were a ton of familys and kids around and no issues at all, I look respectable for a 26 year old and carry myself well i think. After a little while I wasnt even thinking about it that often. There was a guy right across from us open carrying who was friendly so that was cool. I felt so much safer than ever before while camping, it was nice to have the security.

I do have to say, I will never stay in another Oregon State Park for the rest of my life. Its not even camping, the sites are like 5 feet from each other and they basically cram as many people as they can as close together to make the $24 a night tent camping fee........no privacy whatsoever. If you go to the coast, check out a Tillamook County camgrounds or a private campground, trust me.