• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry of Missouri Motto

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

I have spent quite some time to come up with an original motto that expresses our OC, has a "Show Me" state feel to itanda defiantpride in it. I have put it on a shirt to show it. I know my own reasons for OC and I have spoken to several of the other inSt Louis/St Charles about their OC, but I want to see if my perspective is in line with others. Please feel free to give me input, for thissomething I will like to supportthe "Open Carry of Missouri"movement and community.

Doc

designallCAWTCCU9.jpg

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

I do not like it.

I think it reinforces the rift between those whom choose concealed carry and those whom choose open carry by implying those whom conceal have something to "hide" in a negative way.

There are a host of reasons one might choose either over the other but the cause remains the same, fundamental application of the national and state constitution and the right to make either choice.

I made it clear at Starbucks why my I choose concealed. As long as Missouri is an employment at will state, there are a lot of implications beyond the basic right for many parties, myself included.

If you consider 55% of the folks support firearms deregulation to the core law of the land, then about 25% fully and vocally support OC IMHO. There are MANY gun owners who support their own right to carry, but think they are qualified to decide for others when they should or should not carry, these are not the parties that come here or to CCW webspaces, they are the ones with a 30-30 under the bed for deer hunting and a 38 in the night stand they inherited years ago.

So while you may or may not agree with the concept of CCW, I would suggest a bit of consideration for how something like this might push them further away from supporting your cause as they/we are allies and some of us fully support your thoughts even if we do not actively participate in the practice. I am just not sure insulting them by implication has a positive impact on your cause or gains you additional allies.

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

I am a person who likes to have freedoms and choices. For the record. I completely support conceal carry and odd as it may sound I even have no issue with the regulations the state has to be a CCW holder.
We have come such a pandering society that freedoms and choiceshave been taken from us to ease theworries ofparanoid people. Though the media andelected officialshave fed on these people for there own means and have re-enforced a culture of fear reaction-ism to fix all that all that has ever gone wrong in the world.

So that leads us to where I am today. Enduring to show thatI will use myGod given right to beprepared to defendmy selfin an efficient manner(ie a gun). If doing so truly offends someone, than I can only imaginethatperson believes that only their style of carry is the right one for everyone or is an anti firearms person to whom is in denial to the possibility ofthem becoming a victim.

I would not be a good politician. In all that is important I would rather loose in honor than win in deceit.

Doc

OCMO-gun-120.gif

imported post

sohighlyunlikely wrote:
I am a person who likes to have freedoms and choices. For the record. I completely support conceal carry and odd as it may sound I even have no issue with the regulations the state has to be a CCW holder.
We have come such a pandering society that freedoms and choiceshave been taken from us to ease theworries ofparanoid people. Though the media andelected officialshave fed on these people for there own means and have re-enforced a culture of fear reaction-ism to fix all that all that has ever gone wrong in the world.

So that leads us to where I am today. Enduring to show thatI will use myGod given right to beprepared to defendmy selfin an efficient manner(ie a gun). If doing so truly offends someone, than I can only imaginethatperson believes that only their style of carry is the right one for everyone or is an anti firearms person to whom is in denial to the possibility ofthem becoming a victim.

I would not be a good politician. In all that is important I would rather loose in honor than win in deceit.

Doc

OCMO-gun-120.gif

+100 Doc...........We have become such a pussified society that we have become afraid of our own shadow. The state legislature has a unconstitutional law on the books but people don't want to ruffle any feathers by trying to get it repealed.

By the way I love the logo. To hell with what the whiners might think if they see someone wearing a shirt with that logo on it.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

My requested opinion did not reference the logo, it referenced the language used above it.

I simply pointed out, it has a negative tone on those whom choose concealed over open.

This board is littered with references to a lack of support from the CCW crowd and I am simply stating that if support for open carry is to continue to grow, care not to insult those whom are the most likely candidates to join the OC movement.

Your not going to garner the lazy and disinterested, your not going to win over most of the anti's, and the CCW advocates are all but lazy. No matter how hard you try and build interest in a person, if you piss them off first, you got a hell of a battle to gain their support.

They say the proof is in the pudding, well a few short months ago OC was pretty much a non-issue for me. I had done it for years however, not so much since moving away from the farm. Coming back to MO from Fl, CCW was a major issue to me. I am in fact old enough to grasp the issue of OC being even discussed as it used to be ok/normal and CCW was the evil choice as you had something to "hide" and why would you NEED to hide your gun if you were law abiding.

While I do not shy away from things when someone pisses me off (I think there is evidence of that here on this board) most folks do. The OC movement from my view has moved from infant, through childhood and is in that young adult stage, the one where they are not the fringe group of radicals as they often get labeled. Additional support is needed if successful change is indeed the goal and while I mean no insult to anyone, folks pecking on a keyboard because they have nothing else to do are not the ones whom will make change, they are the ones whom shall brag about being part of it, but the ditch digging efforts will be born of a few.

This could well be a very telling year come August and significant corrections to things could be very real by 2012, turning off a group of folks whom have dug in before and indeed fought with honor for progress on a different goal is unwise.

We will see our goals met when a sizable effort is all moving in the same direction, anything that potentially drives folks apart is counter productive. The anti's are weak right now, weaker than they have been in years if not decades, now is the time to extend the power of the truth and ALL move the same direction.

Its only a shirt, but it is a propaganda shirt, make sure the message sent is the message you want received by those most likely to actually do something.

Why do I feel so strongly about it, quite frankly because I am not very good at it!

An opinion, nothing more, well a little more, an opinion that does get expressed at the voting places :)

cshoff

imported post

I have to agree with LMTD here. Most of the CCW advocates I know either outright support OC, or they are indifferent towards it. Very few actually oppose it, at least, that's been my experience.

It would be wise for those in the OC community to learn from and borrow from the folks who stoked the fires, pounded the pavement, rounded up the support, and basically got down and dirty in the political trenches of our State Capitol to get one of the best CCW programs in the country enacted here in this state. And they did it in spite of a anti-gun Governor who vetoed the bill and then later, a court ruling that required the funding language in the bill to be amended. These folks know how to organize, know how to lobby, and know how to make the very reluctant wheels turn in Jeff City.

To me, it only hurts the momentum the OC movement appears to have right now, to make any kind of statement that would foster a "us vs. them" mentality (whether purposefully or inadvertently). No need to burn a bridge that may well be needed at a later date.

sohighlyunlikely

imported post

Cshoff, If you think the the majority of the CCW crowd supports OC. May I suggest you read the archives of OC discussions on Missouricarry and get back with to me on that one.

LMTD, You speak in a manner that makes me believe the political chess game of keeping friendly with some whom despise your efforts, to defeat the common foeI'm sure is asound theory.But it is to much politicking for me. Just not my style.

I open carry because I do not wish to keep a gun under the vial of secrecy. Just my stylenot to hide it. If my words of why I do what I do offend the CCW loving crowd. Know I will not bend to make piece for political reasons. Just not my style.

Win, Lose or Draw. I will be true to what I believe and who I am. (My Style)

Doc

OCMO-gun-120.gif

cshoff

imported post

sohighlyunlikely wrote:
Cshoff, If you think the the majority of the CCW crowd supports OC. May I suggest you read the archives of OC discussions on Missouricarry and get back with to me on that one.
I'd be happy to. What you will find is, like I said, the majority of those folks are either pro-OC, or indifferent about it. Very, very few of them are anti-OC.

In reality, the pro-CCW crowd is probably the group that will be the easiest to get on board with an aggressive OC agenda.

LMTD

Accomplished Advocate
imported post

sohighlyunlikely wrote:
LMTD, You speak in a manner that makes me believe the political chess game of keeping friendly with some whom despise your efforts, to defeat the common foeI'm sure is asound theory.But it is to much politicking for me. Just not my style.
Oh no Sir, it is nothing like chess at all. Chess has rules and boundaries under which one can employ a variety of tactics and plans to control the output.

The regaining of rights stripped from us is a lot more like high stakes poker. Some of the players bluff (Obama promised to restrict rights more, however he has yet to play that hand) we have legislators whom have pledged support only to sit on bills never even bringing them to committee. They may find that term limits from the voice of the voter get employed.

The problem with poker is, most folks have the illusion it is about wining the hand when in reality it is about raking the pot. Having pocket aces (2a and Mo A1,23) are great starting hands, but if you do not watch the game and the players involved, it is not wise to go all in every time you have the best starting hand.

While I understand your position completely and respect it 100%, I am also aware that you understand that folks whom are well versed in the political game need to be bending ears in your favor at a higher rate than anti's or your efforts will indeed fail to rake the pot.

Three basic roles to leadership, Commander, Partner, facilitator.

The commander makes a call without input, demands performance, expects unquestioned compliance.

The partner seeks out input, evaluates many options, presents the call he makes to those he leads for buy in, initiates the call, expects everyone's best performance.

The facilitator request constant input, molds that input into an effective plan, asks leading questions to get those they lead to develop the plan themselves and then ask them to initiate their plan effectively, he expects them to perform far beyond what they think their abilities are as they have ownership of the plan and vested interest in its success so they will work harder than those thinking someone else did it.

A basic ideal is that any group needs to progress through those steps and different persons need to work within the role that suites them best. Most effective leaders use some of each of those roles and understands when it is time to move forward or even backwards when striving for a goal.

Someone with the my way or the highway commander leadership style only will have those whom shall follow, if they are really good at it, they may develop more than a few. They also will have those whom support their cause, but lack effort as they never feel a part of the team.

On a final note, if one never considers the impact their words and actions have on others, why would others ever consider ones actions?