• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Got Kicked Out of Valero Cornerstore in Falcon

ZackL

imported post

Okay, so I went in to Falcon to pick up gas, cigarettes and a movie. I, as usual, had absolutely no issues with Wal-Mart and got to peruse a little bit with not even a second glance. Once I was done there I went to the Cornerstore on Highway 24 and Meridian Rd.

When I went in there was a woman in front of me. She thanked me for being polite (I let her go ahead of me because she was in the store first) and then went on her way. I noticed that she looked at my Ruger a few times before she left, but didn't figure anything else was going to happen as I have shopped there many times before while carrying.

There was a new guy (new to me) behind the counter I told him what I needed and as soon as he scanned the cigarettes as he walked back to the counter he said "Are you in law enforcement?"

I was going to say "Nope, just a law abiding citizen" or something to that effect, but I only got "No" out before he cut me off.

He then said something very rapidly about not being allowed to bring the gun in. I responded with "Can I ask why?"

His exact words were "You can't do that without a permit and then you have to conceal it!"

I responded with "Actually, in the state of Colorado you can open carry without a permit."

"Well, not in this store. Don't bring your weapon in with you next time you come in." He said.

I then asked if he was the manager and he said "no, but you can discuss this with him tomorrow."

I asked for the number (meaning the number to the store) because I wasn't going to drive twenty-five miles back tomorrow just to talk to him and he said that he wasn't going to give me his manager's personal number. I'm fine with that, but when I asked for the store's number he said that it was on the outside of the building; it's just the corporate number. I finished getting my gas, took down the corporate number and left.

When I got home I called them, but they're closed. I will be following up with a phone call to the manager of the store itself as well as with the corporate offices and likely a complaint against the cashier for the rudeness. I just wanted to post to let everyone in the area know to watch it if you go in there at night the guy will likely give you a hard time about carrying.

I will update tomorrow night after I talk to the manager and corporate offices.

Half Live

imported post

Man to bad that place is about a hour drive from me or else I would open carry there and see what happens.

ZackL

imported post

Well, I just talked to the store manager and a customer service rep at corporate. The rep was unsure of the rule, she seemed to think that it was more in line with state law. However, she was in Texas and only had concealed to go off of. The manager said that it was corporate policy to only allow concealed weapons in the store.

Thankfully, the customer service rep also said that she would forward the complaint on to the regional manager to see if I could get a more precise answer than what she could offer. So, while I'm hoping the regional manager will disprove this in the next few hours, it appears that Valero Cornerstores, Diamond Shamrock and Shamrock convenience stores are off limits to open carriers.

Edited for Spelling.

entartet17

imported post

It sounds to me like this was simply an anti-gun employee who had a problem with you carrying a gun and that the manager is just backing up his employee (especially since you've carried there before). But I'm interested in what the regional manager says.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

entartet17 wrote:
It sounds to me like this was simply an anti-gun employee who had a problem with you carrying a gun and that the manager is just backing up his employee (especially since you've carried there before). But I'm interested in what the regional manager says.

This is my bet as well as I OC in the Valero down the street from me quite often among others and have never had a peep said about it.

mahkagari

imported post

Policy aside, there is no excuse for the rudeness. I wouldn't be back with or without my weapon.

ZackL

imported post

Okay... So I just got off the phone with Phil, the regional manager, and he said that as long as it's legal he doesn't care how anyone carries in the store. When I asked him directly if I could continue to open carry in the store he said "yeah" and was very apologetic for the rudeness of the employee. After this I will definitely be using the Cornerstore whenever I can as the management and corporate customer service rep were all extremely polite and tried to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

ZackL wrote:
Okay... So I just got off the phone with Phil, the regional manager, and he said that as long as it's legal he doesn't care how anyone carries in the store. When I asked him directly if I could continue to open carry in the store he said "yeah" and was very apologetic for the rudeness of the employee. After this I will definitely be using the Cornerstore whenever I can as the management and corporate customer service rep were all extremely polite and tried to remedy the situation as quickly as possible.

Cool. Now your next mission is to find out when Mr. Pissy is working again so you can make a point of stopping by while wearing your best sh** eating grin along with your OC and ask him how his chat with Phil went.

ZackL

imported post

lol I'm not a vindictive person though. I generally just let things go after it's said and done, but I'm not going to avoid any of the Valero stores because of who might be working.

ZackL

imported post

lol If I had enough to do it, that wouldn't be a bad idea. I think that anyone who can, should visit this store open carrying. I'll be back in there soon enough, too.

mahkagari

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
Personally I'd go in with every inch of my waistband populated with a firearm, but that's me. :D
Didn't Wyatt Cenac do that?

ColoradoFlyer

imported post

Zack, very cool that you got this resolved so quickly, I have had no problems here in Douglas County with any of the gas station/convenience stores.

Second, can we refrain from quoting someones entire post that is directly above the post you are making, I know it is your choice but we don't need to make posts so long. I like reading the immediate responses and I can understand if you are taking a post from a different page or something but lets try to keep things in check... just my two worthless cents..

RockyMtnScotsman

imported post

ColoradoFlyer wrote:
Zack, very cool that you got this resolved so quickly, I have had no problems here in Douglas County with any of the gas station/convenience stores.

Second, can we refrain from quoting someones entire post that is directly above the post you are making, I know it is your choice but we don't need to make posts so long. I like reading the immediate responses and I can understand if you are taking a post from a different page or something but lets try to keep things in check... just my two worthless cents..

No

:celebrate

Beau

imported post

RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
ColoradoFlyer wrote:

No

:celebrate
+1