• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Brown City Days OC fiasco

kyleplusitunes

imported post

smellslikemichigan wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
OP thanks for posting, if its a hoax, then its a hoax, but if not, its certainly worth discussion.

BTW, although I lack a cite, I understand that making a toy gun look like a real one is a crime. Something to think about in the future if some antis or cops try to pull something like this.

Yes I said cops, I wouldnt put it past some of them based on comments Ive read on other sites. They also could mask their plans through private forums.
don't worry, he's just relaying what he "heard". he's not stating it as a fact. he's not a troll, he's been on here a while and i've talked to him. he's going to help out at the marysville picnic. he just doesn't post on here a lot. it is absolutely not a crime to make a toy gun look like a real one. it may however be a crime to brandish it or use it in the commission of a crime. but that is regulated city to city and state to state. my town, for example has an ordinance regarding toy guns. they are allowed to because fake guns are not preempted.
THIS REFERS TO ST CLAIR ONLY:
Sec. 38-231. Display of replica, toy or imitation gun.
It shall be unlawful for any person to brandish, aim, point, or exhibit to any other person a replica or facsimile of a firearm in such manner as to frighten, threaten, harass, panic or annoy any other person. A "replica or facsimile of a firearm" shall mean any device or object which is a replica, facsimile, imitation or toy version of any firearm, including but not limited to toy guns, movie or stage props, air guns, starter pistols, inoperative firearms, models, replicas or any other device designed or used to imitate a firearm.

it looks like according to that law, a holstered airsoft gun is not a crime

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

kyleplusitunes wrote:
smellslikemichigan wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
OP thanks for posting, if its a hoax, then its a hoax, but if not, its certainly worth discussion.

BTW, although I lack a cite, I understand that making a toy gun look like a real one is a crime. Something to think about in the future if some antis or cops try to pull something like this.

Yes I said cops, I wouldnt put it past some of them based on comments Ive read on other sites. They also could mask their plans through private forums.
don't worry, he's just relaying what he "heard". he's not stating it as a fact. he's not a troll, he's been on here a while and i've talked to him. he's going to help out at the marysville picnic. he just doesn't post on here a lot. it is absolutely not a crime to make a toy gun look like a real one. it may however be a crime to brandish it or use it in the commission of a crime. but that is regulated city to city and state to state. my town, for example has an ordinance regarding toy guns. they are allowed to because fake guns are not preempted.
THIS REFERS TO ST CLAIR ONLY:
Sec. 38-231. Display of replica, toy or imitation gun.
It shall be unlawful for any person to brandish, aim, point, or exhibit to any other person a replica or facsimile of a firearm in such manner as to frighten, threaten, harass, panic or annoy any other person. A "replica or facsimile of a firearm" shall mean any device or object which is a replica, facsimile, imitation or toy version of any firearm, including but not limited to toy guns, movie or stage props, air guns, starter pistols, inoperative firearms, models, replicas or any other device designed or used to imitate a firearm.

it looks like according to that law, a holstered airsoft gun is not a crime
THE LAW IN ST CLAIR ONLY!

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Oh, Im not calling him out as a troll. But Im pretty sure its illegal to make a toy gun look like a real one. ie. painting the orange tip black, or removing it altogether.
cite. this has been discussed at length on the forum and no one can find a law to the contrary. once you buy a toy, it is yours to do with as you wish. like i said, you may run into local ordinances regulating what you can do with toy guns, but for the most part they only apply to brandishing a toy gun or using it to commit a crime.

lil_freak_66

imported post

stainless1911 wrote:
Oh, Im not calling him out as a troll. But Im pretty sure its illegal to make a toy gun look like a real one. ie. painting the orange tip black, or removing it altogether.
im pretty sure the law only states that airsoft guns must be sold with an orange tip,nothing about the consumer removing it imo.

kwirknu,before he just painted the entire thing orange,had his AK pistol muzzle break painted orange.

i think there should be laws about requiring there to be an orange or red tip left on at all times,and to make it a crime to do that to real firearms though.

i can see somebody doing that with a real firearm,and then somebody else getting ahold of it and shooting somebody in the back because they thought it wasnt real.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
imported post

lil_freak_66 wrote:
stainless1911 wrote:
im pretty sure the law only states that airsoft guns must be sold with an orange tip,nothing about the consumer removing it imo.

kwirknu,before he just painted the entire thing orange,had his AK pistol muzzle break painted orange.

i think there should be laws about requiring there to be an orange or red tip left on at all times,and to make it a crime to do that to real firearms though.

i can see somebody doing that with a real firearm,and then somebody else getting ahold of it and shooting somebody in the back because they thought it wasnt real.
cite.
it would be ridiculous to have a law not allowing me to paint a toy (model) gun how i wanted to. as long as i'm not trying to hold up a bank with it or threatening someone with it, all is cool.

mitunnelrat

imported post

FatboyCykes wrote:
autosurgeon wrote:
NO disrespect to the OP but he smells funny...
That's preposterous! And rude.
Well played sir! I can neither confirm nor deny whether or not "I" smell "funny", though I have been told at one point or another in my life to put some deodorant on...

However, as for the situation smelling funny, I would agree, the events as related to me did smell funny, that's why I brought it up here. If there are inconsistencies they are due to my fuzzy recollection, and if it is too smooth... I will take that as a compliment to my impressive prose and verbose writing style :D

I won't continue beating on this topic, but a few facts on my source(some of this can be vetted with my post history):

This "somebody" is a man I've known since 05/2000, when I was hired by a local security company to conduct armed patrols. He was on the afternoon shift, I worked nights. We've done numerous trades and deals as each of us has fallen on hard times at one point or another ( or we just "have got to have that ________ sitting in your safe" :D ) I've learned more about hunting from him than I ever did from my own father, and he was the best man at my wedding. I have called him my "gun guru" for years, and routinely call him to ask obscure questions on a wide variety of arms and ammunition. It is rare he doesn't know what I'm asking about.

His primary complaint is with the gun culture being so divided, which is what started this story rolling btw, he was telling me one of those business owners I mentioned was saying "I have a CPL, I don't carry all the time, but when I do... ... I would never act like those guys. I am against OC."

Has anyone here not heard some variation of that yet?

OC against CC. CC against OC. Hunting against tactical, tactical against OC... Seriously, look at the distrust I've engendered simply relaying an experience a friend shared with me! Its no wonder our rights get infringed in the legislature, we're too busy arguing with each other to notice. Don't believe me? Go to MGO and state you're pro OC, assuming you haven't yet, and see what happens.

I trust my friend, I know his background and beliefs, which is why I was even comfortable posting this to begin with. He isn't some jackass I see at the water cooler sometimes who knows how to push my buttons.

Like I said though, make of it what you will, I just found the situation strange and passed along what I heard and my own opinion on it. I believe my friend, and I believe the approach used by those three gentlemen did do more harm than it did good. Not everybody expresses their intentions or ire on an internet forum.

stainless1911

Banned
imported post

mitunnelrat wrote:
OC against CC. CC against OC. Hunting against tactical, tactical against OC... Seriously, look at the distrust I've engendered simply relaying an experience a friend shared with me! Its no wonder our rights get infringed in the legislature, we're too busy arguing with each other to notice. Don't believe me? Go to MGO and state you're pro OC, assuming you haven't yet, and see what happens.

+1 even though I have been guilty of the same. Those dang CCers hiding their rights...

And I think this guy is being straight with us.

MK

imported post

The story definitely sounds like a group of non OC'ers trying to give OC a bad name.