• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Santa Barbara Independent - Bill to ban open carry would make mincemeat of second amendment

Mike

Site Co-Founder
imported post

http://www.independent.com/news/2010/jun/08/keep-and-bear

[align=center]To Keep and to Bear

[align=center]Bill to Ban Open Carry Would Make Mincemeat of Second Amendment[/align]

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

[align=center]By Tyler Johnson[/align]

[align=center][/align]

[align=center]“I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. “ More on that in a second.[/align]

Today, I openly carried an unloaded firearm. I was not in danger, I was not trying to intimidate anyone, and I’m not even a redneck. I did it because it was legal, I have a right to, and that right is being threatened with being taken away.
[/align]
. . .

The Second Amendment needs to be defended as much as any other, yet it seems to divide people more strongly than the others do. It is a right that is only necessary when things are at their worst, but no matter how much you wish that worst never comes, the right must be protected.

. . .

In closing, am I against gun control? Not entirely. When it comes to firearms, I believe responsibility in ownership is important above all. AB 1934 is not about responsibility. It’s about denying a legal and Constitutional right.

. . .

Tyler Johnson lives in Santa Barbara. He is not a Republican and was not born in Texas.

imported post

Not entirely against gun control but wants to defend the 2nd amendment?
Where do these people come from?
Sounds to be a strong candidate for lifetime membership in the NRA.
He DOES seem to comprehend the 2nd is NOT about hunting or shooting burglars.

AZkopper

imported post

No, sadly, he doesn't undestand it. But, that notwithstanding, I will not forsake his support, insofar as it is against further infrindgement. In his position, heis easier to enlighten and inform than a true anti.

AZkopper

imported post

mark edward marchiafava wrote:
If you don't agree, you must be reading different words.
Read it again, even Ray Charles can see it.

My bad. Somehow I read another thread on the Chicago gun ban, then this one, and then idiotically commented on the Chicago here. :uhoh:

So, yes, I was reading different words....on a whole different thread.

CrossFire

imported post

I do not think I like that "he was not born in Texas" thing. Are they saying there is something wrong with being born in texas or are they just calling me a redneck cowboy?:cuss:

bad_ace

Anti-Saldana Freedom Fighter
imported post

Texas = "Home of the Cowboy" to lots of elites and "intellectuals". Oddly enough I can open carry here in California (Home of the fruits and nuts), with restrictions. But you can't in Texas. Weird.

People have even said to me, "This isn't Texas!"

Quartermaster

imported post

Open Letter to Lori Saldaña, Rep 76th Dist., San Diego, CA

Capitol Office
State Capitol
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 94249-0076
(916) 319 - 2076
(916) 319 - 2176 Fax

District Office
1557 Columbia Street
San Diego, CA 92101
(619) 645-3090
(619) 645-3094 Fax

RE: AB1934 and AB1810
DATE: June 8, 2010

Take away citizens rights? At least 3 rights. For little to no reason.
1. Right to carry openly in public.
2. Deletes option of a Judge to dismiss or reduce penalty under PC12037 (c) (2) for a first offense.
3. Would make a valid CCW holder a criminal if the concealed weapon were to inadvertently become an Open Carry. This would apply to holders who
could be lawyers, judges, and yes some politicians even.
Respectfully, I oppose your AB1934 and AB1810 very strongly. And I have not been prone to write to politicians.

Why not spend your time on the important issues facing us:
A. Jobs
B. Jobs.
C. Jobs
D. Government Spending.
E. Government Taxes.
F. Crime and criminals.
G. Education

Etc. There are so many things your constituents need you to be doing instead of trampling on the rights of your constituents who are doing no harm to others.

P.S. Your claim is that your bill is to make it so police would not have to respond to a call of a man with a gun. Is it not their job to respond? And are they so busy that they cannot respond? And if they have other higher priority duties, fine. People needlesly call 911 and police already, for some of the most bogus reasons. Ask any 911 operator. Your attempt to help eradicate the 2nd Amendment is not very appealing.

I suggest you read the Supreme Court's ruling of June 2008. It says "it is not the role of this Court to declare the 2nd Amendment extinct. "
Neither is it your role, Lori Saldaña.

Respectfully,
David Mehaffey
421 E. Palm Ave.
Orange, CA 92866-7601

cc: Open Carry forum
San Diego Union-Tribune Opinion

Cowboy_Rick

imported post

Can't be both, REDNECK and COWBOY-the Cowboys came from the South West came froma SPANISHphraise relating to the horse that he rode (cobayo (sp) male horse) the REDNECK originated in ALABAMA (FIRST union employee to revolt against their employer-wore Red Scarves about their necks).