• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Just Got Kicked Out of Valero Cornerstore in Falcon

mahkagari

imported post

Beau wrote:
RockyMtnScotsman wrote:
ColoradoFlyer wrote:
Zack, very cool that you got this resolved so quickly, I have had no problems here in Douglas County with any of the gas station/convenience stores.

Second, can we refrain from quoting someones entire post that is directly above the post you are making, I know it is your choice but we don't need to make posts so long. I like reading the immediate responses and I can understand if you are taking a post from a different page or something but lets try to keep things in check... just my two worthless cents..

No

:celebrate
+1
Who says OCers are troublemakers?

Pace

imported post

I had an instance in Vegas, very similar. I dont tell anyone "I worked in law enforcement, still consult..."

after getting a lecture, my response was simply "When you have a building fall and almost kill you on sept 11th then please lecture me."

Machoduck

imported post

All right, you guys have gotten me to go there OC to see what would happen. I used the wash room and got some candy, more to stand in line than anything else. I let a woman go in front of me because her arms were full, and yes Zack, she was in the store ahead of me. Nothing was said by anyone, except for the woman, who called me a gentleman. Counter man was Steve; brown and brown, mostly bald, short mustache.

MD

ZackL

imported post

Machoduck,

Was this a local to you Valero or are you in the Springs area? In any case, I'm glad you had a good experience.

I went in once since this happened when I was passing through Falcon and needed gas and it went fine. Not a single word or a second glance, which was normal for every other visit I had had before being thrown out by the newer clerk.

Machoduck

imported post

Zack, this was the same place you had your problem (Rte 24 and Meridian in Falcon). The fuel was Diamond-Shamrock but names change frequently in the fuel business.

Mrs. Duck and I are traveling. We wanted to see what Elbert County looked like and had driven down from Kiowa through Elbert, so it was no trouble to test the waters a little in Falcon. I gather that we must have been in your neck of the woods or close to it.

We had hoped to hook up with some CO OCDO folks but, alas, we've got to head back to the rains of Western Washington.

MD

ZackL

imported post

Well I hope that you enjoyed your stay here and that you'll come on back whenever you can. How did you like the Elbert/Kiowa area? I live further east than that, but only by about 15 miles.

cscitney87

imported post

Pace wrote:
I had an instance in Vegas, very similar. I dont tell anyone "I worked in law enforcement, still consult..."

after getting a lecture, my response was simply "When you have a building fall and almost kill you on sept 11th then please lecture me."
wtf does 9/11 have to do with anything? and bringing up that you were almost killed? Many of us have been almost killed.

I'm sorry but where did that come from and what does that add to the thread?

Machoduck

imported post

Zack, I loved the Kiowa-Elbert area! The problem is that Mrs. Duck does not. She's a city girl; says it's "too far out". "Houston, we have a problem."

Cscitney87, I think it's all part of the OC thing to offer up what each of us would say after a given event, confrontation, or quarrel. The French even have a term for it: "L'esprit de l'escalier" or staircase wit. Everybody does it on occasion. I bet you've even done it once or twice. :p But it sometimes leads to better responses to "anti" questions or attacks.

MD

ZackL

imported post

lol... Well, Macho, there's always Falcon, Monument and Black Forest to get closer to the city... Or there's places throughout Douglas County.

Vegassteve

imported post

cscitney87 wrote:
Pace wrote:

wtf does 9/11 have to do with anything? and bringing up that you were almost killed? Many of us have been almost killed.

I'm sorry but where did that come from and what does that add to the thread?
It adds and means nothing. Pace was a blow hard in Vegas and I guess he still is in CO.

Gunslinger

imported post

I buy gas there from time to time, living in Falcon. Never had a problem, but haven't been inside OCing. Safeway gas station has better prices, btw, and never a word about OC which I often do coming back from the gun club.

Cypher

imported post

*Giggle*

Can you imagine it?

As he's getting mad at you & telling you you can't OC, a robber comes in with a gun?

I'd be tempted to look at the robber, tell him/her that the employee doesn't like that I OC & that if I don't leave the employee might have me arrested - so I'm leaving....

Oh, & my cell battery is dead.

maynerd

Okay, so I went in to Falcon to pick up gas, cigarettes and a movie. I, as usual, had absolutely no issues with Wal-Mart and got to peruse a little bit with not even a second glance. Once I was done there I went to the Cornerstore on Highway 24 and Meridian Rd.

When I went in there was a woman in front of me. She thanked me for being polite (I let her go ahead of me because she was in the store first) and then went on her way. I noticed that she looked at my Ruger a few times before she left, but didn't figure anything else was going to happen as I have shopped there many times before while carrying.

There was a new guy (new to me) behind the counter I told him what I needed and as soon as he scanned the cigarettes as he walked back to the counter he said "Are you in law enforcement?"

I was going to say "Nope, just a law abiding citizen" or something to that effect, but I only got "No" out before he cut me off.

He then said something very rapidly about not being allowed to bring the gun in. I responded with "Can I ask why?"

His exact words were "You can't do that without a permit and then you have to conceal it!"

I responded with "Actually, in the state of Colorado you can open carry without a permit."

"Well, not in this store. Don't bring your weapon in with you next time you come in." He said.

I then asked if he was the manager and he said "no, but you can discuss this with him tomorrow."

I asked for the number (meaning the number to the store) because I wasn't going to drive twenty-five miles back tomorrow just to talk to him and he said that he wasn't going to give me his manager's personal number. I'm fine with that, but when I asked for the store's number he said that it was on the outside of the building; it's just the corporate number. I finished getting my gas, took down the corporate number and left.

When I got home I called them, but they're closed. I will be following up with a phone call to the manager of the store itself as well as with the corporate offices and likely a complaint against the cashier for the rudeness. I just wanted to post to let everyone in the area know to watch it if you go in there at night the guy will likely give you a hard time about carrying.

I will update tomorrow night after I talk to the manager and corporate offices.

i know exactly where that is at my cousin use to work there i say we have a open carry meeting there :)

ZackL

Well, I though this was dead... But last night I went in to the same Cornerstore to get a drink and cigarettes and lo-and-behold, the same guy was working and again waited until he had some of my items rang up to begin a tirade about how I can't carry in there.

His words were "Next time you come in, don't bring your weapon." In my mind I was thinking "Really... Again... Come on!"

However, my response was "I actually spoke to your regional manager and he said that you [implying the stores] all abide by state law and as this is legal in Colorado that it was acceptable."

He continued on about how I was "scaring customers away" and my argument about carrying for protection was "not even valid" because he wasn't carrying. He also went on to threaten me with his "panic button and see what I say to the cops with my face in the ground." I finished my business (it was 11pm and I didn't feel like driving to Calhan to get everything I wanted) and as I was leaving he continued to berate me so I said simply "that's fine sir, if you don't want me to carry in your store, I won't give you my business." He scoffed and walked to the back room.

I'm going to call corporate, yet again, and hopefully clear this situation up once and for all, but I doubt that I will be giving Valero my business in the near future or until they can guarantee that there won't be any stupid issues like this in the future.

ETA: Also, to clarify, he never told me to leave the store so there was no trespassing involved. The only thing he said remotely to that affect was to not bring my weapon in the next time I came in.

Last edited:
M

McX

the clerk needs to correct his statement; you werent scaring customers away, you were scaring criminals away.

Gunslinger

Well, I though this was dead... But last night I went in to the same Cornerstore to get a drink and cigarettes and lo-and-behold, the same guy was working and again waited until he had some of my items rang up to begin a tirade about how I can't carry in there.

His words were "Next time you come in, don't bring your weapon." In my mind I was thinking "Really... Again... Come on!"

However, my response was "I actually spoke to your regional manager and he said that you [implying the stores] all abide by state law and as this is legal in Colorado that it was acceptable."

He continued on about how I was "scaring customers away" and my argument about carrying for protection was "not even valid" because he wasn't carrying. He also went on to threaten me with his "panic button and see what I say to the cops with my face in the ground." I finished my business (it was 11pm and I didn't feel like driving to Calhan to get everything I wanted) and as I was leaving he continued to berate me so I said simply "that's fine sir, if you don't want me to carry in your store, I won't give you my business." He scoffed and walked to the back room.

I'm going to call corporate, yet again, and hopefully clear this situation up once and for all, but I doubt that I will be giving Valero my business in the near future or until they can guarantee that there won't be any stupid issues like this in the future.

ETA: Also, to clarify, he never told me to leave the store so there was no trespassing involved. The only thing he said remotely to that affect was to not bring my weapon in the next time I came in.

How many customers were there to scare away at 2300? If he called the cops all they would do is tell you to leave. If they don't want guns, they should post it on the door. Is this jerk the night manager? What time were you in last time? $7 a hour does make you feel important.

ZackL

McX - I agree.

Gunslinger - There was exactly one customer, at the pump, the entire time I was in the store. In any case, I've had several pleasant conversations with people in that very store many times, but never once have I had anyone leave the store because I was in there, nor have any customers ever said that they didn't like me carrying.

As for him being the night manager, I'm not thinking so as I only see him occasionally and he always refers to another manager. I'm just sick of everything being perfectly fine, and then because he's working I have to deal with being threatened to have the cops called. And last time I think I was in there around 8pm or 9pm. It was a little busier, but it was dark and in July so that's just an estimate.

Also, I'm just waiting on a call from a manager (I think it's going to go to the regional manager again). As always, their corporate customer service workers were very pleasant and helpful and very apologetic. I'll update when I get the call back and let you all know what happens.

Last edited:

Blk97F150

Were you audio taping? The Regional Manager might be interested to hear the comments from the employee....

ZackL

I wasn't, he surprised me and I didn't even think to get my phone out... I need to just buy a recorder that I can leave on when I leave the house, I just haven't gotten thought about it when I have the money.