• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restore the Constitution OC rally, Aug 14th, Greensboro

BARELY ILLEGAL

imported post

Time: August 14, 2010 from 1pm to 4pm
Street: 2331 New Garden Rd
City/Town: Greensboro, NC

I’ll be there, OC'ing. If you couldn’t make it to the first one in April, this is your chance to be a part of one of these. Your rights: use ‘em or lose ‘em.

I'm pretty sure my GA permit is honored by NC. Anyone knowledgeable in NC carry law see any problem with anyone from other states OC'ing there as well?

BTW, it looks like most of the participants will be from NC.

Restore the Constitution.

Restore the Rule of Law.

http://restoretheconstitution.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/restore-the-constitution-rally-august-14th-in-nc/

chiefjason

imported post

If you can legally possess a firearm you can OC it in NC. NC honors the GA permits. Check here.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/georgia.pdf

The law that gets batted around about not carrying at demonstrations is this one. Read it and decide for yourself. You can argue it several ways.

14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.
(b) For the purposes of this section the term "dangerous weapon" shall include those weapons specified in G.S. 14‑269, 14‑269.2, 14‑284.1, or 14‑288.8 or any other object capable of inflicting serious bodily injury or death when used as a weapon.
(c) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person exempted by the provisions of G.S. 14‑269(b) or to persons authorized by State or federal law to carry dangerous weapons in the performance of their duties or to any person who obtains a permit to carry a dangerous weapon at a parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration from the sheriff or police chief, whichever is appropriate, of the locality where such parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration is to take place.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

Did not realize it was NPS till I looked it up.

nobama

imported post

Where would that fall under? I would love to cary, but I dont want to be the only one. Anyone?

Preble

High Point, North Carolina, United States
imported post

I'd live to carry there also, but I wanna know for sure I can.
Grass roots has a nice thing they posted. I have a link to it on the post "new to charolette"

Worse come to worse, toss the blue gun in the holster.

chiefjason

imported post

I carried an empty holster at the local tea party rally. BUT, it was at the county courthouse, so that trumped any argument about demonstrations. If it would have been on private property I would have likely carried.

If a LEO says something it will likely be to spout the line, "You can't carry at demonstrations." The law seems to only say you can't carry at a demonstration at a private health care facility. If you carry, I would have a copy of the law with me.

Holy crap Batman, look what the AG has to say about this in the firearms laws booklet. Oddly, it is nothing like what the law actually says. I've never compared the 2 till now. See upper case, mine. That is NOT what the law says. HMMMMM?

4. Events Occurring In Public Places
North Carolina law further makes it unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, OR DEMONSTRATION UPON ANY PUBLIC PLACE, owned or under the control of the State of North Carolina, or any of its political subdivisions, to willfully or intentionally possess, or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-277.2 Persons exempted from the provisions of N.C.G.S. § 14- 269(b) are not bound by this prohibition. These persons are set forth in Paragraph III. A. of this publication. A concealed handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon in these areas. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Holy crap Batman, look what the AG has to say about this in the firearms laws booklet. Oddly, it is nothing like what the law actually says. I've never compared the 2 till now. See upper case, mine. That is NOT what the law says. HMMMMM?

4. Events Occurring In Public Places
North Carolina law further makes it unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, OR DEMONSTRATION UPON ANY PUBLIC PLACE, owned or under the control of the State of North Carolina, or any of its political subdivisions, to willfully or intentionally possess, or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-277.2 Persons exempted from the provisions of N.C.G.S. § 14- 269(b) are not bound by this prohibition. These persons are set forth in Paragraph III. A. of this publication. A concealed handgun permit does not allow a permittee to carry a weapon in these areas. N.C. Gen. Stat. § 14-415.11(c)

Here's what I just found:

§ 14‑277.2. Weapons at parades, etc., prohibited.(a) It shall be unlawful for any person participating in, affiliated with, or present as a spectator at any parade, funeral procession, picket line, or demonstration upon any private health care facility or upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions to willfully or intentionally possess or have immediate access to any dangerous weapon. Violation of this subsection shall be a Class 1 misdemeanor. It shall be presumed that any rifle or gun carried on a rack in a pickup truck at a holiday parade or in a funeral procession does not violate the terms of this act.

Source Link: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/EnactedLegislation/Statutes/HTML/BySection/Chapter_14/GS_14-277.2.html

I think that this means we cannot carry there as participants in the event.

mekender

imported post

Since the Guilford Courthouse Battleground Park is a federal park, does that prohibition on carrying at demonstrations apply?

chiefjason

imported post

Ruger, you have the NCGS quoted. It's the same as my first post. My second post has the AG's opinion. The difference in the two is what I find interesting. The AG's interpretation may have been the intention of the lawmakers, but it is by no means what the law says. However, the AG's opinion is closer to what I have heard from most CCP instructors. It's a very interesting discrepancy.

Mek, state law is applied to the NPS. That was the crux of the new law. The question is how this law is applied. All NC state firearms laws apply within NPS units in NC.

mekender

imported post

chiefjason wrote:
Ruger, you have the NCGS quoted. It's the same as my first post. My second post has the AG's opinion. The difference in the two is what I find interesting. The AG's interpretation may have been the intention of the lawmakers, but it is by no means what the law says. However, the AG's opinion is closer to what I have heard from most CCP instructors. It's a very interesting discrepancy.

Mek, state law is applied to the NPS. That was the crux of the new law. The question is how this law is applied. All NC state firearms laws apply within NPS units in NC.

No the law that allowed the carrying of guns in national parks said they were subject to the laws of state they are in. NC statute on protests and the like specifically says "upon any public place owned or under the control of the State or any of its political subdivisions." A national park would not fit in that definition as a place under the control of the state of NC.

Now, I am not willing to say that I am right without a lawyer ruling on this one so don't just carry there cus I said so.

glockaholic

Ruger

Occupied Greensboro, North Carolina, United States
imported post

TheFreeman wrote:
So has anyone figured out if it is legal to OC there? Apparently it really depends on who owns the place.
Because it is a National Park & not a State Park it is not owned or maintained by the state. It falls under the Dept. of the Interior (Federal Government). The NC state law regarding prohibitions on carrying at demonstrations pertains to demonstrations upon private healthcare facilities and public places that are owned/maintained by the state.

Carry on! :celebrate

elixin77

imported post

The RoE that Glockaholic also listed stated that there will be loaded sidearms and unloaded rifles/shotguns present, so that leads me to assume that the organizer has either gotten the chief of police's OK on this, or, (and much more likely) since this is being held on a national park, then it's all fine and dandy.

I for one will be attending, and one of my friends will probably be attending as well.

Anyone else planning on coming?

nobama

imported post

I will go. Anyone OCing? Sounds legal to me, but I bet there might be some flack from someone PD? If enough people do go and OC, I would say there is more less likely to be hastled.

nobama

imported post

I went on the website yesterday when I got home, and from what I read, you can carry. There are rules such as any long gun needs to be unloaded, slinged with muzzle down, handguns holstered but may be loaded with one in the chamber. If Im reading this right, its a go.

mekender

imported post

wethepeople wrote:
I went on the website yesterday when I got home, and from what I read, you can carry. There are rules such as any long gun needs to be unloaded, slinged with muzzle down, handguns holstered but may be loaded with one in the chamber. If Im reading this right, its a go.

Link?